SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    CPAP Users: Possible Safety Issue With Philips DreamStation Machines
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CPAP Users: Possible Safety Issue With Philips DreamStation Machines Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
For all us ResMed CPAP users, they've released a statement and their stock is soaring (as well as their machine's prices!)

quote:

On Monday, June 14, 2021, a separate manufacturer issued a U.S. recall and rest-of-world field safety notice for certain CPAP and ventilator devices. ResMed devices are not subject to this recall and are safe for patients to use. ResMed devices use a different material for sound reduction than the material used by the other manufacturer.

Patient safety is ResMed’s most important goal.

Statement and FAQ's here:

Link

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Is there an expected life use for a CPAP, after so many years, even replacing the consumables properly, that you should request your doc issue a script for upgrade?

Posts: 23240 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Is there an expected life use for a CPAP, after so many years, even replacing the consumables properly, that you should request your doc issue a script for upgrade?

I read from several sources that it's 5 years or 20,000 hours

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
I have a brand new Phillips unit. Do I need to be worried about the foam breaking down already or is safe to use until I get a new one?

Posts: 1512 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
I have a brand new Phillips unit. Do I need to be worried about the foam breaking down already or is safe to use until I get a new one?

Put your serial # in the tool and find out. I believe any machines made from April on are OK.

Philips Recall

Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:

Put your serial # in the tool and find out. I believe any machines made from April on are OK.

Philips Recall

Mine is affected by the recall but it's only been used for 2 months and has not been cleaned by an Ozone machine. I was trying to determine if the foam would have had time to start breaking down yet.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Please allow me to give you what I know. We have not heard a single word about this from our rep nor the company. We have reached out to them to know A) What units are affected? B) Did the user have to use an O3 cleaning device? C) What are the patients supposed to do without their units?
D) Will they pay for loaner/rental units in the interim?
E) what specifically is the risk to the user?

So in short, several members have written me, and the answers are, we don't have any answers. I learned more about this from SF than from the manufacture or industry trade journals/daily email updates.

I will however add to this thread as any information becomes available.

My suggestion is to continue using your units until better clarification becomes available.

Remember this is NOT an FDA-mandated recall.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m still using my machine. Everything I’ve read says use of an ozone cleaner is the culprit with help from the machine being in a hot and humid environment. There’s an in-line filter that can be attached between hose and mask.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Insane Eek

Prices on CPAP.com where people can buy machines etc outside of insurance:

ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet, a very popular top of the line CPAP machine (like the Glock 19 of CPAP machines)

Monday: $589 (what I paid last month)
Tuesday: $625
Today: $883

Damn

Just checked again tonight and the price on the ResMed AirSense 10 is now $999 there at that site.

That is starting to piss me off now the way they’ve almost doubled their price in 5 days. Roll Eyes

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
I’m still using my machine. Everything I’ve read says use of an ozone cleaner is the culprit with help from the machine being in a hot and humid environment. There’s an in-line filter that can be attached between hose and mask.
I ordered a 10-pack of those inline bacteria filters.

Also, followed the recall's directions and contacted my doctor. Haven't heard back yet, but it hasn't been 24 hours.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Insane Eek

Prices on CPAP.com where people can buy machines etc outside of insurance:

ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet, a very popular top of the line CPAP machine (like the Glock 19 of CPAP machines)

Monday: $589 (what I paid last month)
Tuesday: $625
Today: $883

Damn

Just checked again tonight and the price on the ResMed AirSense 10 is now $999 there at that site.

That is starting to piss me off now the way they’ve almost doubled their price in 5 days. Roll Eyes

It wasn't all that long ago that these were the prices from all the manufactures.
It's the Medicare/Insurance reimbursements that forced the lower selling prices. There were a whole bunch of thieves selling nothing but CPAP and quite frankly, the honest full-service. providers are glad to see these businesses gone.

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I just received an email from an industry publication that advises all DME dealers are to receive a letter on June 23rd.
That letter contains information as to what will be the procedure for serving the patient's equipment.
If you have another unit, use your back-up unit.
You may also want to contact your provider for in-line filters. Hint: buy 2 of them to alternate daily.

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
TT can you ditch the heated hose?

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I still haven't heard back from the e-mail I sent to my doctor yesterday. However, my 10-pack of in-line bacteria filters arrived.
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
TT can you ditch the heated hose?
Yes, I figured it out and must have deleted the post at the same time you were replying. I split the CPAP from the humidifier (never use the humidifier in Houston anyway since it's so humid) since the regular CPAP has the standard hose connection, plugged in the bacteria filter to the CPAP, and am using an old unheated hose. This will get my by for a while unless I have to travel to somewhere that isn't humid (nothing planned).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Update:
CPAP/BiPap

Philips recall: Sleep stakeholders run scenarios

Specialty Providers
Theresa Flaherty, Managing Editor
Updated 10:45 AM CDT, Fri June 25, 2021
YARMOUTH, Maine – As sleep stakeholders band together to address the Philips recall, they're grappling not only with equipment shortages, but also risk assessment and who should be at the front of the line for repairs and replacements.
In announcing the recall, Philips advised Bi-Level and CPAP patients to discontinue using affected devices and work with their physicians or HME providers to determine the most appropriate options for continued treatment. 
“It should not be first come, first served,” said Dr. Shannon Sullivan, chair of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine’s Public Safety Committee. “We all know in our heads (what patients) we’d like to see first in line. How do we communicate that and (do this in a way) that is clinically forward?”
Sullivan moderated a live panel discussion on June 18 with representatives from the American Academy of Neurology (AAN), American College of Chest Physicians (CHEST) and American Thoracic Society to discuss the impact of the recall on patient care and sleep center operations.
Sleep therapy isn’t a one-size fits all approach, panelists said, and with solutions for the affected devices months down the road, stakeholders need to consider many factors, including the patient’s comfort level with the possible risk of continuing CPAP therapy, whether the patient has co-morbidities, whether the patient needs CPAP as a requirement of their job and the age of the patient’s device.
“There are certain questions we are all going to be asking and not start with discontinue use (if you don’t fit into certain categories),” said Dr. Peter Gay, representing CHEST. “It really isn’t a good idea to tell a bus driver to stop using CPAP.”
One thing is certain: DMEs are caught in the middle, says Dr. Brittany Meyer, MD, AASM representative.
“The problem is, a lot of physicians don’t (prescribe) the type of device – that falls on the DME,” she said. “Then, Philips said to contact the DME but the DME doesn’t feel comfortable making these decisions and are referring them back to the sleep labs or physicians, so I don’t think there’s an easy answer. It comes down to the DMEs and the sleep physicians to work more closely to prioritize which patients do we repair and replace first.”

Liz Beaulieu, Editor
Updated 10:49 AM CDT, Fri June 25, 2021
YARMOUTH, Maine – Manufacturers like ResMed and 3B Medical are ramping up production to meet increased demand due to a voluntary recall of millions of Philips CPAP devices, but their efforts are complicated by supply chain and other challenges.
“Yes, we’re ramping up production as quickly as possible, while working closely with our global supplier network to navigate the well-known global supply chain challenges impacting this and other industries,” said Jayme Rubenstein, a ResMed spokesperson.
Following the announcement of the recall on June 14, ResMed told customers to place all orders for CPAP and APAP devices for the month by June 18. The company expects to start taking new orders on, or soon after, July 1.
Due to supply chain challenges, ResMed says it is prioritizing orders with “highest-acuity needs,” Rubenstein says.
“Our top priority is patients’ safety and wellbeing,” he said.
3B Medical says it is working with its factory to guarantee a higher number of CPAP devices – “a large multiplier over what we’re currently getting from them,” says Katherine Royster, vice president of sales and marketing.
“We are surging manufacturing and relying on air freight for the next two months to raise stocking levels to meet demand,” she said.
Following the announcement of the recall, 3B also paused sales and implemented a “priority allocation” program, whereby the company is negotiating strategic agreements with customers to “protect the availability of CPAP devices” based on their historical purchasing levels, Royster says.
“We’re really looking at identifying strategic partners who are looking at a relationship with us for the long-term,” she said. “The day the recall happened, we got thousands of orders from brokers and third parties. We put everything on hold so we could investigate every account. We didn’t want anyone buying everything and flipping it at a profit.”
Fisher & Paykel Healthcare says it has seen an increase in demand for its CPAP devices, but due to supply chain challenges, “we are currently unable to increase production rates significantly,” says Subbarao Potharaju, director of marketing for homecare.
“We appreciate this is a difficult situation for our customers and will update our field sales teams if the position improves,” he said.
In many ways, the timing of the Philips recall couldn’t be worse. Combine supply chain challenges with the pent-up demand for CPAP therapy from the COVID-19 pandemic, and all manufacturers are strained.
“It’s a perfect storm,” Royster said. “At the end of the day, it’s all about taking care of the patients and the industry as a whole, as we navigate through this.”

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I know there is a total run on ResMed CPAP machines by both DME’s (medical equipment suppliers) and people who purchase them out of pocket.

I think this going to be a fiasco that makes Philips Resperonics the next Takata who went bankrupt trying to keep up with a recall of airbags if you recall.

I went ahead and bought a used ResMed 2 weeks ago as a backup machine, it arrived practically brand new with 223 run hours on it and I’m glad I grabbed that when I did because I’m hearing of back orders and shortages now.

Anyone who uses a Philips may want to do the same as it could be a very long time until Philips repairs or replaces your machine.

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I would look on Craigslist or letgo.com etc. I think the demand vs supply will be massive.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
My local supplier called me Friday and told me that part of my regular monthly order, as well as my regular 6 month supply order, is on backorder. They will ship what they can and send me the rest when it comes into them.

Definitely seeing shortages.

I'm glad I bought a backup unit the first of the year. Relief!

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
My 5½ year old ResMed Airsense 10 hit 22k hours with the warning that the motor's useful life had been exceeded. It is available as an emergency back up now as I got a new one delivered 24 May 2021 with Medicare / Tricare For Life covering 100% of the cost. Looks like I got in just under the wire. Big Grin

A shoutout to Tommy aka downtownv for his CPAP counsel, advise, and wisdom a few months back.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
My 5½ year old ResMed Airsense 10 hit 22k hours with the warning that the motor's useful life had been exceeded. It is available as an emergency back up now as I got a new one delivered 24 May 2021 with Medicare / Tricare For Life covering 100% of the cost. Looks like I got in just under the wire. Big Grin

A shoutout to Tommy aka downtownv for his CPAP counsel, advise, and wisdom a few months back.

My Pleasure speaking with you and thanks for your many years of service!

To Quote Ronald Reagan

The president’s concern over communism in the Western Hemisphere was demonstrated dramatically in late October 1983. He ordered a surprise invasion of Grenada, a tiny Caribbean island nation that he said was being readied as a Soviet-Cuban base.

“We got there just in time,” Mr. Reagan said after U.S. forces quickly routed Grenada’s Marxist regime.