SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cyberattack Forces Shutdown Of Largest Gasoline Pipeline In United States/ Update: Colonial paid hackers 5 million dollars.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cyberattack Forces Shutdown Of Largest Gasoline Pipeline In United States/ Update: Colonial paid hackers 5 million dollars. Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thank you for clarifying. The media should have to print retractions for fear mongering.

If the "news" media were obliged to correct or retract all the lies and misinformation they promulgated it would be something like...

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Ransomware shuts down pipeline on the east coast.
Gretchen Whitmer says hold my beer.

Gretchen Whitmer has a pipeline problem…

There are concerns about the supply of oil to Canada after Michigan’s governor ordered the shut down of a critical pipeline by next week. Gretchen Whitmer is ordering the shutdown of Enbridge’s cross-border Line 5 pipeline, which transports crude and natural gas liquids from Alberta through Michigan and the Straits of Mackinac to central Canada.

“You just can’t take 540,000 barrels per day out of the market and not have bad things happen, ultimately, to consumers and petrochemical plants and refineries. It’s just a very bad outcome,” said Al Monaco, the CEO of Enbridge Inc. said on a conference call Friday.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Funny, my first thought was how there always seems to be a reason to drastically raise fuel prices right before summer for the last decade or so.

I remember Obummer reportedly wanted to use available means to push gas prices north of 5 or 6 dollars a gallon with the intention of going even higher in the future. Applying taxes per gallon etc. All toward the end of pushing electric cars into common use. Most vehicle manufacturers have said 'all electric' product lines are either desired or just plain promised by a certain year during this decade.

Bama posted abeve that 'woke' dipshits within our own NSA, CIA, etc. may have carried this out. This is most plausible to me but I suspect higher ranking dipshits with higher level agendas in mind.

Many of ya'll suspect rogue or terrorist nations out there, but I feel we have plenty of rogues and terrorists right here in our own damn government to go around.

Posts: 7259 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
It's not a "cyberattack". Low-level email phishing compromised an account

Right, which is even worse to me. Sounds like we are wide open.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
They won’t because their agenda is to create fear

We don’t have journalists in this country. We have agitators.

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Businesses, agencies, facilities, with critical networks should have whitelists for strict control of what emails can even be opened.

Posts: 7259 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whitmers efforts to shutdown Line 5 resulted in Enbridge planning to build a tunnel under the Strait to protect it. The cost is huge. Enbridge would pay for it, no taxpayer $$$.
And of course Whitmer is fighting that too. Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
They won’t because their agenda is to create fear

We don’t have journalists in this country. We have agitators.

Brian Krebs formerly of The Washington Post struck out on his own to actually be a proper journalist focused on driving transparency and transformation in Cyber. He hasn't posted his take on this pipeline fracas but did just report about ten days back about a new joint task force specifically on ransomware. CISA issued formal guidance on the topic recently as well but .gov is slower than industry here (as usual).

https://krebsonsecurity.com/20...ransomware-payments/

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
Ransomware shuts down pipeline on the east coast.
Gretchen Whitmer says hold my beer.

Gretchen Whitmer has a pipeline problem…

There are concerns about the supply of oil to Canada after Michigan’s governor ordered the shut down of a critical pipeline by next week. Gretchen Whitmer is ordering the shutdown of Enbridge’s cross-border Line 5 pipeline, which transports crude and natural gas liquids from Alberta through Michigan and the Straits of Mackinac to central Canada.

I'm certainly no fan of Whitmer. The sooner she's gone, the better, IMO. But even a stopped clock can be right once or twice a day. This, IMO, is one such case.

That particular pipeline is not in good repair, despite Enbridge's claims to the contrary. If it breaches, the damage to the Great Lakes could make what happened in the Gulf of Mexico and the Exxon Valdez' spill look like a walk in the park, by comparison.

Enbridge has known of the concerns about that pipeline for many, many years. Their reaction has been to obfuscate and obstruct, rather than actually addressing the concerns.

Not too surprising, given Enbridge's history.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info ensigmatic.

The damage these people seem to want to inflict on our country, leads me to always assume they are continuing course.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by mjlennon:
Specifically it’s a ransomware attack. Typically these infiltrate the network via email.

Yup.

Which is why I spent so much time and effort, when I was in I.T., to educate my internal customers.

I’ve got a lot of respect for the attention to detail in your actions. I wish more IT were as diligent. Fortunately the city I work for does a very good job, but nobody can be perfect all the time. Our county got nailed a couple of years ago. Big damn mess.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the info ensigmatic.

You're welcome.

quote:
The damage these people seem to want to inflict on our country, leads me to always assume they are continuing course.

That is usually the correct assumption. The problem is they cry "Wolf!" so often that, when they actually do have a valid concern, they're disregarded.

Apparently were never taught as children the morals of stories such as The Boy Who Cried Wolf and Chicken Little.

This very same dispute contains a perfect example. Enbridge proposes to bore a tunnel through the bedrock under the Straights of Mackinac. Between Pipeline 5 being contained within that tunnel's bedrock, the design of the pipeline, and the automatic shutoffs that should detect unwarranted pressure drops: The Great Lakes then should be relatively protected from an environmental disaster should the pipeline breach.

But still the environmentalist whackos are opposed. This is why nobody but other environmentalist whackos pay them any heed.

quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I’ve got a lot of respect for the attention to detail in your actions. I wish more IT were as diligent.

Thanks for the kind words Smile

posted Hide Post
US Declares State Of Emergency To Keep Gasoline Flowing After Colonial Fails To Restart Hacked Pipeline

https://www.zerohedge.com/comm...ked-pipeline-restart

The US government declared a state of emergency late on Sunday, lifting limits on the transport of fuels by road in a bid to keep gas supply lines open as fears of shortages spiked after the continued shutdown of the Colonial Pipeline.

“This Declaration addresses the emergency conditions creating a need for immediate transportation of gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, and other refined petroleum products and provides necessary relief,” the Department of Transportation said. White House Press Sec Jen Psaki added that "as the Administration works to mitigate potential disruptions to supply as a result of the Colonial Pipeline incident, @USDOT is taking action today to allow flexibility for truckers in 17 states."

The move lifted limits on the transport of fuels by road to ease the fallout from the continuing closure of the Colonial pipeline, which carries almost half the fuel consumed on the US East Coast, following a ransomware cyber attack on Friday.

The decision comes as the government scrambles to deal with the fallout from the closure of Colonial, the biggest refined products pipeline in the US, transporting 2.5m barrels of fuel a day from refineries on the Gulf Coast to markets such as Atlanta, Washington and New York (see more below).

If the pipeline is not quickly reopened the impact on prices could become more severe in the coming days, said Patrick De Haan, head of petroleum analysis at data provider GasBuddy. “We’re realizing the gravity of it is maybe worse than what we’d expected,” said De Haan. “There’s still a little breathing room, we’re starting to run low on it. But Monday, Tuesday if there’s no news, you know we’re dealing with something fairly significant.”

Posts: 12685 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
US Declares State Of Emergency To Keep Gasoline Flowing After Colonial Fails To Restart Hacked Pipeline
IMO, not enough. The feds really need to delay summer RVP requirements (aka reformulated gas) in PADD 1, 2, & 3 to get any gasoline into PADD 1 and not punish the other regions in the midst of turning tanks from winter blend to summer blend.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
Many of ya'll suspect rogue or terrorist nations out there, but I feel we have plenty of rogues and terrorists right here in our own damn government to go around.

You got that right.
Bama hit the nail on the head. The CIA does the dirty work for the Shadow government that's really running the country.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
https://www.fidelity.com/news/...ED_KBN2CR1DW-OUSBS_1

U.S. pipeline hackers say their aim is cash, not chaos

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The ransomware group accused of crippling the leading U.S. fuel pipeline operator said on Monday that its goal was to make money and not sow mayhem, a statement that experts saw as a sign the cybercriminals' scheme had gone farther than they had intended.

cont...

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of the after effects that need to be considered as it pertains to moving fuel for national infrastructure and security. The vulnerabilities are disturbing.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Maybe time for that fuckwit Biden and his handlers to let the XL get back on track? Of course, this is exactly what they want to see- especially for so many red states.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I better take my red 5 gal cans to the gas
station tonight, before the panic hits, cuz, pipelines and hurricane season June 1.

And toilet paper. Beer.

And more Goya Vienna Sausages.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
https://www.fidelity.com/news/...ED_KBN2CR1DW-OUSBS_1

U.S. pipeline hackers say their aim is cash, not chaos

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The ransomware group accused of crippling the leading U.S. fuel pipeline operator said on Monday that its goal was to make money and not sow mayhem, a statement that experts saw as a sign the cybercriminals' scheme had gone farther than they had intended.

cont...

Meaning its an oh shit moment.... as in

"Oh shit!, we went to far and now they will focus federal government attention, using national security as the reason to find us, That means different rules, laws and tactics because of the scope and target. Stealing millions from old ladies savings accounts and leaving them destitute was the goal, but this..."

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post