SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Eddie Van Halen died
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eddie Van Halen died Login/Join 
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
This is a kick in the balls. He's the reason I picked up a guitar for the first time.

Took this at the Spectrum in 1988.

Posts: 3692 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
This is a kick in the balls. He's the reason I picked up a guitar for the first time.

For my first guitar, I bought Charvel parts from Dr. Music in Pasadena, same place he used to shop at.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17195 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We wore their first album out in my buddy’s pool room as high schoolers. One of the greatest guitarists ever. RIP.

Posts: 5235 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought the Blue Angels-Dreams video was the best thing I'd ever seen back when it came out. I never saw them perform in the A4, but have many times with the F18s. Does anyone know if they actually landed all 6 at the same time at airshows, or was that done just for the video?

Posts: 9030 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Didn't know he was that ill. Wolfgang is his son by Valerie Bertinelli who I thought was quite the hottie and a great catch fro Eddie back in the day.

He’s been fighting cancer for years and it seems to have spread to his brain. His style and sound defined 80s rock.

Posts: 13843 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of from HH
posted Hide Post
Wow, sad news indeed...

Didn‘t know, he had this most feared illness...

Van Halen has always been one of my alltime favorite bands. Saw them with David Lee Roth once (waayy back...) and with Sammy Hagar twice.

Thinking of the guitar intro to „Ain‘t talkin‘ bout love“ right now...

Once again important (to me at least) news, that I first read about in SIGforum, before anywhere else!

————————————————————————————————————————————————

Aus einem traurigen Arsch kommt niemals ein fröhlicher Furz.
(Martin Luther)

Posts: 330 | Location: Hamburg / Germany | Registered: November 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I ran into his wife Valerie Bertinelli just coming out of a radio interview at a studio located in my NJ. ^AM not quite awake patrolling the area found her in the parking lot. Even doing a radio interview she dressed hot.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5806 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I thought the Blue Angels-Dreams video was the best thing I'd ever seen back when it came out. I never saw them perform in the A4, but have many times with the F18s. Does anyone know if they actually landed all 6 at the same time at airshows, or was that done just for the video?

I don't believe so, the Scooter is quite a bit smaller than the F-18. I thought it was the best plane the Blue's ever used, not only a hot-shit maneuverable plane but, it's roll-rate was crazy, great for aerobatics. There's a number of maneuvers they used to do they no longer do with the F-18

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Major bummer. One of my top 5 all time guitar players!

Posts: 1827 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
RIP Eddie. You will be missed. Frown

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8659 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Not afraid to say when I learned of this news today that I choked up. Van Halen is my favorite band of all-time and Eddie was a teenage hero of mine. Saw my first rock concert in '84 at the Spectrum in Philly, slept out overnight a few years later for the 5150 tour and had a blast at the Monsters of Rock concert at the old JFK stadium.
Eddie's sound has been replicated many times by other rock musicians and his musical legacy (guitars, amps, riffs, etc.) will be around for a long, long time thank God.

RIP Eddie and I know the angels in heaven are rockin' Eruption w/you tonight.

Posts: 3371 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
He didn't invent "tapping", but he defintely popularized the technique. That guitar was smoking (and I don't mean the cigarette).

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16957 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn it.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bad news. I played the crap out of 1984 cassette. RIP EVH

Posts: 1584 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
Damn. RIP Eddie. Frown

Van Halen was the soundtrack of my high school years.

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1917 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry to hear this. RIP, Eddie.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39287 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
RIP, damn, it hit me too, from twelve to 18 years old (1984)the original lineup was the soundtrack of my teens through junior high to high school. I remember when I heard their first songs it was such a blast to finally hear a hard rocking band again.

Who can forget when you first heard "Eruption" kickin into "You really got me".

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4384 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
EVH could flat out get after it on a guitar.
RIP pal and thanks for all the tunes.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3888 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcshooter
posted Hide Post
Well that just ruined my day.

I'll share MY Eddie story:

Sometime around 2003 and I was working as a ski patroller at Park City Mountain Resort in Park City, UT. I was in the plaza and some lady tapped me on the shoulder from behind. I turned and thought to myself, "Man, that girl looks just like Vallerie Bertinelli."

She asked if I'd take a look at her husband. I look over to where she's pointing and along comes this gangly, skinny dude shuffling along in a pair of checkered Vans. I thought, "Man, that dude looks like Eddie Van Halen."

Not thinking much of it I started tending to a nasty gash in his leg (I guess I'll risk the HIPAA violation for a good story). After dealing with the injury and having to fill out the paperwork after I asked him for his name. "If you say your name is "Eddie" I might actually believe you."

"My name is Eddie."

At that point I actually took a hard look at his face. The cancer had ravaged him, but sure enough...I actually had a moment. (I've treated literally hundreds of celebrities in my career, particularly around Sundance season, and I've never really given a damn.) But I seriously had to compose myself.

It was probably one of the most memorable patient interactions I've ever had. I idolized the dude and hearing that he's gone has me thinking the world is just a little worse of a place than it was yesterday.

p.s. Under "Occupation" I wrote: Rock God.

RIP Eddie. No better guitarist ever lived.

Posts: 751 | Location: Free State of Utah | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP Eddie!

While in HS me and a some buddies took the ‘concert party’ train from Croton Harmon NY down to NYC to a Sabbath concert in MSG, and VH was the warm-up band. Must’ve been ‘76 or ‘77.

None of us had even heard of VH at that point but we surely did after their warm-up set, which was the entirety of their first album, side A and B played straight thru! Freaking amazing!!

Honestly, Sabbath was challenged to top VH’s show!

Posts: 3589 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post