SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Two trash cans stuck together...how to un-stickify them? UPDATE on Page 5
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two trash cans stuck together...how to un-stickify them? UPDATE on Page 5 Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
Trash guys got them stuck last year. The google-net has not helped.

After trying to brute force them with all the might I could...nothing. Still stuck.

I said screw it and just used my stupid double deck trash can for the past year.

I’ve tried a few methods...filling the bottom can with water is not an option because it has a small hole in it.

I want to use both cans and I don’t want to destroy them. (Yes, I could buy new cans, but at this point, it’s become a nagging puzzle/challenge that gnaws at my brain every time I take out the trash and fumble with this high center of gravity frankencan.

Any ideas?

(If it helps, the bottom can is blue and the top one is brown.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RAMIUS,

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Maybe Cold water / ice in inner can, hot water sprayed on outside can.

Posts: 1986 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
Can you use the existing hole or drill a new one and use an air compressor to pressurize it and push the top one off?

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Soapy water?

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Chain one to the house and the other to the car, then pop the clutch.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tannerite would be my suggestion

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:

We're gonna need video of this if you do it.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
You need an air compressor. Know anyone with a wood or auto shop?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:

We're gonna need video of this if you do it.

No, no, no....too sedate.
You’re gonna need a few pounds of nitrate, and a couple gallons of diesel....

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Suspend the pair from the top lip of the inside can, squirt some WD40 in the gap between the cans, and drop some dry ice inside the top can. Wait a while and try tugging the outside can down away from the suspended inside can.

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BTDT with 5 gallon buckets and grips on bicycle handlebars. As mentioned above, you need an air compressor. If you can get air moving between the two, they will separate easily. Hopefully you can flex one can enough for the nozzle to shoot air in between them. Be aware of safety concerns. Eye protection is recommended and do not put yourself into a position where high pressure air is directed at any part of your body. Air injected into the bloodstream is very bad news.

Posts: 586 | Location: NC | Registered: March 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
What did cooger do? There's a chance the method scales to trash cans....

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I would sell the house and move leave the cans there.

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Plastic? Easy, just drop them on the side a few times. From 4'-5'

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Metal? Plastic?

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
It might be a little late in the year for this idea, but here's the idea. Place the cans upside down. Fill the bottom can with water. I know you said there was a hole, but you will actually use the hole for filling. The bottom must be completely full (i.e. no air). Leave the cans outside during freezing conditions. As the water freezes, it will expand and drive the two cans apart.

This depends on having a water-tight seal between the cans. If there is not (despite the fact that they're stuck together), this can still work if you can fill the bottom can quickly, then seal the hole with duct tape, and re-invert the cans right-side up, then leave it out for the overnight freeze.

You knew the solution would involve duct tape, didn't you? Wink

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I have no idea if this will actually work, but in the spirit of previous responses.

Invert cans in center of driveway
pour one half cup of flammable liquid (gas) into hole on outside can so it resides between them
wait short time for vaporization/mixing with air
apply flame to hole
(use long match/be prepared to retreat)

Posts: 6455 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
I have no idea if this will actually work, but in the spirit of previous responses.

Invert cans in center of driveway
pour one half cup of flammable liquid (gas) into hole on outside can so it resides between them
wait short time for vaporization/mixing with air
apply flame to hole
(use long match/be prepared to retreat)

Be sure and have your heirs film it and post video here

Light bender eye mender

Posts: 412 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
What did cooger do? There's a chance the method scales to trash cans....

Oh man! I thought of my cup fiasco as soon as I opened this thread Big Grin

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use caution when using pressure to separate these, especially if these are metal cans.

I think inverting the cans in the driveway, and using compressed air in the small hole of the bottom one should work if you have a good seal between the two.

I think some black powder substitute thru the small hole, (make sure space between is dry), and about 10 inches of fuse would be more fun. Let the kids watch from a safe distance. Something about watching the fuse burn...

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post