SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2019 Baseball Playoffs...
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2019 Baseball Playoffs... Login/Join 
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Now Martinez is pitched from the game between innings. This is getting absurd.

He earned it

Yes. The guy’s a douche.

Actually, he isn't. The guy is pretty level headed. They weren't reviewing the call, they were reviewing whether he could protest it or not. It was ridiculous, and he decided to die on that hill. This wasn't arguing over a side view of the strike zone. He was pretty classy with his comments after game 5 (the ump was very inconsistent).

But man that was epic.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
No matter what the outcome of tonight's game, both teams have acquitted themselves well, and have shown they deserve to be in the World Series. Congratulations to both the Astros and the Nats!

Strasburg was legendary. And IIRC, he is the first player to win his first 6 post season starts. He is 6-0 or something.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
quote:
Now Martinez is pitched from the game between innings. This is getting absurd.

He earned it

Yes. The guy’s a douche.

Actually, he isn't. The guy is pretty level headed. They weren't reviewing the call, they were reviewing whether he could protest it or not. It was ridiculous, and he decided to die on that hill. This wasn't arguing over a side view of the strike zone. He was pretty classy with his comments after game 5 (the ump was very inconsistent).

But man that was epic.

His other comments weren’t “classy”.

He’s a douche

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Regardless who wins, that Martinez guy will forever be known as a douche nozzle and the proof is recorded for eternity.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
Has there been a WS where the home teams lost every game?

No, last night was the first time ever that the road team has won the first 6 games.

Prior to that, only in 1906 & 1996 had the road team won the first 5.

And interestingly enough, there have only been two World Series in which the home team WON every game (Twins over Braves in 1991 and Marlins over Yankees in 2001).

Posts: 4501 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Not to drift too far, but there were two teams in the Stanley Cup playoffs last year, I can't recall who at the moment, that couldn't win their playoff games on home ice.

For some reason, I guess the home teams have a case of the yips this year. Verlander's poor performance on the mound in the WS games isn't helping the Astros' effort at all. I remember his striking out 12, 13, or 14 batters during the regular season. WTH??

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
Strasburg was legendary. And IIRC, he is the first player to win his first 6 post season starts. He is 6-0 or something.

Strasburg is 5-0 in postseason starts. Verlander is 0-6 in World Series starts.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Verlander is 0-6 in World Series starts.
Yeah, that dude just has the stink on him.

They were going through his resume as a pitcher and he has it all except wins in the WS.

Some you can explain by him only giving up 2 runs and the offense sucking in those games, but man he just looks off on the mound.

He did pretty good for the first 4 innings but then it just broke open. Not that his offense helped him any, leaving an ass load of players on base after the 1st.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tubetone:
As far as any sports championship goes, it's been a back and forth worthy of a final match-up.
Yeah, both teams deserve to be here.

In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
My family is doing thanksgiving this Saturday since it’s the only day we could all the extended family together

Many of them are the rich liberal loudoun county residents like the ones booing and chanting the other night. They were actually at the game...so they may have actually been some of th4 people booing

I can’t decide which will be more miserable

Listening to them chirp and chirp if the Nats win

Or

Listening to them bitch and moan if they lose

I’ve already told my wife to be ready to flee once dinner is over

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Probably the most boring announcers in all of sports. The guys is just awful.

Thanks for mentioning this. I was tempted to vent on this earlier. I don't watch much tv, but subscribed to SlingTV for the baseball playoffs and the start of hockey.

What ever happened to broadcasters simply calling the game? Between the player backgrounds, discussion of injuries, and bloviating about the designated favorites (particularly the way they slobber over Juan Soto), it must annoy them when they have to pause to describe what's happening on the field.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6405 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
No matter what the outcome of tonight's game, both teams have acquitted themselves well, and have shown they deserve to be in the World Series. Congratulations to both the Astros and the Nats!
One thing to remember about this series is that from the beginning of the season, the Nationals were never expected to do much of anything, so them being here is pretty cool. The Astros were predicted from the beginning of the season to return to the world series, so they've lived up to expectations, also pretty cool.

Should be a good game tonight. Its anyone's series to win at this point.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Regardless who wins, that Martinez guy will forever be known as a douche nozzle and the proof is recorded for eternity.
You apparently haven't seen much baseball over your lifetime. Martinex behavior last night was mild in comparison to some of his peers over the years. And we're talking about a play that could have changed the outcome of game six of a world series, effectively ending the series for the Nat's, not some opening day goof by an ump. I'm more than willing to cut Martinez some slack on that call.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since we are bitching about the announcers. When did exit velocity become a stat? Who gives a shit how fast the ball went as long as it went over the fence? I think the “distance” is nonsense too but exit velocity is retarded.

Oh yea one more stat. Telling us that Soto, I think, is the only player in WS history to hit 2 home rings in the same series at two different ages. What? So he had a birthday is what you are saying. Random and ridiculous. And beyond trivial.

Horrible umping as well.

Posts: 7500 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons I enjoy the AM radio broadcast, our Houston commentators are quite good to listen to, IMO.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Since we are bitching about the announcers. When did exit velocity become a stat? Who gives a shit how fast the ball went as long as it went over the fence? I think the “distance” is nonsense too but exit velocity is retarded.

Oh yea one more stat. Telling us that Soto, I think, is the only player in WS history to hit 2 home rings in the same series at two different ages. What? So he had a birthday is what you are saying. Random and ridiculous. And beyond trivial.

Horrible umping as well.

Everyone is in a kerfuffle about analytics. Since the movie "moneyball" came out people think and are obsessed with it. Some parks are even putting exit velocity, angle, and distance analysis on a board in the stadium. Percentage of success of stolen bases. And oh how I hate the strike box. Either dump the plate ump, or dump the box. but don't have both.

the 'shift' used to bug me, I hope batters begin to just ding it to third base when they move third to cover short. I have watched a few do it with great success.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
You apparently haven't seen much baseball over your lifetime. Martinex behavior last night was mild in comparison to some of his peers over the years. And we're talking about a play that could have changed the outcome of game six of a world series, effectively ending the series for the Nat's, not some opening day goof by an ump. I'm more than willing to cut Martinez some slack on that call.

I agree let’s give Martinez some slack, the interference call basically bailed out a poor defensive play and throw.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Yeah, I gave it up almost entirely after the 95 strike.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
As a long suffering Mariners fan I cannot root for the Astro's. They beat us something like 18 out of 19 times this year Wink

Love Hinch, Love Springer. Their core is amazing so I am expecting them to bounce back tonite. Rooting for the old guys though Smile

On the play and Martinez. I liked that he went after it hard. Sure he was hot and caught fire. Love the passion. Everything is on the line at that point.
I love the old days of Weaver, Lasorda, Billy, Lou P and all the rest who came out and give it up because they cared. Now you can hardly come out and are automatically tossed if you do. Even if you chirp like a little bird from the dugout you will get tossed. It Ridiculous.

The umps have no skin. They are thin skinned because a fair amount of the calls are second guessed and can be proved wrong. Whether they are balls and strikes or in game plays. They have a tough job no doubt. I can live with missed calls. But the game is about the players, not the umps.
Some of them don't get that now days. I think some of the younger umps are a better fit than these more experienced umps are.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
With how toss happy the ump can be, I thought Turner was close to getting it too.

I'm still learning some of the rules/calls, so I was a bit lost on it until they explained it a bit more. Really started watching/listening with the Astros '17 run.

Dont know enough, personally, to make a call on it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post