SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    CPAP Users: Possible Safety Issue With Philips DreamStation Machines
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CPAP Users: Possible Safety Issue With Philips DreamStation Machines Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Well this isn’t good. Frown

Philips has found that the sound abatement foam inside their DreamStation CPAP machines may be breaking down and getting sucked into the turbine and possibly right into your lungs.

I’ve been using one supplied via insurance for a couple months now but was considering buying my own ResMed machine and I think this just helped me make up my mind:

Warning For Philips DreamStation Users

It’s this machine:

Posts: 33567 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well. That seems counter-productive.

Posts: 17041 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is Philips doing about the problem?

Posts: 1617 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
What is Philips doing about the problem?

Unsure at this time. There are probably millions of these units out in use right now, so this is a potential huge issue for them. Apparently they disclosed this last week during their earnings report, and announced they were setting aside something like $300 million to deal with it, I guess there will be a recall at some point.

Posts: 33567 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Update:

So delving into this a little more, it sounds like Philips has determined that it's these ozone CPAP cleaners primarily that is causing the foam to break down. These machines, like the SoClean are not approved by the FDA and can actually put a dangerous level of ozone into the air where it's used.

I'm so glad I didn't get snookered into buying one of those things. Roll Eyes

So now Philips has to spend money to fix an issue that wasn't even their fault.

I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
One problem with ozone cleaners is folks that don't purge their system before putting it on and using it. They end up sucking a few hose-fulls of ozone directly down into their lungs.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
This is an industry publication.
Dated 3/2021

http://www.hmenews.com/article...ain-cleaning-devices

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8315 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Update:

So delving into this a little more, it sounds like Philips has determined that it's these ozone CPAP cleaners primarily that is causing the foam to break down. These machines, like the SoClean are not approved by the FDA and can actually put a dangerous level of ozone into the air where it's used.

I'm so glad I didn't get snookered into buying one of those things. Roll Eyes

So now Philips has to spend money to fix an issue that wasn't even their fault.

Thanks for the update. I was to cheap to spend 300+ bucks for one of those So-Clean machines preferring to clean my CPAP manually with just baby shampoo and warm water.

Posts: 1617 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Scary! I’ve always used ResMed. I only use distilled water in the heater.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll tell you what, when the power goes out, my Resmed sucks!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1117 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
My ResMed Airsense 10 Auto works great without power and connected to the Jackery. Smile

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Wow…Philips didn’t just recall their DreamStation CPAP machines today, they recalled basically EVERY MODEL they made in the last 10 years! Eek

I saw this coming and ditched my Philips for a ResMed last month:

Philips recalls sleep apnea machines, ventilators over cancer risk

posted Hide Post
Word is Phillips will launch a consumer recall site Thursday. We’ll be able to input serial
numbers and start the recall process.

I found out yesterday and will continue using g my machine as it’s not used in a hit and humid environment and I don’t use an ozone cleaner.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
What’s interesting is when I heard about this in late April, it sounded like Philips had decided to set aside the Euro equivalent of $300 million to resolve this issue but the latest article I read stated $660 million Eek

That ain’t chump change!

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I'm really glad I have a ResMed Air Sense 10.

Posts: 11810 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
ResMed pissed me off refusing to do anything with a defective RedMed Airsense 10 out of warranty whose humidifier heating plate scorched and bubbled the finish on the shelf it sat on. Bought a travel cover plate to replace the water reservoir and used it without any humidifier function for the last 2 years.

Despite this when evaluating my need for a new machine last month since my 5.5 year old unit was alarming that the motor hours (22k) had exceeded the machine's usedul life, I ended up opting again for another ResMed Airsense 10. I was also aware that a new model aka Resmed 11 is due for release in August.

I have one of those cheap pacific rim "bag" style ozone cleaners but rarely use it. And when I do it's just for the mask and hose and not the machine. Much prefer the manufacturer's recommended weekly cleaning ritual (currently a Dawn and hot water soak. Previously a vinegar and warm water one).

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info! I use a DreamStation One and only became aware of the issue after seeing your post here. I've contacted my CPAP supply provider and MD (neither of whom were aware of the issue until my call), and it looks like Philips won't start receiving consumer info from patients until later this month (approximately June 23rd according to their website). In the meantime, I did keep my older Philips CPAP and I have another brand of travel type CPAP as alternatives.

Again: Thanks so much for bringing this issue to the attention of other SigForum members!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Insane Eek

Prices on CPAP.com where people can buy machines etc outside of insurance:

ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet, a very popular top of the line CPAP machine (like the Glock 19 of CPAP machines)

Monday: $589 (what I paid last month)
Tuesday: $625
Today: $883

Damn

posted Hide Post
Recall site is live:

https://www.philipssrcupdate.expertinquiry.com/

It asks for machine SN to verify if machine is part of recall.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Berto. Thanks for the link. My CPAP is part of the recall.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23084 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post