SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cyberattack Forces Shutdown Of Largest Gasoline Pipeline In United States/ Update: Colonial paid hackers 5 million dollars.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cyberattack Forces Shutdown Of Largest Gasoline Pipeline In United States/ Update: Colonial paid hackers 5 million dollars. Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I better take my red 5 gal cans to the gas
station tonight, before the panic hits, cuz, pipelines and hurricane season June 1.

And toilet paper. Beer.

And more Goya Vienna Sausages.

I topped off the car and truck and mowers, mule, tractor and all yard implements - weedeater, chainsaw, blower, etc. yesterday. After refilling everything, lugged the empty cans to the gas station for 25 gallons of ethanol free gas and 20 gallons of diesel. Wallet is still hurting!

As far as who did it - they are reporting a criminal group called Dark Side.

I don't believe a word of it - may be true, may not be true but I don't believe it coming from the government and especially the FBI. If and when the forensic evidence is revealed I'll take a look at it and decide, but if the .gov and FBI say it's raining I've got $50 that says it's probably sunny and clear. They have no credibility and they've done it to themselves.

ETA:

https://twitter.com/noahsmom7/.../1390348647351660546

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Gas stations here in North Georgia are starting to run out of gas.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Wouldn't surprise me if it turned out to be woke Millennials at the NSA or CIA that shut it down.

quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I'd bet money on the Chinese

You could both be right.

Posts: 8625 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Gas Run Has Begun" - Fuel Stations Run Dry Amid Hacked Pipeline

https://www.zerohedge.com/comm...amid-hacked-pipeline

Gas shortages are being reported in the Southeast of the US amid the recent cybersecurity attack that temporarily shut down one of the largest pipelines in the US.

Colonial Pipeline Co. Chief Executive Officer Joseph Blount said the company was in the process of restoring its systems but wouldn't resume fuel shipments until the ransomware had been removed, according to Bloomberg.

At the moment, Colonial Pipeline is manually operating a segment of pipeline between North Carolina to Maryland and expects a complete system restore by the weekend. However, gas shortages are already being reported across North Carolina to Florida to Alabama.

On Monday, North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper signed an Executive Order declaring a state of emergency, temporarily suspending motor vehicle fuel regulations to ensure adequate fuel supply supplies throughout the state.

WLOS' Caitlyn Penter reported gas shortages in North Carolina.

AAA forecasts gas prices are soaring because of the shutdown of the Colonial Pipeline, which delivers about 45% of all fuel to the East Coast.

"This shutdown will have implications on both gasoline supply and prices, but the impact will vary regionally. Areas including Mississippi, Tennessee, and the east coast from Georgia into Delaware are most likely to experience limited fuel availability and price increases, as early as this week," said Jeanette McGee, AAA spokesperson. "These states may see prices increase three to seven cents this week."

This is beginning to look like the 1970s gas shortage. If the panic just started hours ago - just wait until tomorrow. People will freak.

More at link.

Posts: 12695 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the end, they'll pay. They all do. 10 years back a buddy was working with US military Cyber security. They were spending over $7 Billion (with a B) on it then. Likely more now. That was just the US Army, not the NSA FBI etc etc etc etc and everybody else. The amount of $ratch we are wasting to get no results is stunning to me.

Last year, a local county had this done to them. It didn't make the news, but I found out when I tried to by the parking pass for the boat ramp. At that time the FBI and everybody's dog was involved, and in the end, they paid and they never caught the perps.

Posts: 1925 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, the 'Gas Run Has Begun'. . .

I stopped by our local Costco this morning at around 10 or so to fill up for a trip we too this afternoon and the lines were as long as they were in preparation for one of the larger snow storms (~18" or so) we had this past winter.

A car parked next to me was filling up three five-gallon gas cans and another about 1/2 that size.

It's FUBAR and embarrassing that obiden would simply brush this off as 'not their problem'.

FOAD joe!!

Posts: 3481 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
But hey, Joe has a 63% approval rating. I saw it reported this evening on CBS news out of Philadelphia.

Roll Eyes

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
Damn. I'm supposed to be driving from Richmond to Savannah tomorrow for a funeral. I wonder if the stations along I-95 will have fuel.

Posts: 696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I wonder how long till gas is back up to $4/gallon? Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Salty Dawg:
Damn. I'm supposed to be driving from Richmond to Savannah tomorrow for a funeral. I wonder if the stations along I-95 will have fuel.

The truck stops do.

All my smaller stations were dry this morning.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34124 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Greta Approves.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:

I saw somewhere it's already $4.39 for regular if you can even find it now down south.

Gasoline is the new toilet paper.

Roll Eyes

Posts: 33819 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lines starting to form at gas stations in the Charlotte NC area this morning, and a few stations without gas.

Prices inching up, but not too bad yet. Governor did declare a state of emergency yesterday, so that might freeze prices - I'm not sure.

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

I saw somewhere it's already $4.39 for regular if you can even find it now down south.
I'm in the Orlando metro area.

$2.80 to $2.85 most places, $2.57 at Costco.

I have not seen any "dry" stations. Yet.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30687 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
That happened numerous times while I lived in the South. (Not specifically the ransomware but something to disrupt fuel for 2-4 weeks or so)

Sucks

Our vehicles are all topped off here and hopefully things will be back up and running by the weekend.

Personally I almost think this stuff should not be reported on AT ALL until after the fact. The vast majority of issue is the extra folks getting fuel that is not needed. (I am just as guilty).

As a side note Greta Thunburg might in real life be a cute kid but Jesus she’s gonna have a hard time dating with all the pictures of her in full on rage mode....imagine forgetting to take the trash out in that relationship....sheesh. Smile
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Can someone tell why, in this day and age, we have critical infrastructure that is not on a physically isolated network?

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
Can someone tell why, in this day and age, we have critical infrastructure that is not on a physically isolated network?

Because the lazy IT workers are too busy playing Dungeons and Dragqueens than doing their job.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34124 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
Fiance and her mother are suppose to be driving to FL next week.

Will there be fuel on the 95 corridor going from PA to FL?

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:

Gasoline is the new toilet paper.

Roll Eyes

Central Alabama

$2.51 @ Sam's & Costco
$2.69 @ most gas stations.
No dry pumps.

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Stations located in my small town of ~4k people(SE Alabama) are doing different things:
In town a mile or 2 from the 4 lane US highway - Purchase limit $25, no lines
On the 4 lane US highway - No purchase limit, no lines
All are about the same price range of ~$2.70

I do remember back in the oBummer years when gas was +$3.50/gal that most of the stations in the greater area of ~80k people (20 mile radius) had purchase limits of $75.

Colonial needs to get their shit together.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6215 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post