SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Eddie Van Halen died
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eddie Van Halen died Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I've often wondered if they had a George Martin or a Geoff Emerick to aid in there sucess

Yeah, the "what ifs" are numerous with this guy.

What many fans don't realize; sober or fucked up, the guy kept a pretty stacked regimen thru the decades of playing and recording. He would drive his golf cart from his house to his professional grade recording studio in the backyard to play and record. He apparently has a wall or two filled with tapes and recordings of his unreleased work. No doubt, some of this stuff will be released.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17195 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I have very few regrets in life.

I was in high school in the mid 80s. I prayed at the alter of the church of Hank Jr. Despite it not being “my” music, Van Halen was the soundtrack of my senior year. It took me years to appreciate the genius of Eddie Van Halen. I now wish that I could go back and watch them live in those days. Their music will live forever.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37195 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
EVH & DLR, circa 1978.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Binge watched Van Halen live concerts in the last few days, and lamented never seeing VH. Then I remembered seeing Alex and Eddie in Mammoth, before becoming Van Halen. Saw them at least two nights at a club in Tempe or Scottsdale in the summer of 1973 I think. Two of the guys there with me later figured out the connection to Van Halen. One saw Mammoth again soon after in San Diego, and noticed how much better they had gotten.

Posts: 7643 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Awesome music and awesome memories. His iconic music and guitar playing will be his lasting legacy. 80's music is the best IMHO, and Van Halen was some of the best of the best. Rest in peace and God bless EVH.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4416 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
I've often wondered if they had a George Martin or a Geoff Emerick to aid in there sucess

Yeah, the "what ifs" are numerous with this guy.

What many fans don't realize; sober or fucked up, the guy kept a pretty stacked regimen thru the decades of playing and recording. He would drive his golf cart from his house to his professional grade recording studio in the backyard to play and record. He apparently has a wall or two filled with tapes and recordings of his unreleased work. No doubt, some of this stuff will be released.

Check out the library here at 2:30. And this was 22 years ago. Imagine what's there now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?...7HM&feature=emb_logo

Posts: 3692 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
RIP guitar rocker king, you will be sorely missed. "1984" was iconic.

Posts: 2191 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
One of the greatest musicians of all time. I’m enjoying the tribute channel on XM radio of nothing but Van Halen tracks.

Michael

Posts: 1145 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
The famous EVH solo begins about at 3:13

Posts: 13598 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my top ten. RIP Eddie

Posts: 7687 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dad died when I was 21, he was 67. He was the polar opposite of a rock star.

I can't begin to imagine what it was like to be his son, either the high points or the extreme lows.

How is there even a "normal" on that gauge of life?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55210 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got to see them live a few years ago when Dave reunited and Wolfgang was playing. Been a fan since 1984 I was in 5th grade and my older bro got that tape and played it and I was into rock after that. Then I discovered the first 4 albums with Dave and those are great records.

Posts: 4978 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a fella in Phoenix that claims to have seen over 70 concerts .

He saw V.Halen four times and said they were constantly the tightest live band that he had seen .

Posts: 55210 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I saw VH about 20x, Rush about 100x. VH was always super tight. Sound was hit or miss depending on venue. First time I saw them on the 5150 tour it was mind numbingly loud. Dave's vocals were usually bad. But the music was always solid.

Posts: 3692 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
He saw V.Halen four times and said they were constantly the tightest live band that he had seen .

Do you know if that was with DLR or Sammy Hagar fronting?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16957 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Check out the library here at 2:30. And this was 22 years ago. Imagine what's there now.

Saw that clip.

Here is a screenshot 10 years later of his "tape vault". Blurry, but you can see the recordings stored, I'm assuming everything since recording 1984, including outtakes, rehearsals, solo work tapes, unfinished songs, etc.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17195 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
There was a fella in Phoenix that claims to have seen over 70 concerts .

is 70 too many?

I've not counted what I have seen, but am likely close to if not over that number,

but I never saw VH

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10592 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A fella sitting behind me in Riverside claimed he'd seen 130.

He is on his 4th wife at age 58.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
A fella sitting behind me in Riverside claimed he'd seen 130.

He is on his 4th wife at age 58.

it's easily possible,

I'm 57,
first show was as a kid, the Osmonds,

starting up seeing 'big shows' in College
(before was usually some local bluegrass band or brass band I was dragged to by the parents umpteen times)

started with The Police/GoGo's and increased from there

Costello (with various iterations) maybe 15x's

English Beat 7+

REM, Squeeze, Grisman, Morrissey, 6+ each,

and a shitton of once/twice or more shows,

I had a list somewhere, and misplaced it,

small local venues as well, with some local bands I saw when they were playing often dozens of times

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10592 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
What a dick, I've heard from numerous sources this guy is a real asshole:
Roll Eyes

David Crosby dug himself quite the hole with his dismissive Eddie Van Halen tweet

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post