SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2019 Baseball Playoffs...
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2019 Baseball Playoffs... Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I saw the play and IMHO, I think the home-plate umpire made the right call. Turner was OUTSIDE THE BASELINE (toward the infield side of first) the entire run down to first base and NEVER strayed from that position to get "inside" the baseline (the outlined box/running lane...thanks PowerSurge).

Knucklehead Buck kept saying "Turner stepped in the middle of the bag". Yeah, ya moron!! If you look at the "middle of the bag", it is plainly OUTSIDE the baseline/running lane toward the infield where Turner was running. And as a result, he knocked Gurriel's glove out of his hand, thus initiating contact to warrant an interference call...

And to paraphrase Sgt. Barnes..."Hey Martinez. Take a break. You don't have to be a prick EVERY day of your life, ya know."

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
The fact of the matter is Turner was NOT in the running lane. He should’ve been called out and was. It’s in the rule book.

The running box is there for a reason.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3971 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
PS, you have made it clear you are not unbiased as a die hard stro's fan. So we have that.

Those in the know seem to agree by the letter of the rule it probably was a violation.
But not by the spirit of the rule. He never attempted to affect the play. He ran as many would and have through out the year. It was a bad throw by the pitcher. I think the runner was by the throw. It as behind and outside the runner.

As yourself this PS. If it would of been your team that it happened to would you be saying what you are saying in this thread. I can assure all reading this thread you would be of a completely different mind set without a doubt Razz .

On another topic I like the combo of Buck and Smoltz. I especially like Smoltz and his unique insight as a former pitcher. He is great.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
PS, you have made it clear you are not unbiased as a die hard stro's fan. So we have that.

Those in the know seem to agree by the letter of the rule it probably was a violation.
But not by the spirit of the rule. He never attempted to affect the play. He ran as many would and have through out the year. It was a bad throw by the pitcher. I think the runner was by the throw. It as behind and outside the runner.

As yourself this PS. If it would of been your team that it happened to would you be saying what you are saying in this thread. I can assure all reading this thread you would be of a completely different mind set without a doubt Razz .

Without a doubt, one of the dumbest posts I’ve read on the internet. You actually agree it was against the rules, yet I’m biased. Lol

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3971 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am glad you read (or maybe not) my post before you posted yet again.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
I know that wasn't meant for me. I'm as die-hard a Bruins fan as they come. I am waaaaaay more passionate about that game than what's happening tonight. With that said, if the referees make a call against Boston and it's the correct call, I accept it and hope the team can move past it and kill the penalty. So yes...I believe in my objective mind (and having been an ice hockey referee myself), I could have accepted the call had it been made against the Astros, WITHIN THE CONFINES OF THE RULE BOOK, and moved on.

Hey man...the ump, referee, official, or whoever is going to piss off SOMEONE every time the whistle blows or a call is made. It's just the thing we accept when we choose to take on the responsibility of picking up the whistle. Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Bud Light Releases Commercial Of Man Hit By Ball Who Didn’t Drop His Beer
Bud Light released an awesome commercial Tuesday night during game six of the World Series between the Astros and Nationals.

The beer company released a short video of Jeff Adams being hit by a ball during game five of the World Series and not dropping his beer.

Bud Light captioned the video, “Pain is temporary, glory is forever.” Give it a watch below.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1189361379872071682

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24137 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

Funny. One comment described him as "Mr. October." Big Grin

A Light moment from Bud.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Hilarious...
quote:
He is a real man of genius. Today we salute you, Mr. Home Run to the Chest Bud Light Guy.
I wonder if Anheuser-Busch has to pay Adams some kind of royalty??

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Hilarious...
quote:
He is a real man of genius. Today we salute you, Mr. Home Run to the Chest Bud Light Guy.
I wonder if Anheuser-Busch has to pay Adams some kind of royalty??

Or did they just give him an up-front sum & buy the rights to his likeness?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15345 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tubetone:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

Funny. One comment described him as "Mr. October." Big Grin

A Light moment from Bud.
Maybe they should call him "Mr. Octoberfest"

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2090 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
1, 2, 3. Way to go Greinke!

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15345 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
As a long suffering Mariners fan I cannot root for the Astro's. They beat us something like 18 out of 19 times this year Wink

Love Hinch, Love Springer. Their core is amazing so I am expecting them to bounce back tonite. Rooting for the old guys though Smile

On the play and Martinez. I liked that he went after it hard. Sure he was hot and caught fire. Love the passion. Everything is on the line at that point.
I love the old days of Weaver, Lasorda, Billy, Lou P and all the rest who came out and give it up because they cared. Now you can hardly come out and are automatically tossed if you do. Even if you chirp like a little bird from the dugout you will get tossed. It Ridiculous.

The umps have no skin. They are thin skinned because a fair amount of the calls are second guessed and can be proved wrong. Whether they are balls and strikes or in game plays. They have a tough job no doubt. I can live with missed calls. But the game is about the players, not the umps.
Some of them don't get that now days. I think some of the younger umps are a better fit than these more experienced umps are.

^^^^^^^
Agreeing with your way of thinking, Tiger fan, Sparky Anderson got riled up too.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Still cheering for the Nats!
They knocked out my Cardinals and some of the fans were rude and disrespectful, but still, Go Nats!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24137 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greinke cruising, low pitch count thru 4, looking good.

Posts: 3597 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Scherzer gots the yips.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5966 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Holy crap... Nats up 3 -2 now! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16231 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Exciting game, but the dugout cam...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5911 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
Exciting game, but the dugout cam...
Now 4-2 Nats and I'm still not sure that's enough to fend off the Astros. I'm thinking this game is going to go down to the last pitch.

Now Osuna gets the hook...

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Bottom of the 8th.

Astros need to play small ball and focus on getting on base.

Oh and I really do not like it blue sets up behind the catcher vice centerline behind the plate. Skews his perspective.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post