SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting
Page 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... 97

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
the video is old, but the media has not gotten a smidgen smarter since they made it.

Pretty sure Dan Rather consulted on it.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KXL3X4UR5R0" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

WOw... just wow....

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37983 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Limits to free speech and limits to the right to keep and bear arms.

First, we may have limits to free speech, but no one will limit a person’s right to speak out in protest of being wrongfully imprisoned or if any other rights (liberty or freedom for example) are threatened.

Ask anyone if any of that “speech” should be limited, then ask what speech is, or should be limited. (like the old shouting fire in a theater bit)

Now, if a tyrannical government were to try and wrongfully imprison or that any other rights (liberty or freedom for example) are threatened, what limits to use of deadly force are acceptable or unacceptable to one who needs to use deadly force in order to prevent that or fight back?

That, is the point.

The 2nd is not about “sport shooting”, it is not about “hunting”, it is about using the greatest amount of deadly force against anyone who would wrongfully deny an individual’s God given rights to freedom, and liberty, that’s it, Nothing else.

The argument is simple as it can be.

Everything that the leftist’s seek to take, always ends up with the elimination of any and all means to resist imposition of rule over the free individual.

The water always flows to the sea. It cannot be stopped. The only way it can be prevented from reaching the sea is to put it in a container impervious to the flow of water.

Arms are that container. Arms contain the "water" of tyranny and oppression, and "prevent it" from flowing to the sea.

If you have no impervious container. There is nothing that can contain the water. Not one thing.

Excellent summation!

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7072 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Denton County, Texas sheriff sent a memo to his department. I think his position and expectations are clear:

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
HE'S A COMPSTITUTIONAL SCHOLAR!!

He's a constipated scholar ... mentally constipated. Wink

S600MBUSA,
Thanks for making and sharing that video. More evidence of what a mindless, petulant bunch of twits the other side are.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Report This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:

Sorry, I couldn’t get past 45 seconds. It made my brain hurt and my dog howl.

Damn, you missed their most eloquent speakers!

Personally, I was persuaded by the guy who told us that he knows a thing or two about courage because he was on a sub rigged to blow with C4 during the cold war.

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Report This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
"I think it should be illegal for anyone to use an assault rifle to hunt down humans. I think it should be illegal to kill people with an assault rifle."

I agree. We should pass a law making killing people illegal. But let's not limit it to assault rifles. We should make it illegal to kill people in other fashions as well.

They should have gotten Chosen One to speak, and I believe he is much more intelligent and wise than they are:

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Report This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Apparently Coward County Sheriffs Office has been criticized for its response to the Fort Lauderdale Airport Shooting in January of 2017. Here is the link to it: Fort Lauderdale Airport Shooting 1 Year Later

Here was the statement from Coward County Sheriffs Office after that shooting:

The Broward County's Sheriff Office:

Our response to the initial active killer incident remains the same and will not be changed due to the proven success of having the subject in custody within 80 seconds. BSO deputies are prepared and trained to run into danger to ensure public safety and this protocol will continue.

What occurred 90 minutes later was influenced by human behavior and a perceived level of fear for personal safety. However, improvements can occur and under Sheriff Israel’s direction BSO has:

1- Increased patrols to include deputies carrying patrol rifles
2- Implemented a new program - Incident Containment Team (ICT) which is staffed by FLL assigned deputies who are/will receive enhanced training for a threat response
3- Implemented a new program – In addition to the current team of Bomb Detection K9’s, BSO invested in Vapor Wake K9’s that are used to detect explosive material without the need to identify a scent from a specific package
4- Provided refresher knowledge and training to command regarding self-dispatching, staging areas and the abandonment of vehicles on scene
5- Sheriff Israel met with the Broward County Police Chiefs at Sunrise PD shortly after the incident to discuss the need for inter-agency communication and multi-agency training.

It sounds like there aren't patrol rifles in every car and it sounds like only certain deputies were trained in active shooter response. Sounds like he spent more effort on training his command staff on how to run the Command Post than what to actually do.

Posts: 3938 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Report This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
The first one is gold:

"I think it should be illegal for anyone to use an assault rifle to hunt down humans. I think it should be illegal to kill people with an assault rifle."

Wow, what a radical idea! Is he just referring to Florida?

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Report This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
the video is old, but the media has not gotten a smidgen smarter since they made it.

Cool, one of them thar 12 gauge pump action AR-15s. SuhWeet!

Morons!!!

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

...Let's see if truancy laws actually stop truancy.

While a walkout to protest "gun violence" may not reach the level of truancy, many schools are not doing anything about it:

http://www.syracuse.com/news/i...aceful_protests.html

http://qconline.com/news/local...b4-dd3e7ffe9b39.html

http://qctimes.com/opinion/col...b9-a2cb81b51a58.html

http://www.newsobserver.com/ne...rticle202394244.html

I expect students who protest abortion or raising of the long gun age to 21 will get the same free pass.

Sure they will...

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
So, how about if I organized a group of my student peers to walk out and protest the assault on something that is actually current law? Think I'll get the same latitude in almost any of these districts?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12429 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Did you know they recovered Val Demmings stolen Glock some time ago? Oh, you didn't? Gee, I wonder if that's because the local media refused to report the story. I on the other hand obtained the info from one of the OCSO officers I know. When you know the rest of the story you'll understand why the media stayed as far away from it as they could.
You gonna leave us hanging, or are you going to tell us "the rest of the story?"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30696 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
quote:

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KXL3X4UR5R0" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

WOw... just wow....

Yeah, nice shotgun.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
We can't arm teachers because it's -wait for it - RACIST.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.56d27992cc1d

Arming teachers would put black and Latino kids in danger

For students of color, guns in classrooms could be deadly.

By Stacey Patton February 27 at 6:00 AM

Stacey Patton is an assistant professor of multimedia journalism at Morgan State University and the author of "Spare The Kids: Why Whupping Children Won’t Save Black America."

President Trump wants to arm teachers to prevent, or reduce the carnage from, future school shootings like the one at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., this month. “A teacher would have shot the hell out of him before he knew what had happened,” Trump said last week about the attacker in Florida. He’s not the only one who thinks this is a good idea: Several states are already considering legislation to allow guns to be carried into schools, ostensibly to protect kids.

But putting guns into the hands of schoolteachers would be extraordinarily dangerous for black and Latino students, who are already often forced to try to learn in hostile environments where they’re treated as threats.

How long would it be, if Trump’s plan became reality, before a teacher shoots a black student and then invokes the “I feared for my life” defense we continually hear from police officers who misinterpret young black people’s behavior with deadly consequences?

A mountain of data on persistent racial biases and disparities in education and on police presence in schools — as well as a recent increase in racial harassment in schools — makes it clear that kids of color won’t be safe if their teachers are carrying weapons.

Those children are the ones who always feel the brunt of policing inside and outside of schools. Most high-profile mass shootings have been committed by white men, but metal detectors, school police and armed guards are disproportionately placed in public schools with majority black and other nonwhite students, along with locked gates, random sweeps, and a host of other surveillance and security measures to maintain control in their schools. Research shows that such practices foster hostile environments that have contributed to racial disparities in school suspensions, expulsions and arrests leading to the “school-to-prison pipeline,” by pushing more students of color out of school and into the juvenile justice system.

[Harsh physical discipline is a daily risk for black children]

One report last year found that “school resource officers, who essentially function as law enforcement personnel, are more likely to be deployed on campuses with large numbers of black students.” A 2014 Department of Education publication reported that black students were disproportionately likely to be referred to school resource officers or arrested — they made up 16 percent of total enrollment but 27 percent of students referred to resource officers and 31 percent of students arrested in school-related matters. White students, who were 51 percent of the total, accounted for only 41 percent of resource officer referrals and 39 percent of arrests. Another study found that “implicit bias” on the part of teachers often means young black males in schools are seen as “irresponsible, dishonest and dangerous.” Considering that about four of every five teachers in U.S. public schools are white, there’s ample reason to worry about how that bias would play out with guns involved.

Already, we have a disturbing number of examples of white teachers mistreating black students. For example, Patricia Cummings, a middle school teacher in the Bronx borough of New York, made her seventh-grade students lie on the floor while she stepped on one student’s back to illustrate the trauma of the Middle Passage of the slave trade during Black History Month. White teachers and school officers have cut off black students’ hair and been accused of cutting the hoods off their jackets, slapped them, berated them with the n-word, tackled and thrown them across the classroom and allegedly snatched them out of their seats violently for not standing for the Pledge of Allegiance. Some teachers have been fired for posting racist rants on social media. Maybe that’s no surprise, though: A 2016 study in Denver Public Schools found that many teachers, especially young white women, are afraid of their black students. The report also found that white students are punished differently from their black counterparts for the same offenses. In one example, a white student deemed bored in class threw chairs around the classroom and was promoted to a higher math class while a black student was suspended for simply balling his fists.

So with good reason, black and Latino students, and their parents, would probably see arming teachers as a threat, even though the idea is supposed to be protecting kids. That would make it even harder than it already is to establish trust across racial lines in the classroom.

[Racism in schools is pushing more black families to homeschool their children]

No wonder teachers are already vehemently against Trump’s plan.

“I fear my little alternative high school of 100 students and 15 teachers will turn into an armed prison camp,” says Joe Lieb, an education consultant and activist who teaches at the Alternative Center for Excellence in Danbury, Conn., located just five minutes from Sandy Hook Elementary School. “By playing into this armed teacher agenda, we are setting up our at-risk students, especially our black and brown students, as targets for the pipeline as well as actual physical targets of teachers’ bullets. It is insanity driven by greed, prejudice and privilege.”

Anjene Davis works in the Charleston County Public School District in South Carolina, where more than 80 percent of the teachers are white women. Davis, a black man, says that “arming white teachers would be like trying to put out a fire with gasoline. In many cases, the little cultural nuances in black kids are often foreign to white teachers. Black assertiveness is seen as black hostility to white teachers, as opposed to the teachers recognizing that it is a strength in the black student. I fear that when black students stand up for themselves, white teachers will interpret that as the students attacking them.” Davis also fears that any black or Latino teachers who carry weapons to “protect” students would wind up being shot by police during an active-shooter crisis in their schools.

Teachers know what they really need to transform their classrooms and school into places of empowerment, and it’s not guns. On Twitter, they used the #ArmMeWith hashtag to list more important priorities: smaller classrooms, improved textbooks, adequate supplies and more resources for students with challenges.

These recent calls aren’t really about protecting young people. Calling for stricter policing, metal detectors and guns in schools is an attempt to change the subject from gun control. This is about protecting the narrative that white suburban schools are places of safety and preserving the idea that violence is elsewhere, that black and Latino youth represent danger. Even white children aren’t immune from the dangers of mass shootings in schools. If their families and governments can’t keep them safe, what reason is there to expect a mostly white teaching force to magically overcome the risks of implicit bias, prejudice and racial microaggressions to protect children of color whom they already have difficulties communicating with and perceive as threats?

“My biggest fear and disappointment is that I think many students and families of color would simply opt out of public education if arming teachers were to be enacted,” says Melissa Fontana Quiñones, a former special education teacher-turned school social worker at the Ohrenberger School in Boston. “Rightfully so. The fear would be absolutely legitimate, but disengagement would further divide us so much further. It would lead to a setback like never before in the movements for civil rights and human rights.”

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Good grief, who knew EVERY SINGLE THING revolved around race. These people don't even have to try. They can simply exist and blame society for all their failures. I'm not sure we can have a functioning society with the percentage of snowflakes voting. This experiment may be destined to fail.

Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Did you know they recovered Val Demmings stolen Glock some time ago? Oh, you didn't? Gee, I wonder if that's because the local media refused to report the story. I on the other hand obtained the info from one of the OCSO officers I know. When you know the rest of the story you'll understand why the media stayed as far away from it as they could.
You gonna leave us hanging, or are you going to tell us "the rest of the story?"

http://www.defensivecarry.com/...er-city-vehicle.html

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2...en-from-her-suv.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Icabod,

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Report This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Quite a bit of this is Projection, what these people are really saying is that they can't be trusted to protect their students and because of that they (teachers) shouldn't be trusted with any weapons; racism is being thrown in to muddle any solutions.

quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
Good grief, who knew EVERY SINGLE THING revolved around race. These people don't even have to try. They can simply exist and blame society for all their failures. I'm not sure we can have a functioning society with the percentage of snowflakes voting. This experiment may be destined to fail.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4336 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Report This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

But putting guns into the hands of schoolteachers would be extraordinarily dangerous for black and Latino students, who are already often forced to try to learn in hostile environments where they’re treated as threats.

How long would it be, if Trump’s plan became reality, before a teacher shoots a black student and then invokes the “I feared for my life” defense we continually hear from police officers who misinterpret young black people’s behavior with deadly consequences?

A mountain of data on persistent racial biases and disparities in education and on police presence in schools — as well as a recent increase in racial harassment in schools — makes it clear that kids of color won’t be safe if their teachers are carrying weapons.

Fine. Separate schools for blacks, latinos, and 'everybody else' (guess the white kids will be stuck in unfair competition with all those smart Asians Wink ). Black and latino teachers and staff for their respective schools. Problem solved.

My God, these people are idiots.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21850 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The Washington Post doesn't think much of teachers do they?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13403 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Broward State Attorney’s Opened At Least 66 Cases Of Criminal Misconduct Into Sheriff’s Office
Crimes that run the gamut from armed kidnapping to narcotics trafficking

Sara Carter February 27, 2018

Since 2012 there have been more than 66 investigations by the Broward County State Attorney's office into the Broward County Sheriff's office

Sheriff Scott Israel is coming under mounting criticism when it was discovered his deputies failed to enter the Stoneman Douglas High School during the shooting. Calls for his resignation are mounting.

David Schoen, a civil rights attorney, is representing the family of Jermaine McBean, an IT specialist who was killed by one of Sheriff Scott Israel's deputies in 2013. McBean was walking home with an unloaded air rifle he had purchased when confronted by the deputies and was killed. Schoen says Sheriff's Israel's failed leadership in the Sheriff's office puts citizens at risk.
There are more than 66 investigations by the Broward County State Attorney’s office into Broward County Sheriff’s deputies and employees, ranging from drug trafficking to kidnapping since 2012, according to a 2014 Brady list produced by the Broward State Attorney’s office. Many of the investigations occurred under embattled Sheriff Scott Israel’s watch, whose office is now under investigation for allegations that his deputies failed to allow first responders from treating patients at the scene of Stoneman Douglas High School shooting on Feb. 14, and failure of his deputies to enter the school during the rampage that left 17 people dead, according to reports.

Over the weekend Israel fought back on calls for his resignation saying the actions of his deputies were “[not] his responsibility” when they failed to enter the high school that was under siege by Nikolas Cruz, 19. Police responded to calls regarding Cruz over 45 times over a seven-year period, although Israel disputes the report, stating his office only received 23 calls during that time frame. The FBI also received a detailed call on Jan. 5, warning that Cruz had posted disturbing images of slaughtered animals and comments on his Instagram saying he wanted to kill people, according to reports. The FBI stated on Feb. 16, that the tip was not forwarded to the FBI Miami Field Office.

But Israel has long had been criticized for his leadership. While Israel is battling allegations that his office failed to appropriately respond to the Cruz shooting, he is also fighting a civil court case brought by the family of Jermaine McBean, an African-American information technology engineer. McBean was killed in 2013 by Israel’s deputies after they responded to a call that McBean was walking in his neighborhood with what appeared to be a weapon. It was an unloaded air rifle.

Police responded to calls regarding Cruz over 45 times over a seven-year period
McBean, who was listening to music on his earbuds, had just purchased the air rifle and was taking a 10-minute walk home from the store when the bag covering his air rifle blew off. A motorist called 911 saying they saw a man with what appeared to be a weapon but then stated to the 911 officer that it may be an air rifle, according to court records. McBean was eventually confronted by the Sheriff’s deputies Peter Peraza, Lt. Brad Ostroff and Sgt. Richard Laccera when he reached his apartment.

According to David Schoen, the attorney representing McBean’s family in the civil case against the defendants and Israel, witnesses at the scene said McBean’s air rifle was resting on his shoulders, with his arms slung over. McBean couldn’t hear the officers through the earbuds. According to witnesses and court records he eventually turned around and when he did, Peraza fired the shots that led to McBean’s death. Peraza, who had only been working as a deputy for a year, stated to the courts that he feared for his life.

“Approximately 66 BSO (Broward Sheriff’s Office) deputies and other employees, including supervisory personnel were arrested for, charged with, and/or convicted of crimes that run the gamut from Armed Kidnapping, to Battery, Assault, Falsifying records, Official Misconduct, Narcotics trafficking, and other crimes involving dishonesty and violence in the years immediately proceeding 2013 when Jermaine was killed. Most of the offenses on the list occurred in the years 2012-2013,” according to court records filed by Schoen against Israel and the Broward County Sheriff deputy defendants.

“Often the cases against BSO (Broward Sheriff’s Office) employees are resolved by guilty pleas resulting in short or no period of incarceration and a chance for the criminal record to be cleared after a period of time.”

Broward County Sheriff’s office could not be reached immediately for comment.

Three months after the shooting, Israel awarded two of the deputies the BSO’s prestigious “Gold Cross Award.” But under mounting criticism he later told reporters the deputies should not have received the awards, adding that he didn’t award the deputies but couldn’t investigate the matter because someone accidentally destroyed the paperwork, as reported.

Peraza was finally suspended more than two years after McBean’s killing when he finally was indicted for homicide, Schoen and court records state. A local judge dismissed the indictment on stand your ground, allowing the deputy to avoid a jury trial but the Florida Supreme Court, however, has taken the case on review and has vacated the lower court’s order, according to Schoen and recent reports.

The criminal section of the Department of Justice’s civil right’s division now has an open investigation into McBean’s death, Schoen said. Israel is always shifting blame and the “buck never stops with him,” Schoen said. The most current Brady list has not yet been made available and those numbers are expected to increase, he added.

He added that McBean’s family’s civil case against Israel clearly details the failed leadership under Israel.

Israel is named in Schoen’s lawsuit because he oversees “the training, hiring, retention, chain of command, supervision, disciplining, and firing.” He is named based on “supervisory liability, his policies, and for being directly a part of the cover-up through the award process and failure to discipline, thereby ratifying and encouraging in the future this kind of conduct and an environment that rewards it,” Schoen said.

Israel also spoke openly about the McBean case to the media and Schoen said Israel “misled the public as to the true facts surrounding the case,” according to the court documents.

Republican Florida Gov. Rick Scott was urged by 73 colleagues Sunday to suspend Israel.

“Sheriff Israel failed to maintain a culture of alertness, vigilance and thoroughness amongst his deputies,” said Florida House Speaker Richard Corcoran, in a letter released Sunday.

https://saraacarter.com/browar...duct-sheriff-israel/

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post