SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film
Page 1 ... 92 93 94 95
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Our founders were very smart people. What type of system would they have drafted if they assumed corruptible men? When the US is gone, what learnings would be incorporated into the constitution of the new republic?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13074 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Link

Quentin Tarantino claims Alec Baldwin was responsible to 'some degree' for gun in fatal 'Rust' shooting

Quentin Tarantino explained Alec Baldwin was responsible "to some degree" for his gun on the set of "Rust."

A judge dismissed Baldwin's involuntary manslaughter charge in July mid-trial after finding the prosecution withheld exculpatory evidence from the defense. "Rust" cinematographer Halyna Hutchins died Oct. 21, 2021, after a gun Baldwin was holding fired on set. Tarantino shared his beliefs regarding guns on movie sets during an appearance on "Club Random" with Bill Maher.

"You're the perfect one to ask. Who has been on more sets than you?" Maher asked Tarantino.

"It's a situation, I think I'm being fair enough to say, that the armorer — the guy who handles the gun — is 90% responsible for everything that happens when it comes to that gun, but... the actor's 10% responsible," Tarantino said. "It's a gun. You are a partner in the responsibility, to some degree."

"So what do you do to test it?" Maher questioned.

They show it to you," Tarantino explained. "If there are steps to go through, you go through them. And it's done with due diligence, and you know it's f---ing for real all right."

"What should he have done?" Maher asked. "Should he have looked into the barrel?" The podcast host noted: "You can't shoot it because then you're like using it."

Tarantino explained the steps many industry experts claimed should have been taken in the moments before Baldwin was handed the gun on the "Rust" set. The steps include showing the barrel of the gun is clear and showing the actor the blanks inside the gun.

Representatives for Baldwin did not respond to Fox News Digital's immediate request for comment.

A jury found "Rust" armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed guilty of involuntary manslaughter in March. She is currently serving her 18-month sentence but plans to appeal following Baldwin's case dismissal.

"The state's willful withholding of this information was intentional and deliberate," Judge Mary Marlowe Sommer said inside the New Mexico courthouse just a few days into Baldwin's trial. "If this conduct does not rise to the level of bad faith, it certainly comes so near to bad faith as to show signs of scorching prejudice.

"There is no way for the court to right this wrong."

The stunning blow to the prosecution team, which had been working on the case for more than three years, arrived after the state had called only seven witnesses.

Baldwin's lawyer argued gun safety was not Baldwin's responsibility in his opening statements at trial.

"The actor’s job is to act," he told the jury. "He’s Harland Rust. He’s an outlaw running for his life, who in the incident in question, he’s pulling a six-shooter to try to defend himself. That’s why the gun has to be safe before it gets into the actor’s hands."

"His mind is somewhere else: in the being of another, a century away, an outlaw."

Posts: 24203 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Maybe I’m saying this because I’m a gun guy, and I have had a negligent discharge where fortunately, no one was hurt; I would always be checking the firearm. I would be looking at every round and making sure they are blanks, ESPECIALLY if I’m pointing it at another human.
I’m happy Tarantino says it’s 10% Baldwin’s fault, but seriously, I feel it’s at least 50%.
If it were me, I would feel that it may be 100% my fault AS I DIDN’T CHECK THE GUN.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4314 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Tarantino is an asshole coming to the rescue of Baldwin

there is only one person that killed Hutchins and that is the person that pulled the trigger

period, end of story

if it weren't for Baldwin, Hutchins would still be alive

he was 'in another place being an actor' is the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life

Posts: 53770 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Link

Quentin Tarantino claims Alec Baldwin was responsible to 'some degree' for gun in fatal 'Rust' shooting

Baldwin's lawyer argued gun safety was not Baldwin's responsibility in his opening statements at trial.

"The actor’s job is to act," he told the jury. "He’s Harland Rust. He’s an outlaw running for his life, who in the incident in question, he’s pulling a six-shooter to try to defend himself. That’s why the gun has to be safe before it gets into the actor’s hands."

"His mind is somewhere else: in the being of another, a century away, an outlaw."

Bullpuckey!!!! Tarantino shame on you!

The TRUTH is Baldwin was the PRODUCER of Rust and is ultimately responsible for everything. His DUTY was to ensure safety, among other things.

To take just a few seconds to ensure the gun had blank rounds and not actual real ammo was a fatal mistake that baldwin needs to admit to and take responsibility for. Too dang arrogant!

So disingenuous, so Hollywood-ish typical behavior to always blame someone else and never take responsibility and ownership.

SHAME on you tarantino!!

Posts: 11973 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only thing missing is his own "If I did it", then he'd be this decade's OJ

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The way I read this, it's not necessarily over. Can any lawyer folk comment?

A prosecutor asks for charges to be reinstated against Alec Baldwin in the 'Rust' case

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16871 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post