SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    CPAP Users: Possible Safety Issue With Philips DreamStation Machines
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CPAP Users: Possible Safety Issue With Philips DreamStation Machines Login/Join 
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I got mine back last week. was probably 3 weeks ago that I registered. You swap the machines and used a prepaid postage sticker. pretty pain free

Posts: 7795 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
2 interesting articles came out this A.M.

https://www.hmenews.com/articl...-incremental-revenue

https://www.hmenews.com/articl...getting-back-in-play

Interesting. I started off with Philips but switched to ResMed and think they are superior in every way, their machines are better, their masks are better.

I'm not sure Philips will ever really recover from this.

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
2 interesting articles came out this A.M.

https://www.hmenews.com/articl...-incremental-revenue

https://www.hmenews.com/articl...getting-back-in-play

Interesting. I started off with Philips but switched to ResMed and think they are superior in every way, their machines are better, their masks are better.

I'm not sure Philips will ever really recover from this.

PASig
They will recover.ResMed/Respironics are like Ford and Chevy. You like A as it's better for you. Others like B because it's better for them. Many, many people criss-cross units/ masks masks, which is the more important component.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
I filed the morning of the day it first came out. Other than general update emails I've received nothing from Phillips.

Here is the email I found in my inbox today...

We’re writing to you with two important updates about your recalled Philips device.* As always, thank you for your continued patience as we work hard to ensure as many patients as possible can continue safely with their therapy. Our first update is to inform you of the initial test results around the possible emission from the sound abatement foam. Our second update is to let you know how we are planning to prioritize remediation around the needs of patients.

Test results of volatile organic compounds (VOCs)
The testing program, which we have carried out together with independent clinical experts and certified laboratories, indicates that exposure to the level of VOCs identified to date for the first-generation DreamStation devices is not typically anticipated to result in long-term health consequences. If you do not use a first-generation DreamStation device, please be assured that we will update you as soon as we receive more results from the ongoing program.**  These findings support a better understanding of the long-term impact on health but do not change the current course of our recall.  Our most recently updated guidance for all patients can be viewed here; we are continuing the recall efforts as planned.

Order processing
To make sure patients with the greatest needs receive a replacement device as timely as possible, we will be prioritizing remediation efforts around certain patients as requested by the Food & Drug Administration.  For US patients whose remediation is directly managed by Philips, data collected throughout the patient registration process will be used to help to prioritize remediation of those patients at higher risk. In addition to this prioritization, the shipment of replacement devices happens as inventory is available, and Philips collects the information needed to transfer existing therapy settings to the replacement unit. 
In the coming weeks, you will receive an email that outlines the option to provide additional prioritization information. The types of information you may provide include: your age; whether you have any other health conditions including obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) and its severity; whether you are pregnant or have an occupation associated with public safety; your history of car accidents related to falling asleep while driving; and whether you have used ozone for device cleaning purposes. 

We understand the period of uncertainty this creates and thank you for your patience. We will continue to provide regular updates to you through this process.

In the meantime, as a reminder, your device registration confirmation number is 2021XXXXXXXXX. 

Thank you for your continued trust.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This recall/scandal has cost Philips WAY more than they ever imagined and is still dragging on and has now cost the CEO his head:

Philips parts ways with CEO in midst of massive recall

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frankly it should have. The recall effort is a joke. I don't honestly believe the foam breakdown is that big of a deal. However, if you're going to recall the devices and have people sign up for replacements it shouldn't take two years to get it done. Maybe the guy just has a bunch of RMD stock he needed to drive up.

Posts: 170 | Location: Kearney, MO | Registered: October 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by topherh:

However, if you're going to recall the devices and have people sign up for replacements it shouldn't take two years to get it done.

I think they got screwed by the pandemic supply chain mess, this recall hit RIGHT as that was starting to get bad last year this time. I also think they underestimated the impact and size of this recall, I'm still getting panicked letters from a former DME about a Philips CPAP machine I haven't had in over a year. When this hit, I saw this all happening and quickly got rid of my Philips Dreamstation, gave it back to them and purchased my own ResMed machine new for $550. Within 4 months, those same machines were listing for $1,200 from the site I purchased it from.

posted Hide Post
I'm still waiting too. My dreamstation go is a travel unit I purchased separately.
0 communication other than 'we're working on it'.

What a joke.
worst part is I wear out mask frames faster than the 3 mos I'm allowed - I was purchasing on amazon for $20-30, now it's $75.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Wife just got her replacement on Monday.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 813 | Location: Tuscaloosa, AL | Registered: May 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
I have an affected unit and registered way back in the replacement program and have received many email updates stating have patience. I stated I have never used an ozone cleaner and wonder if that is why I'm still without a replacement.

Posts: 493 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RGRacing:
I have an affected unit and registered way back in the replacement program and have received many email updates stating have patience. I stated I have never used an ozone cleaner and wonder if that is why I'm still without a replacement.

They tried to blame ozone initially, but it was proven that the foam they used broke down w/o ozone.
I was patient at first, but I have now had a machine sitting in a box under recall for longer than I have been able to use it. I'm not accepting a refurb, it will be new or money refunded. We'll see how that goes.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep getting emails but have never gotten a replacement!

Posts: 449 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Looks like I will be 'trying out' a CPAP in the next week or so... sucking in some foam is the least of my worries at my point in life after sweeping chimneys for 40 years.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post