SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Eddie Van Halen died
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eddie Van Halen died Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I didn’t know he was a Porsche guy

Posts: 13598 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
This is a kick in the balls. He's the reason I picked up a guitar for the first time.

For my first guitar, I bought Charvel parts from Dr. Music in Pasadena, same place he used to shop at.

I took a mini VH history tour on my first trip to LA in 1996. I went to Dr. Music too. By then it was all brass, woodwinds and sheet music. But on the way out I did spot an old Polaroid of Ed with his shark guitar and the store's owner on the wall behind the register.

Posts: 3692 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Part of my childhood died with him, I feel genuine sadness tonight and am near tears.

From his son:
“My father, Edward Lodewijk Van Halen lost his long and arduous battle with cancer this morning,” Wolfgang Van Halen wrote. “My heart is broken and I don’t think I’ll ever fully recover from this loss”

And he couldn’t read music. From a long ago interview:

"I don’t know shit about scales or music theory,” he told Rolling Stone in 1980. “I don’t want to be seen as the fastest guitar in town, ready and willing to gun down the competition. All I know is that rock & roll guitar, like blues guitar, should be melody, speed, and taste, but more important, it should have emotion. I just want my guitar playing to make people feel something: happy, sad, even horny.”

You were successful sir, rock in peace.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12407 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Seems too soon. Feels like he’s still 30 and rocking to me

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
First Neal Peart, now Eddie. Damn...

Two of my favorites gone this year.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5526 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He was a big part of my life back in the late 70's and beyond. Has a large space on my iPhone for those years. It's sad to see our Icons passing!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
RIP Rockstar.

Posts: 2050 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
So many of the stars from my generation are passing away.
RIP Eddie Van Halen

Posts: 246 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
First concert- Van Halen, Nassau Coliseum, Diver Down tour. Floor seats 10 rows back. Incredible. A very sad day. Died way too young.

Posts: 616 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I took a mini VH history tour on my first trip to LA in 1996. I went to Dr. Music too. By then it was all brass, woodwinds and sheet music. But on the way out I did spot an old Polaroid of Ed with his shark guitar and the store's owner on the wall behind the register.

My sister used to take flute lessons there one summer in the early 70s. Near Sears Robucks.

I grew up in Pasadena, went to high school in the mid-late 70s. Among the stoner kids in my high school, Van Halen was well known before their first album, they were the kingpins of the local music scene, spawning the L.A. hair metal scene.

I have been thinking of my high school years quite a bit tonight.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17195 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a flood of good memories of all the partying we did to that band! I contacted a couple of old buddies that were involved in said partying when I heard the news.

First time I saw Van Halen was right before they went huge, at the UPS Fieldhouse in Tacoma WA with a bunch of fellow Rangers. Basically the place was a basketball gym at the time.

RIP EVH

Tony

Posts: 371 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
One of my music heroes growing up. I always described Van Halen music as "hard rock with a smile".

RIP Eddie

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6167 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 5150 tape got me through boot camp and AIT. We wore it out passing it around with a Walkman. RIP!

Posts: 1369 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Damn. RIP Eddie.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15833 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
So many great memories with a Van Halen song in the background.

R.I.P. Eddie. Frown

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36898 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Ugh. Truly heartbreaking. One of my all-time favorite rockers. I just rode my bicycle the other morning to VH; guess what I’ll be playing again for tomorrow morning’s ride? Music of my youth...we’re getting to the age where our childhood heroes are starting to pass...sad days.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1748 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My brother was friends with Eddie back in the day. My brothers FB page shows a picture of the 2 of them clowning around. https://www.facebook.com/rockinjimmycrimmins/
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4279 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
A song that helped define my generation

In my opinion, one of the greatest videos every made, and an amazing combination of two groups a the top of their game.

And showing the world that yes the electric guitar can do everything that everyone else has been doing for decades but....

Buckle up buttercup, because it can also do THIS!

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38248 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
RIP Eddie. Rock In Peace.

Posts: 3265 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
RIP

Thanks for Hot for Teacher

Posts: 5228 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post