SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    United flight passenger beating/American Airlines fight with pregnant passenger - Page 47: Delta has gone too far this time
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 47

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
United flight passenger beating/American Airlines fight with pregnant passenger - Page 47: Delta has gone too far this time Login/Join 
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
Did the flight attendants not see the PR nightmare unfolding before their eyes? Everyone Has a camera. What did they think would happen?

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
Not sure what is worse, flying United or going to NYC.
Whichever is of the greater duration.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107762 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
From the first video that came out: when the old guy was pulled from his seat he was thrown head first into the arm rest of the seat in the opposite aisle.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/11...as-shares-slide.html

Shares of United Continental fell by 2 percent Tuesday as outrage over Dr. David Dao of Kentucky being dragged off an overbooked flight finally caught up to the stock. The shares were among the worst performers in the S&P 500.

"This went to the next level when the CEO and the [United] executives began to respond," said Andy Swan of LikeFolio, which monitors social media for financial applications. "They threw gasoline on a fire."

Instead of viewing what transpired on a United plane Sunday evening as a "one-off" incident, now United's shareholders are questioning the competence of management in handling crisis scenarios, Swan said, hence why the stock is starting to drop.

"This is an enormous deal for shareholders," he said.

China is the second largest aviation market in the world and a key focus for United, which claims it "operates more nonstop US-China flights, and to more cities in China, than any other airline."

Representatives for United in China did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/11/...-off-china-reaction/

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
One of the most shocking aspects of this debacle was the CEO's response to it. Ole Oscar Munoz should have known in today's world with all the videos that surfaced, he should have handled this completely different than he did. He simply poured gasoline on a brush fire with his initial comments. When this all finally blows over, the board at United should give this guy his walking papers because he obviously has a major judgement problem. Maybe they should fire him and some of his right hand men in an effort at current damage control.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seotaji:
Reports out that the Dr who had been in legal trouble is NOT the Dr who was on the flight.

The KY newspaper who initially reported is seems to be doubling down.

Same first and last name, but different middle.

We'll see how that pans out and how many people his legal team ends up suing.

That was a pretty ballsy tactic on the part of United's legal team - trying to minimize any payout on a settlement.

Or as someone put it:

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I am not a litigious person, but I would sue the ever-loving shit out of UAL over this, and I don't give a damn what it says in the fine print. The case will never reach court anyway. United will pay in an out of court settlement, and they will pay dearly.
So in a final summary of UAL's handling of this...
  • They get to pay out millions in settlement to the victim.
  • They have their stock drop in value by over 3/4 of a billion dollars.
  • Their business plans to expand into China took a major hit.
  • Everyone on the planet now has a bad opinion of UAL.
Is there anything they could have done to make this any worse? I'm really thinking, no.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10963 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I am not a litigious person, but I would sue the ever-loving shit out of UAL over this, and I don't give a damn what it says in the fine print. The case will never reach court anyway. United will pay in an out of court settlement, and they will pay dearly.
So in a final summary of UAL's handling of this...
  • They get to pay out millions in settlement to the victim.
  • They have their stock drop in value by over 2/4 of a billion dollars.
  • Their business plan to expand in China took a major hit.
  • Everyone on the planet now has a bad opinion of UAL.
Is there anything they could have done to make this any worse? I'm really thinking, no.

One correction -

"They get to pay out millions in settlement to the VICTIMS."

Don't forget the guy's wife and the screaming lady in the video - passengers are going to come out of the woodwork for "mental anguish".

So they'll be paying several people, I have no doubt. Not as much as the primary victim, but you'll see some other settlements too, I think.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Mental anguish. Yeah. I got some o' that, too, from this shit.

Where's m'damn check?

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
United's new method for passenger exiting

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4787 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Report This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Very odd. When I try to embed the link below, it embeds the whole 5 minutes segment from a different URL... Anyway, this united commercial via Jimmy Kimmel is pretty funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y8HdeHtOJs

Don't know how to embed this one:

http://imgur.com/99dgkTs

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6853 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Report This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
Poor planning on their part (Airline), does not constitute and emergency on my part (being kicked off a flight that I paid for).

If they told me I need to leave the plane, they would be dragging me off as well. They would most likely have to rough me up as I am not going quietly.

They entered into a contract when they sold him the ticket, and now they are trying to re-neg. If they wanted room from the crew, perhaps they should not sell all of the seats.

This bullshit of overselling flights needs to stop. There's a simple solution to this problem.
Yes, a contract. A contract that says they can bump him if the flight is oversold. How much of the contract do you want to enforce?

That's a very good question. Emphasis on the 'force', see my post immediately above yours.

Not every contract is legally enforceable (heh) as written.

This is going to get messy in the courts, I predict. This is going to be worse than the Eric Garner shitshow, because at least in that case what happened was the result of enforcing a law as written, that he was violating.

This happened because the airline found it inconvenient to observe the terms of its own contract, because of poor internal procedures and problem solving.

In simpler terms. UAL sold the guy a ticket, presumably at the going market rate. UAL wanted to buy the ticket back but wouldn't pay the going market rate so they just took it by force. I'd penalize them very heavily for that. How much does UAL make in a day?

Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
In even more simpler terms. United has a contract that basically says, we hold all the cards.

You're late to check in...
You're late to the gate...
You didn't get a seat assignment...
The stewardess doesn't like your attitude...
The pilot doesn't like the cut of your jib...
We need your seat...

It's not much of a contract when only the carrier gets the advantage. It's more of a T&C, isn't it?

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6853 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nasig:
How much does UAL make in a day?
My bet. Somewhat less than it did last week. Wink

I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Forcing paying customers off literally by gunpoint so 4 United employees could take the ride?

State crime of trespassing

Federal crime of failing to comply with flight crew instructions

The contract you sign when you buy the ticket says they can pull you off a flight for any reason or no reason at all.

United handled it poorly, but were within their rights to remove the passenger and he was breaking the law by not leaving when asked.

quote:
They entered into a contract when they sold him the ticket, and now they are trying to re-neg

There WAS a contract. It said he had to leave the plane when asked.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:
quote:
Forcing paying customers off literally by gunpoint so 4 United employees could take the ride?

State crime of trespassing

Federal crime of failing to comply with flight crew instructions

The contract you sign when you buy the ticket says they can pull you off a flight for any reason or no reason at all.

United handled it poorly, but were within their rights to remove the passenger and he was breaking the law by not leaving when asked.

Yep, and the description posted was absolutely correct.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
In even more simpler terms. United has a contract that basically says, we hold all the cards.

You're late to check in...
You're late to the gate...
You didn't get a seat assignment...
The stewardess doesn't like your attitude...
The pilot doesn't like the cut of your jib...
We need your seat...

It's not much of a contract when only the carrier gets the advantage. It's more of a T&C, isn't it?
Congress really fucked travelers over when they failed to pass the passenger "bill of rights" about 15 years ago.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23336 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:
There WAS a contract. It said he had to leave the plane when asked.
Yeah, that "contract" is really helping out UAL right now, isn't it?

Do you know what will happen if a civil suit comes before a jury? United Airlines will have their ass handed to them.

Tell me again about the Goddamned fine print, all the while ignoring the reality of this PR nightmare for UAL?

Members ignoring the reality of this incident to yammer about contracts and airline procedures is what got this thread locked before. I may have to re-accommodate some members.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.aol.com/article/ne...passengers/22036858/

NEW YORK, April 12 (Reuters) - United Airlines will no longer use law enforcement officers to remove overbooked passengers from aircraft in the wake of a video that showed a Chicago passenger dragged from one of its flights on Sunday.

"We're not going to put a law enforcement official... to remove a booked, paid, seated passenger," United Continental Holdings Inc Chief Executive Officer Oscar Munoz told ABC News on Wednesday morning. "We can't do that."

Munoz said the problem resulted from a "system failure" that prevented employees from using "common sense" in the situation and that Dr. David Dao , whom security officers dragged by his hands, on his back, from the cabin before takeoff, was not at fault .

Shares of United Continental were up 1.1 percent in premarket trading. They had fallen as much as 4.4 percent on Tuesday.

The backlash from the incident resonated around the world, with social media users in the United States, China and Vietnam calling to boycott the No. 3 U.S. carrier by passenger traffic.

Munoz told ABC that he had no plans to resign over the incident and profusely apologized to Dao, his family, passengers and United customers.

"This can never, will never happen again," he said.

One of the officers involved was placed on leave Monday. The Chicago Department of Aviation said it did not condone the officer’s actions and that they were not in keeping with standard operating procedure.

"The aviation security officer in question is on paid administrative duty pending an investigation," a spokesman for the Chicago Department of Aviation said Tuesday.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/unite...ed/story?id=46746594

video of Munoz at above link

interviewer does a good job. asks the tough questions

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Munoz needs to be canned. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26522 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post