SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    TX/OK/AR Snowpocalypse 2023
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TX/OK/AR Snowpocalypse 2023 Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Rain started back up here last night, supposed to continue on through at least Thursday.
Hoping to not have a repeat of the lawn mess.
On a positive note, all of this rain made my annual lawn soil sample a cake walk. Much better than the years I'm probing something akin to concrete.

Who do you take your sample to?
Probably won't do anything until next year, since our yard is going to be destroyed this spring, having a pool put in.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15322 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I mail it to Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service. Use their Urban and Homeowner Soil Sample Information Form. I did R + Micro in '21, and did R + Tex in '22.

I have a nice lawn, but it's takes a lot of sweat and money to overcome my builder. The street is in the 500 year flood plain, but the house is not. The mix they put on top of the clay has hardly any organic matter (i.e. mostly sand), and a thin layer of top soil. Jan 2021 the pH was 8.4 and one treatment got it to 8.2 by Jan 2022. Treated it 4x last year so curious where I'm at pH. I also did lots of work on increasing organic matter, and trying to fight my enginerd need for data (i.e. R + OM + Tex).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I mail it to Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service. Use their Urban and Homeowner Soil Sample Information Form. I did R + Micro in '21, and did R + Tex in '22.

I have a nice lawn, but it's takes a lot of sweat and money to overcome my builder. The street is in the 500 year flood plain, but the house is not. The mix they put on top of the clay has hardly any organic matter (i.e. mostly sand), and a thin layer of top soil. Jan 2021 the pH was 8.4 and one treatment got it to 8.2 by Jan 2022. Treated it 4x last year so curious where I'm at pH. I also did lots of work on increasing organic matter, and trying to fight my enginerd need for data (i.e. R + OM + Tex).

I'll have to look into that & do some leanin'
Usually just done Scott's weed/feed & called it good.

Posts: 15322 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I was happy to be able to test out the Michelin Crossclimate 2 I had installed on my wife's WRX 2 weeks ago in our snowmageddon. They were brilliant in about 10 inches, and I was able to get mimosa fixins

Posts: 4019 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scratchy:
I was happy to be able to test out the Michelin Crossclimate 2 I had installed on my wife's WRX 2 weeks ago in our snowmageddon. They were brilliant in about 10 inches, and I was able to get mimosa fixins

We got a set of those in the fall because they stopped making Premier AS in our size (245-45/17). Best rain tire I have ever driven. Good to know they did well on snow. Cool

Very aggressive tread pattern.

Posts: 7256 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Been raining all day, ditches got about 80% full, break un the rain let the drain pretty quickly.
Back to off & on heavy spurts, supposed to be 4 more days of this.

I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Been raining all day, ditches got about 80% full, break un the rain let the drain pretty quickly.

Man, send some of that my way. Western KS farmers need moisture bad right now. Last year’s wheat crop was pathetic and the milo (sorghum) was non-existent. Need some moisture for a rebound this year.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Hopefully it's blowing your way

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
I emptied my rain gauge mid-afternoon at 6-1/3" of combined rainfall for yesterday and today. We got more rain since I emptied it.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've had to clear the leaves out of my French drains a couple times today. Not that it's mattered much, sine the outlets were below the waterline in the ditches most of the day

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The temp dropped faster than expected, so the rain from yesterday froze over on the roads, leading to problems this morning. And because it was raining, the roads couldn't be pretreated.

From there, we're supposed to get additional ice in three bands between today and Wednesday, with it not getting above freezing throughout. Ice accumulation could reach half an inch or more.

That's approaching "serious ice storm" territory, but the fact that it's arriving gradually over the next several days might help a little, compared to dumping a half inch of ice all in one fell swoop.

Regardless, it's bound to be an interesting week, with shitty roads, loads of accidents, and likely widespread power outages once the ice starts to weigh down tree limbs and power lines.

Even the police academy is shutting down through Wednesday, which is uncommon.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s been pouring ice and thundering this morning around Tulsa. I’m hearing more thunder now. It’s 23 deg F now. Gonna be a crazy week.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
A sheet of ice here in Branson, we will be staying home for a day or two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Unrelated to this
Our Permian ops have advised their office folks to prepare to work remotely. Guess they've got sub-freezing temps & some precipitation to deal with.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
At 7AM I heard rainfall, it was 17 degrees.

A few minutes later it changed to what we call Thunder-Booming. Just a moment later it started dropping ice balls, which is not sleet, it's more like very tiny hail but not as hard as hail.

A few minutes later it snowed for about 30 minutes, then switched to rain. The rain cleared the snow which turned to freezing ice.

I had the TV on and of course all the local stations had their reporters either driving around or standing on various intersections and reporting the same thing: Hey Folks, it's icing up, the roads are bad!

Well Duh!

By 7:30 the morning commute to work turned in to a mess, cars sliding, wrecking, a few playing "turtle".

I am so glad I'm retired and don't have to get out in this stuff anymore.

It's still too icy on the patio to fire up the grill, I have burgers to cook.

It's 21 degrees now and there is no more news about the Beet Juice they were using to clear some roads last week.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
We're heading into our third day of further icefall. Some parts of the NWA metroplex have received 1.5" of ice so far!

There's one more band of icy precipitation coming through Wednesday evening into Thursday morning that's supposed to drop another 0.2" or so of additional ice.

Wrecks abound on the roads the last two days, especially yesterday morning. But amazingly, no major widespread power outages around here, despite the heavy layer of ice. Must have gotten all that out of its system last week.

And it's finally going to start climbing above freezing about midday on Thursday. So with the precipitation done and the temps slowly rising, we should be done with it by Friday.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We havnt got much its dry outside but had thunder and sleet yesterday 17 degrees.

Posts: 449 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Low-Mid 30s here in Houston.
Drizzly rain, which I'll take over the deluge we had last week/weekend.

Personally, this is winter weather for me, which I don't mind. As long as it doesn't dip into freezing territory, I'm not opposed.

For our folks getting the worse of it, keep warm & safe.

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
In the Ft Worth area, high 20s, and the ground is still covered in snow/ice, some areas 2" thick. Was going to go shooting today, but decided it wasn't worth driving in this weather. No glitches in power delivery so far. Yesterday looking out my window, I saw some kids sledding on the golf course, looked like fun.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16696 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Power out for 21 hours now with no estimate of when it will be restored and it’s not even that bad here as far as ice and sleet. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post