SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Two trash cans stuck together...how to un-stickify them? UPDATE on Page 5
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two trash cans stuck together...how to un-stickify them? UPDATE on Page 5 Login/Join 
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I want to know how/when this is resolved.
For real, this is going to bug me.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29699 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which ever method you choose to use, the results will be most spectacular if you proclaim, "Hold my beer, watch this!" before proceeding.

Posts: 282 | Location: Central PA | Registered: November 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Av8nShooter:
Which ever method you choose to use, the results will be most spectacular if you proclaim, "Hold my beer, watch this!" before proceeding.

Ha! Keep the ideas coming if you got’em.

Last night, I put a ton of dish soap between the two trash cans hoping to maybe get them slippery enough to separate, tried to pull them apart this morning. Still nothing....other than really slippery trash cans.

I do have an air compressor, so I’ll give that a shot.

In the video above, with the guy hammering at the cans, I gave that a shot, but those cans look more rigid, these are the flexible Rubbermaid type and they just absorb the hammer blows while mocking me.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
I would sell the house and move leave the cans there.

That’s my next option.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ha! Keep the ideas coming if you got’em.

Heat? Warm the exterior one up so it becomes more flexible.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
Put a postage label on it, send it to yourself. By the time the PO handles it and gets it back to you, it is bound to break, thus solving YOUR problem!!!

2nd option....Maybe put both cans over a 20 pound bag of ice on the driveway on a warm day. The outside can gets warm, the inner can gets cold. Then try to pull them apart?

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14010 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am amazed the breadth and depth of knowledge shown here on SF. And the willingness of members to share it.
And if no one can come up with a solution to a problem, the suggestion is always made to apply high explosives.
I hope you guys never volunteer to work on my plumbing. Or my truck!
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Before you go to the sell the house option, you should give this method a try.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?...LqU&feature=youtu.be

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Spritz a second or so of starting fluid in that hole. Toss match at it.

Don’t go stupid with the ether, done properly you’ll get hundreds of shots outta that trash can. Wink

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Are these the big ones with the attached flip lids? or regular plastic rubbermaid stuff?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Are these the big ones with the attached flip lids? or regular plastic rubbermaid stuff?

Regular plastic Rubbermaid ones.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Just curious. Did you email Rubbermaid asking for their counsel, advice, and wisdom? Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16215 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Just curious. Did you email Rubbermaid asking for their counsel, advice, and wisdom? Big Grin

Ha! Maybe I will.

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Gonna try the air compressor today.

If that doesn’t work, I wonder if slicing the bottom trash can vertically near the top of the can could release some friction? To me that’d be cheating because it might ruin the can, but then again could always repair it with copious amounts of duct tape or something.

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
If you drilled a couple holes in the bottom can, would that help eliminate any suction between the two? I already have a few holes in the bottom of my big square rolling cans, just for when the trash guys leave them open on rainy days....

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wouldn't that be cheating? Big Grin

Adding to what other people suggested:
Open YouTube and search for "fastest way to inflate a tire".
Or "how to separate stuck buckets".

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
Heck, just let'em finish. Worst case you could have a bunch of small trash cans running around.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
They'd probably just send you 2 more (detached) trash cans and tell you to give up.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post