SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tax Refunds Taking A LONG Time This Year
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tax Refunds Taking A LONG Time This Year Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I filed at the deadline. I have never filed that late. Hopefully, they will process it soon.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Took us four months to get ours.

To add insult to injury I keep getting FB updates about all the wonderful things our Congressperson is doing in Washington and how she cares about her district.

Funny thing, I messaged her regarding the IRS mess and you know what I got for response? Bet you can guess……

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8139 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Finally got mine. 19 weeks.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16536 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of reasons why you should never arrange your affairs such that it results in a refund. As a former, now retired, tax accountant, let me tell you the best reason why you should never get a tax refund.

Sometime around 2012, the laws were changed such that if any state agencies were involved with the collection of debts, such as alimony or child support, the state would notify the IRS of the debt and the IRS would divert any refund to the state agency.

So even if you have never been to New Jersey, if New Jersey says you owe child support, the IRS will send your refund to New Jersey. When you call the IRS about your refund, they tell you they sent it to New Jersey and it is now up to you to contact the New Jersey agency and prove to them that it isn't your debt. This seldom ends well.

This is particularly a problem for people with names like Smith, Jones, Johnson and so forth.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I posted in this thread June 17th about irs snail mailing an id code. They did, it worked and my refund was direct deposited on July 8th.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
Finally got ours !!!. we (our preparer) filed electronically on the 7th of April. Checked the IRS web site last Friday after work, it said our return was completed and we should receive our refund within 7 days. After waiting ALL this TIME we are getting our money plus $15 more. !!!!!!

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4588 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Damn, my electronic return wasn't accepted until May 29th. Might be a nice Xmas present I suppose

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6345 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I file in two states. Federal and South Carolina came through fairly quick. New Mexico is still outstanding. I filed on May 7, Federal electronically, both states paper. Just talked to someone in New Mexico. They said it was because I also filed in South Carolina and didn't include the South Carolina return. Then they looked at their scanned image, and lo and behold, there it was. (That's the reason I filed paper - because they want proof I paid state taxes somewhere else too.) So at least it's moving forward, months later.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3302 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post