SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Merkur safety razors metal type?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merkur safety razors metal type? Login/Join 
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ken226:
Also, I'm a lazy shaver. I always used canned shaving cream. A couple days ago, I switched to Tabac shaving soap and aftershave. The shaving soap made at least as much of a difference as the razor. It works so much better, for me, than canned shaving gel.

I can definitely identify with "lazy shaver."

If I'm willing to put the work in, the best lather I have found is with D.R. Harris soap, but it's a very hard soap and takes me a long time to build a dense lather (several minutes), so I almost never use it.

I get what I still consider a great lather very quickly (less than 30 seconds) with Proraso soap or Cella soap (interestingly, both Italian soaps).

I almost always shave with the green Proraso soap, which is the original version. It has eucalyptus and menthol and leaves my face pleasantly tingly.

I actually might slightly prefer the shave with Cella to Proraso, but Cella has an INTENSE almond scent that I don't care for (it does fade very quickly after you rinse your face, you don't go around all day smelling like marzipan).

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
I've been using a bowl of D.R. Harris for a month now and I'm just now getting it right. The key seems to be, work it over with a boar brush like you hate it.

I'm getting much better results.

Cella, on the other hand, is much easier to work with. They have a smaller tub if the kilo block seems a bridge too far.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post