SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Suggestions for eating fish for one who “doesn’t like seafood”
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for eating fish for one who “doesn’t like seafood” Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
I’d like to start eating a little fish but I’ve always been one of those that “doesn’t like seafood”. In reality, I haven’t tried that much. It stems from eating fresh caught trout as a kid… the bones weirded me out.

I DO like canned tuna. And I DO like “fish sticks” (Trader Joes Fish Nuggets are amazing).

Today is my shopping day and I’m down to try something new. What is a nice, mild starting place, and how should I cook it?

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Salmon on the grill.

Posts: 17170 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Tilapia is a good white fish, Cod is also a good choice, not as "fishy" tasting. Sea Bass is excellent, although a bit pricey compared to the others listed.

Find a good market to buy the fish, and learning to properly cook it is important.

Salmon is excellent, Costco sells a three filet pre seasoned pan, just pop in the oven or on the grill the butter on top melts while it cooks. Very good stuff...

Posts: 23224 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Blackened Salmon is amazing and really doesn't taste fishy at all.
Black Cod, also called butterfish, is also one of my favorites.

I personally stay away from Tilapia. Most of what you'll find is farm raised, and farmed fish are usually higher in pollutants.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16486 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Tilapia is a good white fish, Cod is also a good choice, not as "fishy" tasting. Sea Bass is excellent, although a bit pricey compared to the others listed.

Find a good market to buy the fish, and learning to properly cook it is important.

Salmon is excellent, Costco sells a three filet pre seasoned pan, just pop in the oven or on the grill the butter on top melts while it cooks. Very good stuff...

Tilapia fish tacos with a good dressing and slaw is not so fishy tasting.

Posts: 3579 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Grilled salmon & tilapia.

If you don't mind fried, catfish can be non-fishy as well.

Posts: 3696 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have been serving this to my special guests for years, and we have converted some folks who don't like fish to loving the salmon. It is my most requested recipe. FY I use orange marmalade in place of orange zest.
https://biggreenegg.com/recipes/cedar-planked-salmon/

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I eat a lot of grilled Salmon. I usually get filets with the skin on and coat it with a little olive oil and sprinkle Cajun seasoning on it. Major yum!

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I'd eat fish if it didn't taste like fish or have that weird texture.

I will eat Shrimp, Lobster Crab and clams though

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Grilled Tuna and other salt water white fish are bone free and as long as they are fresh don't have a fishy taste or smell.

Posts: 9450 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
Pollock is another very mild white fish.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
People who "who don't like fish" because "it's fishy" often have been ruined early in their lives by BAD FISH, fish that is either old or spoiled and they think all fish is like that.

OP, try:

Baked Cod with a herbed breadcrumb topping and a mustard cream sauce

Or

Grilled Teriyaki marinated Salmon

Getting FRESH good fish is key. That's why you have to be able to see and smell it first.

Posts: 33584 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Any of my suggestions would cost you an arm and a leg since they would be Gulf seafood. But, in order, my choices are;
Scamp, Triple tail, Grouper and Red Snapper. Cooked on the grill and then have some lemon butter to sprinkle on it.
If you get over this way these are what you should try, in my opinion.

Posts: 1198 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Try this. I fix the first recipe all the time (without the taters). It's quick, easy, and very yummy. Don't overcook it!

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15470 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Grouper and Red Snapper are excellent choices...

Posts: 23224 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get fresh or quality frozen. I like to make salmon on the grill—your choice of a glaze like brown sugar bourbon or something bottled from the supermarket will significantly influence your appreciation. Halibut, Chilean Sea Bass, maybe grouper are good. Do you know anyone who can show you cooking technique? You bring the fish and they cook it. Don’t overlook cold water lobster and king crab. You might do well to try a lunch at a good seafood restaurant.

Posts: 103 | Location: Idaho | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I think Trader Joe’s has frozen, vac packed filets of both cod and salmon. Would that be a decent way to start, or should the frozen stuff be avoided?

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I'm fond of fish and chips, beer battered or panko but I prefer panko.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
2 tips
first off try MahiMahi, it has a very firm texture, so its similar to chicken and that makes the new fish eater transition a little easier.

Pro restaurant tip here. This comes from a guy I knew RIP who has owned about 5 high end restaurants. Vodka wash all shrip and cuts of fish before prep and cooking.

Take a shallow paper bowl or similar, pour a little vodka in it, not good stuff but not shitty, like absolute or sky, not popov nor kettle one, rinse the fish in it, then wash with water. Something about the vodka chemically neutralizes the slime that fish gets on it as it sits. Even fresh fish will kind of seep and oil sheen, this wipes that out and doesn't change the taste of the fish. I find this super helpful for shrimp cocktail especially.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5128 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Fishy tasting fish is somewhat neutralized by a milk marinade. Submerge in milk in the fridge for 24 hours.

If you don't like fishy fish...make sure to remove the skin first.

Generally the larger the fish, the easier it is to remove the bones.

Halibut and Cod are both a white fish with a very neutral flavor to begin with. Remove skin, milk marinade, and then cook however you like...they'll both, like chicken, take on the flavors of what you cook them in.

Another trick to making nasty fish taste good is to make a cheese & mayonnaise mixture, put it on in the last 3-5 minutes of cooking under a broiler.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post