SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    World Cup 2022
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

World Cup 2022 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ibanda:
Halftime, we are getting out butts kicked. I only watch soccer during the world cup. I know soccer is not the US's sport but it's frustrating to watch. We have a population of 330 million, every kid plays soccer for a few years and it looks like we don't even belong on the field with the Dutch that have 17 million people.

Historically, soccer has not been a lucrative sport to play in the US. As such, the best athletes had a selection of 4-5 better options for professional sports.

And don't even think its the 6th best athlete that plays soccer, because 2-3 are selecting each of the other major professional leagues.

This is changing a bit, with more US soccer players working abroad, and MLS even paying some substantial salaries. But it remains an interesting study.

Posts: 73 | Registered: February 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Come on Australia!! Please beat the everlasting fuck out of Argentina. Everyone is assuming Argentina will skate past Australia. Cmon lads prove em wrong!!!

Time to put on my Australia national team jersey that I got when I was in Sydney. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Well, as I said before I didn’t expect the USMNT to advance to the knockout stages.

For a young team it was a fair result.

Today’s game showed that they are not ready to beat the best teams. Not a surprise.

All in all it was a good run for this young team.

Remember that the old guard didn’t even qualify for the last World Cup.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3484 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ibanda:
Halftime, we are getting out butts kicked. I only watch soccer during the world cup. I know soccer is not the US's sport but it's frustrating to watch. We have a population of 330 million, every kid plays soccer for a few years and it looks like we don't even belong on the field with the Dutch that have 17 million people.

A country with as big a population as the US, it is confounding that we're not able to get past the 2nd round or, put together a strong team. Like every other country, playing at the WC-level, these players love the game so much, they're willing to sacrifice everything; that attitude or, ethos, you don't find in kids that are more affluent or, have other choices. The Wynalda/Harkes conflict highlighting the lack of win at all costs attitude that US teams lack. It's getting better but, its small generational gains. Consider Germany, a great history, win the whole thing and the next two tournaments get booted in the 1-rd, the humiliation has got to be stifling.

For most of these countries, soccer is the ONLY professional sport that's viable as a career. Euro basketball pro leagues have grown but, its limited and let's face it, those players were deemed too tall to play soccer, and volleyball & swimming aren't lucrative enough for career opportunities. If you're an athlete in any other parts of the world, soccer is the only sport to consider. Everyone else who wants to pursue their sports, usually come to the US; look at the Olympics, nearly half the competitors in the Summer games, are either students in US or, do a majority of their training/competing in the US.

I worked with a gal from Bavaria, she was a huge soccer junky, she and her b/f would spend entire weekends watching Bundislega matches. I asked her, if soccer is the most popular sport in Germany, what's #2....Soccer; what about #3....Soccer; what about #4....either Handball or, Cycling.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prj:
Historically, soccer has not been a lucrative sport to play in the US. As such, the best athletes had a selection of 4-5 better options for professional sports.

And don't even think its the 6th best athlete that plays soccer, because 2-3 are selecting each of the other major professional leagues.

This is changing a bit, with more US soccer players working abroad, and MLS even paying some substantial salaries. But it remains an interesting study.

I keep hearing this argument, but how many athletes have we seen who could play more than one sport professionally? Call me crazy, but I think soccer has to recruit its best from not just kids with specific backgrounds but kids with specific strengths.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
A country with as big a population as the US, it is confounding that we're not able to get past the 2nd round or, put together a strong team.

It isn’t about how many people live in a country, it’s about how many people there play at a high level.

The USA has 5 times the population of the UK.

The USA soccer league system has 95 teams this year, its most ever. The UK league system has literally THOUSANDS of teams.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
A positive from today's loss is that means there is less money the simps will have to split with the dikes.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Okay FOX, you can turn off the nauseating hype machine.

Nice interview with Matt Turner. He didn't bullshit or try to spin things. Spoke the truth.

He's my USMNT player of the tournament. I'm glad he played well in all four games he played. He'll have a lot more confidence if he has to play for Arsenal if Ramsdale is hurt.

Second match:

Matt Ryan, OUCH!

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
I keep hearing this argument, but how many athletes have we seen who could play more than one sport professionally? Call me crazy, but I think soccer has to recruit its best from not just kids with specific backgrounds but kids with specific strengths.

An athlete is an athlete. Modern professionals athletes have specialized in their specific and chosen sport since children, and many could achieve like elite-status in one or more other sporting endeavors. Of course, a 7' NBA center is unlikely to excel at soccer, or football. But who can't imagine just about any 6'-6" NBA small forward/wing player being one of the best goal keepers imaginable with a lifetime of training? Or a 6'-0" PG, one of the quickest positions in sport, as an elite striker?

Posts: 73 | Registered: February 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Kylian Mbappé Is really something to watch. Talk about your worst nightmare as a defensive player. He has surgical accuracy and incredible speed. As a whole, France looks legit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Come on Australia!! Please beat the everlasting fuck out of Argentina. Everyone is assuming Argentina will skate past Australia. Cmon lads prove em wrong!!!

Time to put on my Australia national team jersey that I got when I was in Sydney. Big Grin

Big Grin

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12111 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I was waiting for that post. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am with blackmore. Could not give a sh-- less for soccer. Glad it is over for the US.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’m proud of the US team. They performed well on the world stage and I’m sad to see them eliminated.

No, they didn’t win it all but they showed maturity and most importantly improvement over the previous USA team. It is a team with a lot of potential going forward and that makes me smile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
This round is separating the wheat from the chaff.

All the #1 seeds have won so far.

It’s showing the difference in quality of play.

Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3484 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
Brazil showed who was BOSS today. 4-1 easy victory over S. Korea.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1892 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I am with blackmore. Could not give a sh-- less for soccer. Glad it is over for the US.

Actually I'm a junkie for the European Big 5 leagues + love watching the World Cup, Euros, Copa America...

What I couldn't stand was the jingoism from FOX. Reaching the knockout round was an overachievement and Mr. 3G Gregg was outcoached by the Netherlands' LvG - a real manager. Yeah, there are some talented kids on the USMNT, but not having to qualify (as hosts) for 2026 is going to stunt their improvement. There's a reason only 8 countries have ever won a World Cup and those are countries with a futbol culture that goes back decades and more.

Brazil's first half demolition of S. Korea which gave them the chance to rest key players is why I think they're on their way to a sixth cup.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
This round is separating the wheat from the chaff.

All the #1 seeds have won so far.

It’s showing the difference in quality of play.

Absolutely. I'm upset with Japan and their poor showing in PKs, I was hoping they'd advance. Croatian Goalie was an animal.

I think France vs England is going to be the big match for me, England's D is a little bit stronger with Maguire and that may be the difference for ENG.

I also agree that Mbappe is by far the best player. He's the best striker and the best ball striker IMHO, and he's still a baby.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9693 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Morocco beat Spain in PK’s

Upset in my book.

Morocco was a #1 seed of their group.

Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat