SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Suggestions for eating fish for one who “doesn’t like seafood”
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for eating fish for one who “doesn’t like seafood” Login/Join 
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
The OP sounds like a man after my own heart. With that in mind, the only red colored fish (salmon etc.) I can stand is in the Chicken of the sea pouches, and I like the lemon pepper best.

As for the white meat fish mentioned already, I can go along with all of it so far. The catfish from the lakes around here are very good. Bit of an exception there sense the meat is red, but cooks up white. Always just made a simple corn meal batter and fried them in oil.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Not "fish" per se, but seafood.

Super easy recipe and super tasty. The only thing I change about the recipe is using bucatini pasta rather than regular spaghetti as it soaks up the sauce better.

Chef John's Creamy Bay Scallop Spaghetti

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I love salmon. But more than a little makes me go. Nutritionist said take fishoil tabs. One tab and wham....gotta go. Now.

Also never caught on to liking crab or clam. And I hate picking fish bones.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I second the motion for blackened salmon. Even my daughter likes it, and that's really saying something.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Grouper and Red Snapper are excellent choices...

Coworker had Red Snapper today, smelled amazing.

More expensive, but Halibut & Sea Bass are both great.
My wife does not like fish, almost 100%. But, she's liked a taste of when I've ordered Halibut & Chilean Sea Bass.

I've never tried cooking them myself, so not sure the difficulty there.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:

I personally stay away from Tilapia. Most of what you'll find is farm raised, and farmed fish are usually higher in pollutants.

I have read this as well. Mahi Mahi is ok, marinate in olive oil and a packet of seasoning and grill.
I like some shrimp and fried clams.

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
Flounder is about as mild as any fish gets,

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean, the fishy taste is a turn off. Mostly that is because the fish is not that fresh. Salmon does keep well, so like the other say, try salmon.

Best thing would be go to the coast, as in Monterey, and buy some fresh off the boat if possible.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I lived in Alaska for 5 years and had a freezer full of salmon and halibut.

Like AKSuperDually I’m going to recommend halibut. It’s amazing! Firm white fish that is rich tasting and not fishy. It’s pricier than cod but IMO the richer taste is worth it.

I have reservations in recommending salmon as specie of salmon matters. Here is my breakdown of the species:
  • Coho / silver salmon - freezes well and not fishy.
  • sockeye / red salmon - freezes well and slightly fishier than coho.
  • chinook / king salmon - the pink/red meat ones freezes well and slightly fishier than sockeye. There is a white meat variety (expensive) which freezes well and richer than coho but not fishy.
  • humpback / pink salmon - it doesn’t freeze well (mush when thawed) so is canned. DIY canning by locals is delicious but canned at the supermarket is very fishy tasting. Frankly, most Alaskans throw it back or feed to their dogs.
  • Atlantic salmon - reservations on this one. Farm raised is pumped full of antibiotics and other not so goodies (eg make meat pinker). Line caught is delicious and healthy.

There hasn’t been much talk on shrimp. Both specie and location matters on this as well. Cold water shrimp such as Prince William Sound is slightly sweet and not fishy at all. Much different taste than a warm water shrimp.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Savor the limelight
    posted Hide Post
    Tuna steaks. Completely unlike any of the fish listed so far.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Invest Early, Invest Often
    Picture of TomV
    posted Hide Post
    Get a piece of Fish that looks like a Steak....Ahi Tuna, Mahi Mahi, Swordfish.

And if it is the taste that turns you off, do like my wife does, smother it with a sauce.

Posts: 1341 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Step by step walk the thousand mile road
    Picture of Sig2340
    posted Hide Post
    It may sound like a big jump but try properly made sashimi and sushi. Properly made it has no fishy smell or taste.

Find someone to take you who is knowledgeable. Start with California Rolls.
    Stop before you try fugu.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
    Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Team Apathy
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by trapper189:
    Tuna steaks. Completely unlike any of the fish listed so far.

How so? I had a package of frozen ahi tuna steaks from Trader Joe’s in hand, but I passed for now because I hadn’t heard much about them in this thread.

I picked up a frozen 5 ounce Atlantic salmon packaged with lemon herb butter. Will try that chest. It is skin on, so I should cut that off?

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bolt Thrower
    Picture of Voshterkoff
    posted Hide Post
    Rockfish is a good white flesh that is good pan or deep fried.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Not really from Vienna
    Picture of arfmel
    posted Hide Post
    You’ve probably bought farmed salmon. An inferior product compared to wild, caught salmon, as stated earlier.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Cynic
    Picture of charlie12
    posted Hide Post
    I love seafood but I don't like fish.

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of dsiets
    posted Hide Post
    Be aware that salmon is done around 126*. I usually pull mine when it reaches 130* in the thickest part.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    quarter MOA visionary
    Picture of smschulz
    posted Hide Post
    From a health viewpoint fish is extremely healthy as it is rich in Omega 3.
    WILD CAUGHT aka not farm raised Salmon is the best in that category.

From a taste viewpoint it can vary widely.
    Tilapia is an extremely bland tasteless fish that I would never eat unless I had to.
    For fish-stick lovers ~ Fried Catfish and Cod would be a great choice.

Steak-type fish I love are Tuna (both seared and raw are amazing) and Swordfish steaks grilled.

Shell fish ~ a whole other category which Lobster - my favorite but Crab and Shrimp - all spectacular.
    Shrimp is by far the most popular.

As a treat I always get Chilean Sea Bass at the fine dining restaurants - awesome.

We have Catfish, Shrimp and another fish of varying variety every week!

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Team Apathy
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by arfmel:
    You’ve probably bought farmed salmon. An inferior product compared to wild, caught salmon, as stated earlier.

Probably, as the package doesn’t indicate wild caught. I’ll take note of this one and try another one based on the list posted on page 1. It is currently cooking on my cast iron.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Team Apathy
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by dsiets:
    Be aware that salmon is done around 126*. I usually pull mine when it reaches 130* in the thickest part.

Thanks, I read this just in time. The package said 145 so that was what I was shooting for, but I saw your post and ran to look at the temp and it was 127, so I was just about there.

The little fishy is currently resting.

It’s not super fishy on the smell in the house now. Noticeable but not offensive. Nobody has come to the kitchen to complain.