SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Two trash cans stuck together...how to un-stickify them? UPDATE on Page 5
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two trash cans stuck together...how to un-stickify them? UPDATE on Page 5 Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
Spritz a second or so of starting fluid in that hole. Toss match at it.

Don’t go stupid with the ether, done properly you’ll get hundreds of shots outta that trash can. Wink

That's what I was going t suggest. Although, I don't know if "suggest" is the right word. Big Grin

Watching guys seat the bead on a tire that way is what made me think of it. But then I too smart/scared to do that either. Wink

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
If you do anything that involves high pressure or sudden release of energy and don't record it for our edification, I'll be very disappointed. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I did think of the flammable liquid method also, but didn't want to suggest something potentially dangerous. I've seen the videos of inflating tires that way.

Here's another thing to try: invert the cans as I suggested before, and again fill the interstitial space with water. Now take a big rubber mallet, and beat the bottom of the can (which is on top now). The cans may separate due to something called the "water hammer" effect, since water is an incompressible medium. It may also rupture the cans, just so you know.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
Seriously tho... what brand cans?

I’m a professional...I know about this issue.

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigmule:
Seriously tho... what brand cans?

Rubbermaid...several posts cited the brand on page 2 of this thread. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
You got two doc diameter cans there.
Grab the top barrel by the handles place you thumbs on the lip of the lower
Barrel and gently push straight down with your thumbs.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Three pages on this subject? Really?

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Be happy it's just trash cans, imagine the length of a thread about two dogs stuck together!

Posts: 6470 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
I couldn’t make page one.

Those cans are keyed together. No compressor will solve this.
Next time remember your color sequence when stacking and align all
The key ways.

I’ll send along the rubber maid TM. Smile

We use brutes. And they do vary in diameter and shade of gray.

I do train my staff on this. Seriously.

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Hold one can and have someone hold the other. Hold them by the handles and twist in opposite directions of each other. That should break the seal that's holding them together.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Go buy a new trash can

Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
421 pages on the subject of excessive cat pictures. We find it entertaining; it amuses us. Big Grin

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Not the same thing and you know it

posted Hide Post
I gotta admit, I keep waiting for the **UPDATE**. Lol

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
Hold one can and have someone hold the other. Hold them by the handles and twist in opposite directions of each other. That should break the seal that's holding them together.

That’s probably your best bet. If it doesn’t work, you’ll have invented a new way of determining who’s strongest.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Bottle jack, if you can rotate so the handles line up. Crowbar once you get a gap?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
No deal involved. It’s siezed. Trust me on this one.

I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Metal shears, cut the outer one off, salvage the inner one. Advise if trashmen took trash trash can. If not, post free on Craigslist, requires some TLC!

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Add dirt.

Plant tomatos.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post