SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    World Cup 2022
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

World Cup 2022 Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Well, I must admit, that was exciting

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Even a person like me who isn't into soccer had to enjoy that second half and ending. What a game.

Jim

Congrats O-O Smile

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
A great day for Argentina.
Congrats 0-0.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Wow. That was an exciting game. I wasn’t expecting France to come back from a two goal deficit to make it so interesting. Congrats Argentina on a hard fought win. What a game!!

Compare Ronaldo’s reaction after Portugal lost to Kylian Mbappé after having just lost the championship game. The true measure of an individual is not how they act in a time of triumph, but rather how they act in a time of tragedy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21109 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12111 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Wow. That was an exciting game. I wasn’t expecting France to come back from a two goal deficit to make it so interesting. Congrats Argentina on a hard fought win. What a game!!

Compare Ronaldo’s reaction after Portugal lost to Kylian Mbappé after having just lost the championship game. The true measure of an individual is not how they act in a time of triumph, but rather how they act in a time of tragedy.

To be fair to Ronaldo it was his last chance to earn a World Cup championship even if he didn’t help his cause. Mbappe has plenty more chances to earn a championship.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Amazing World Cup final. Very exciting and Mpbappe looking like a fucking assassin. He's going to have quite the career.

Happy to see Messi get this win as a cap for his career.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9693 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
People are celebrating everywhere! One of the speedways ends at the large avenue where our landmark Obelisc is and people gather to cekebrate. The cars are left there, bumper to bumper and people walk the last blocks to the heart of the party, some 7 blocks away. Wondering how and when they will recover their cars and be able to turn around to leave, most avenues are in a similar situation.

Kudos to France. They kept our team in severe trouble till the last second.
Great match.
Very deserving 1st Losers Wink

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12111 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I must admit to not being all that interested in soccer...basically because I never have understood all the rules.
Same goes for Cricket, Rugby, and Australian Rules football. Smile

That said I did tune in and was greatly entertained by this match. First one I've watched in years.

Glad for you Nicky!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That was a hell of a match.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
That was quite an exiting final. I think that did a lot for the sport.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I will say that a “penalty shootout” strikes me as an insane way to decide a World Cup.

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I will say that a “penalty shootout” strikes me as an insane way to decide a World Cup.

Yes I’d much prefer a golden goal finish.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:
quote:

Yes I’d much prefer a golden goal finish.

No idea what that means

Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
The Golden goal was whoever scored first in OT was the winner. Basically sudden death.

Now they play 30 minutes of OT regardless of goals scored.

Congratulations to Argentina.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3485 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
Awesome final match!

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I don’t like deciding a game with penalty kicks. But if it must be done I prefer the old school start from half field MLS format for penalty kick shootouts. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21109 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not only that, but the tension is incredible. I would have much preferred the game to end when it was 2-0. But, Mbappe was not going to go down without a fight. As much as I like Messi, I thought Mbappe was the star of that game.

My son is married to an Argentinian girl, originally from Tucuman province, who moved to the US with her family.

After the game, I tried calling my daughter-in-law, but my son told me she was outside with my grandkids running up and down the street waving her Argentina flag. Big Grin

I texted her parents to offer my congratulations. Her mom told me that her dad was so stressed that they seriously thought he might be having a heart attack!

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6405 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't love the shootout to decide, but a 30 minute extra time period will often amount to sudden death, just because that is the nature of the game. It is likely that only one goal will be scored in that time.

But, I guess you need some time limit for the extra time. Thirty minutes is reasonable.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
0-0 Congratulations. Your countrry needed that! BTW I saw a program on Smithsonian TV called Aerial Argentina. Beautiful and enlightening. Went all over Argentina. I did not know that Argentina had Saguaro cactus and they were bigger than ours in the Sonoran Desert. I saw sand surfing for the first time as well. They do not teach us much about other parts of the world in our schools. Really beautiful country you have!

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post