SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Eddie Van Halen died
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eddie Van Halen died Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
The heavenly choirs are really going to start rockin' now.
RIP Eddie.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4945 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Goddammit! Another one I never got to see live.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17624 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock n' roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band.

The Righteous Brothers.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4279 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I got to see VH about 20x live. But I was a diehard fan long before my folks would let me go to concerts.

Posts: 3692 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7100 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
As everyone else mentioned, 1984 and 5150 were from my youth! Just the other night, I was coming home at 1AM from the airport. Nodding off here and there, so I turned the radio on and it was VH. The volume honestly went up and the air guitar came out. Was awake for the rest of the trip. R.I.P EVH!!

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2546 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I was never a Van Halen fan. I did see the 5150 tour but never really got the draw. Just this year I started listening to their first 6 albums and I sort of get it now. He was completely original and he absolutely loved his job. He smiled endlessly. He knew tone (unlike Randy Rhoads who may have been a better player but his tone was questionable at best -- could have been a production issue) and experimented tirelessly. I completely respect that.

I really wish he was known for something other than Eruption though. If I never hear that track again it'll be too soon. Play "Drop Dead Legs" instead, now that's a great track.

May he RIP.

Posts: 45565 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Uhhh... there's plenty he's known for besides Eruption.

Posts: 3371 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Play "Drop Dead Legs" instead
Cool

I dug a guitar out and played it last night. It's the only Van Halen song I've ever learned. Except for the solo, because I suck at playing guitar. Without Eruption though, I don't believe I'd have ever developed an interest trying to play guitar.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah it's a bummer, but sadly not unexpected. I had heard that the cancer treatment wasn't going great for him a few months ago. Thanks to one of those click bait "Famous People who died in 2020" stories, I spent much of my day off yesterday listening to VH on Spotify, not to mention a little Mac Davis and even Helen Reddy, both who passed on the same day last week (and I hadn't heard previously).

Really says a lot when so much of the music I listen to are by artists who are dead... Frown

-MG

Posts: 2227 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For anyone interested: Sirius/XM Channel 27 is playing a Van Halen tribute right now.

Posts: 1369 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

I really wish he was known for something other than Eruption though. If I never hear that track again it'll be too soon.

I'm the oddball, I have always thought that Eddie was one of the best rhythm guitarists in rock, along with Malcolm Young, I appreciated his rhythm playing a little more than his lead playing. And Drop Dead Legs is a great example.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17195 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

I really wish he was known for something other than Eruption though. If I never hear that track again it'll be too soon.

I'm the oddball, I have always thought that Eddie was one of the best rhythm guitarists in rock, along with Malcolm Young, I appreciated his rhythm playing a little more than his lead playing. And Drop Dead Legs is a great example.
Yep, he was a great song writer and kept tight with the band.

And the D-Tuna is a genius invention.

Posts: 45565 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I always skip over Eruption. I NEVER skip over Drop Dead Legs. That is one of the toughest VH tunes to nail on guitar. That outro rhythm groove is off the hook.

Posts: 3692 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
Drop Dead Legs, man. One of my favorite VH songs ever.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post

I heard a story on the radio this morning and looked it up. Apparently, EVH was a gun owner; to say the least...

The author of a new Eddie Van Halen photo book claims the rock guitar icon once threatened Limp Bizkit frontman Fred Durst with a gun after a jam session that went south.

Biographer Andrew Bennett writes that Van Halen and Durst met at a party sometime in 2001 after Limp Bizkit guitarist Wes Borland had left the band.

At the time, the band was holding auditions for Borland's replacement. As Limp Bizkit was one of the biggest bands in the world at the time, a record executive suggested Van Halen consider a collaboration.

Durst reportedly reacted like most people would after hearing that suggestion: "That would be hilarious. The greatest guitar player ever plays with the worst band ever."

But as Bennett's story goes, Van Halen was more optimistic, and the two parties set up a jam session at Durst's house in Beverly Hills.

Van Halen showed up with some guitars, amplifiers and other gear, but was bothered by people smoking marijuana in the jam space and left abruptly.

A day went by and Van Halen grew furious with Durst for not reaching out to arrange the return of his gear.

Van Halen's mood soured and he headed back to Durst's place in a military vehicle he had acquired at an auction. When he got out of the large vehicle, he was wearing nothing but jeans held up by rope and ragged combat boots.

With his hair in a Samurai bun and a gun in his hand, he knocked on the door and Durst answered.

Van Halen reportedly recalled to Bennett what happened next: "I put my gun to that stupid f---ing red had of his, and I said, 'Where's my s--t, motherf---er?' That f---ing guy just turned to one of his employees and starts yelling at him to grab my s--t.'

Van Halen continued holding the gun at Durst as people went back and forth from the house, loading his gear into the truck.

https://www.iheart.com/content...after-a-jam-session/

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5526 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It was known Eddie collected guns, including full auto stuff. In one magazine interview I remember from decades ago, at the conclusion of the interview, he showed off an Uzi to the writer.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17195 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Yeah, this hit me hard as well. The first concert I ever went to was Van Halen, 1979. Saw them 5 more times after that and Eddie never disappointed. RIP Eddie, you always will be one of the best.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8659 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Damn!! Damn I didn't know he was sick. I hope the Blue Angels do a fly over for him. I suspect lots of guys were motivated to join with that Dreams video.

Posts: 7740 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only have six bands with 15 songs on my giant juke box , and V.H. is one of them.

And one of five band that I've enjoyed over 20 years.

I've often wondered if they had a George Martin or a Geoff Emerick to aid in there sucess

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55210 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post