SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Two trash cans stuck together...how to un-stickify them? UPDATE on Page 5
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two trash cans stuck together...how to un-stickify them? UPDATE on Page 5 Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Bendable's idea would certainly work, but I like the satisfaction of a DIY approach.

If you've seen the movie The Score, this is the effect I'm shooting for, although a safer (no pun) version...

EDIT: hello, page five.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16349 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
How to execute the above: fill the space between the cans with an incompressible fluid (water will do), and seal the fill-hole with duct tape. Now lay the cans on their side, and beat the bottom can firmly with rubber mallet. Mop up spilled water, and you're done.

If it doesn't work, I can still fall back on you didn't use a big enough mallet.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16349 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Did you try my suggestion?

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
Did you try my suggestion?

Yes, it may have made it worse if that’s possible Wink

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Do these cans have to hold water, or just trash bags?

If the latter, I’d be tempted to get a small to medium hole saw bit and start punching holes through both cans at what seem to be the contact points.

Turn them into Swiss cheese and eventually they might come apart while retaining their function.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Five pages, this amount of time... I think at this point it is safe to call in Tannerite and get the job done.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I just realized I have two air compressors, I’ll try using both at once. If not, I’m going to perform surgery.

Or use vehicles and rope.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
I just realized I have two air compressors, I’ll try using both at once. If not, I’m going to perform surgery.

Film it for YouTube! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16210 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Hang the cans by the handles of only the top can using your tug rope. Deform the top can enough to inject hot water with a garden hose into the space between the cans. If the bottom can is not secured, the weight of the water should, in time, overcome the suction between the two cans. Reducing the surface tension with dish soap (if it is still there) should speed the process along.

After this hangs for a while, grab the handles of the bottom can and try to rotate the bottom can axially.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oddly, I never thought I needed a heavy duty tug boat rope until I saw this picture...

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:

Film it for YouTube! Big Grin

I vote for vehicles and rope....
Video or it didn't happen!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have my kind of luck you could just put them out for the trash. When the garbage man goes to throw them in the truck they will magically separate but then instantly crushed by the garbage truck compactor blade.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
Haven't read the entire thread, so I dont know if this has been suggested already or not, but have you tried using a couple shims (wood type for carpentry) a few inches away from another to create a gap to break the seal or where you could get a better chance to use the air compressor trick? One of those air shims could also be useful.

Posts: 249 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
There has been separation!

After more than a year of dragging around these stupid cans, they are separated!

I've done just about everything you guys suggested and more. As I was about to give it one more try with the two air compressors. I figured I'd give it one more try with a method I haven't used yet while waiting for the compressors to power up.

Expecting nothing to happen, I laid the cans on the side, sat on the ground with my feet pushing on the outer handles, and my hands pulling on the inner handles.

I summoned all my strength from years of powerlifting as well as the anger and frustration that has built up inside me from dealing with this stupid trash can.

I first gave it a gentle pull, to make sure that I had it gripped correctly...it was with that gentle pull that the trash cans immediately separated with the ease of taking off your hat.

...Unbelievable. I sat there for a minute while a range of emotions washed over me...mostly confusion, but also happiness that I have two normal trash cans. I must say though, I am a bit sad that the trash can challenge has ended so anti-climactically.

Reenactment of the Successful separation of the trash cans:

The separated trash cans:

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Great success! Glad you utilized years of power lifting.

Posts: 7454 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Obviously, you need to get them stuck back together & film the proper separation for proof. Razz

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15316 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post

It will surely be a memorable day for the baby watching you weep in the driveway holding onto trash cans this fine spring day.

Formative, perhaps....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
And now they can both live separate and productive lives. Big Grin

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post