SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tax Refunds Taking A LONG Time This Year
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tax Refunds Taking A LONG Time This Year Login/Join 
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
What is this Tax Refund thing you speak of? Is that what you get when you make an interest free loan to the government? My goal is always to owe as much as possible without incurring a 2210 underpayment penalty.

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you have any unemployment income? IRS is holding all of those returns to recalculate based on the law change that you are allowed to exclude a certain amount of unemployment income. If this is the case your refund should go up.

Also being looked at are returns claiming they did not receive any stimulus payments. IRS are verifying these before paying them

Finally IRS is still way far behind. They are still working on 2019 returns. So some of these reviews are lining up after these.

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Go here: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Register and you can look at your account in various ways.

Yes, the unemployment issue is causing delays as is the poor reporting on the the stimulus payments. And, if that refund is 10K+, they will almost always slow it down and often send a letter by USPS, which could take weeks or months - not an IRS issue - and ask you to call them to verify, in fact, that you are PASIG. Hope you see your bucks soon.

But as a professional in the business, I'm not doing my job if the client doesn't owe them in the appropriate amount each and every year.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3765 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
To answer some of the questions:

No, our return isn’t particularly complicated. We do own one rental property and my wife gets a 1099 for her job but that’s about it. We’ve been in this same exact situation for 7 years now so I’m perplexed as to why it’s day 39 and no refund.

I checked with friends and they said they got their refund FASTER than previous years.

Maybe child tax credits or stimulus payments are holding this up, we did have a child in 2020 that I claimed toward previous stimulus payments on the return.

Posts: 33882 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
I'll be sending in my tax bill soon. That should accelerate the refunds!

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1490 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
That should accelerate the refunds!

Like not having the money/cash has ever stopped this administration from paying.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been on disability all last year so I’m getting my first refund in well over a decade. They were exiled last week and Federal showed up today.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ours was filed electronically end of February, took less than two weeks.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I filed 2nd week of March and got it like 6 days later. Super fast! Was not expecting that!! Or the almost $15,000 refund I got this year either ...

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Filed on the first date allowed and got a refund about 2 weeks later. Yes, I adjusted my with holding to avoid a refund in future. I had forgotten to do that when I retired from my retirement job, cutting my earned income in half.

The IRS was tasked with stimulus payments as well, which delayed the processing of some returns.

Posts: 17152 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Filed on 3/26 and got mine today (4/14). This was 2 dates before the expected range closed, so the estimates were right.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'm starting to wonder if the child tax credits are holding me up? Do any of you who got their refunds quickly have children age 0-17?

Posts: 33882 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I'm starting to wonder if the child tax credits are holding me up? Do any of you who got their refunds quickly have children age 0-17?

Yes. I have two.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I normally have to write a check when I file due to multiple income sources and not enough withholding to cover our tax liability. Fine line between not having enough withheld and having to pay a penalty. I've been adjusting my extra withholding for several years and last year I over did it a bit so we were due for a small refund.

Filed on Apr 1 and got the deposit today. Simple return, empty nesters so no dependents.

Glad I didn't have to do the phone drill.

Now to reduce the extra withholding so I don't get a refund next year.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
I filed early this year, on or about a 12 Feb. Finally got my refund yesterday.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caribouhunter
posted Hide Post
8 days from hitting submit to send to IRS to refund in bank account.
State of Michigan refund was about 18 days from post office mailing to deposit in bank account.

Posts: 420 | Location: White Lake TWP. - Michigan | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Taxes done in early March. State refund in less than a week. Fed refund 'still processing'

Never had it take this long. Last year I had the Fed refund first. Both were in 2-3 weeks.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38004 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Ours was accepted by the irs on 3/18 and have not received our refunds yet. Usually we have to pay but due to the closing of one of my businesses we are getting a nice refund this year...Maybe that’s the hold up.

I’ve been on the road for the past 3 weeks and will follow up on this when we get home in a week or so.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Something is definitely wrong. It’s now been 8 full weeks and still nothing. The longest we ever waited before was 4 weeks or so.

I am going to call the IRS tomorrow.

I am a little confused though, wouldn’t they have sent me a letter by this point if there was a problem?

Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Something is definitely wrong. It’s now been 8 full weeks and still nothing. The longest we ever waited before was 4 weeks or so.

I am going to call the IRS tomorrow.

I am a little confused though, wouldn’t they have sent me a letter by this point if there was a problem?

I'm in the same position - it's about eight weeks since my return was accepted electronically by the IRS. My numbers are about the same as last year, so I don't know what's holding things up.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16536 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post