SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Merkur safety razors metal type?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merkur safety razors metal type? Login/Join 
Picture of Ken226
posted
Anyone know what type of metal the Merkur 23c is made of?

My Merkur 23c, which has given me 10 years of phenominal service, broke when I dropped it in the shower. The threaded stud pulled free from the head. Frown It's been the best razor I've ever used.

Upon further inspection, the stud was made from chrome plated brass, and appeared to have originally been soldered into the head. The socket in the head that it pulled out of, appeared to be brass as well.

The stud could easily be popped back into the socket by hand, so i decided to solder the stud back in place rather than send it back to Merkur.

Well, it didn't go well! Smile

I cleaned the mating brass parts, added paste flux, and hit it with the propane torch. That's when things got wrapped around the axle! The head immediately melted into a puddle. In the middle of the puddle was the brass socket that originally held the threaded stud.

Apparently, the whole head was made of something that melts at around 600f. Possibly some zinc alloy or even cast from solder?

I'm now in the market for a new safety razor... This time, I want the highest quality, simple 3 peice, mild shave razor I can find.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
ZAMAK. A pot metal alloy. Once the plating goes, the metal gets compromised easily.

It's why all my razors are plated brass.

ETA: Look at Fatip razors. All brass. I have a Special Edition that comes with a gentle closed plate, and a more aggressive open comb plate. You'll read they have QC issues, but I have 2 and they're perfect.

Also, check Maggard's, they have very reasonable Stainless Steel models.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I now use a Feather stainless with Feather blades. Mild and close Smile

"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose. - Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart, VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO.

Posts: 167 | Location: Ireland | Registered: December 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
I looked up the models you guys suggested, and they look perfect for what I want.

That feather looks gorgeous. I did a little research on it, and it's pretty impressive, if your talking about the as-d2 model. Made of powdered, sintered stainless alloy, something like my hemis connecting rods, and coated with nickel-teflon. But, wow, $$$

In your opinion, Is it worth the $$$. I don't really need it to double as an airhammer blade, but since it would be a lifetime purchase and used every day, amortized over a lifetime of use, pennys per day, maybe worth it.

This one?
https://out.reddit.com/t3_197f...peSF&app_name=mweb2x

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Also, take a look at the Rockwell 6s. I’ve never used one, but I hear great things. All stainless. 3 plates, for six blade settings. 100 bucks if I recall.

Should last a lifetime or two.

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
The Rockwell 6s is pretty badass too. Reviews seem to give them both similar amounts of praise. Both are similar in construction, with the Rockwell being a little better deal.

I'll be ordering one or the other shortly, depending on what kinda deal I can get.

Thanks for all the info. Since I tend to drop things, no more zamak for me.

That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
Did the same to my 23. Using a backup while I steel my nerves for the feather or Rocky purchase. Let me know what you choose and if you find a deal!

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigNC:
Let me know what you choose and if you find a deal!

Yes, let us know after you get some time in w/ it. I bought a second Edwin Jagger because they are also of similar construction (zinc?) as the Merkur and Muhle razors.
I've dropped it on carpet once w/o problems but for $30, I don't have high expectations other than the shave.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
I just ordered the feather as-d2 on Amazon for $162

Honestly,the Rockwell 6s was a much better deal. For the money, and what it is, it's a damn good deal.

But having a background in engineering, the look, and and the technology of the Feather as-d2 drew me in. I completely splurged cause I could have got the Rockwell for under $100 on Amazon.

And, I love feather hi-stainless blades. I got a 100 pack of blades from the same seller for 27 bucks.

Downright pretty:
payton girl name meaning

Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Nice. Let us know what you think. I'd be interested to know how mild it is and how well it works with a Feather.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I believe some of the Edwin Jagger models are similarly constructed, plated brass or stainless handles with zamak heads.

Posts: 17134 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, shaving, been so long that I almost forgot what that word was. Grow a beard and relax!!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
Ah, shaving, been so long that I almost forgot what that word was. Grow a beard and relax!!!

Unfortunately, my employer strictly forbids facial hair. Beards and goetees are verboten, and moustaches are regulated like nfa guns.

I always wanted one of those Kaiser Wilhelm moustaches and some Irish style chops, but my boss would shit himself if I showed up with one of those!

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:

Believe me, we do relax.
For me it starts w/ music I play when I enter the bathroom. No phones, no computers, no family. My time and some music. https://youtu.be/8UXircX3VdM?t=22
After a shower, moving on to picking a shave soap. Tobacco and roses or a warm summer day beach scent. Maybe a warm Bay Rum or cool mentholated iced citrus.
A soft badger brush working across my scalp and later, my face. The Schhhk of the blade as it removes my stubble. I'm new again.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been wanting a Feather DS2 myself but haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

I bought a Parker Adjustable and didn’t care for it.I gifted it to my son in law.

I bought a Timeless Stainless .68 that I like except for the price. This is a more aggressive razor which I usually pair with an Astra or Persona blade vs. a Feather.

For the price and shave quality, my two favorite DE Razors are my Edwin Jagger DE89L which works well with Feather blades and my Merkur 23C which also plays well with Feather blades. I take the Jagger when traveling.

When traveling I also take a Razorrock Plissoft synthetic brush and at home use my Parker 100% Silvertip Badger brush.

Posts: 1453 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
For those who have been safety razor shaving a while— how long does a blade last you?

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ken226:
I looked up the models you guys suggested, and they look perfect for what I want.

That feather looks gorgeous. I did a little research on it, and it's pretty impressive, if your talking about the as-d2 model. Made of powdered, sintered stainless alloy, something like my hemis connecting rods, and coated with nickel-teflon. But, wow, $$$

In your opinion, Is it worth the $$$. I don't really need it to double as an airhammer blade, but since it would be a lifetime purchase and used every day, amortized over a lifetime of use, pennys per day, maybe worth it.

This one?
https://out.reddit.com/t3_197f...peSF&app_name=mweb2x

Yes, that's the one. It is a lifetime purchase and will probably be a nice family heirloom in a couple of hundred years when the liberals have gene engineered facial hair out of existence Smile

I get about five + shaves from a Feather blade but have a goatee so in your case three is probably more realistic. You can buy the bulk packs of a hundred blades at pretty good value.

This is where I get my supplies. I think he can export without the VAT (Ireland sales tax) so might be worth considering. They also sell the blades.

https://www.shaving.ie/product...teel-razor-asd2.html

"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose. - Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart, VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO.

Posts: 167 | Location: Ireland | Registered: December 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
For those who have been safety razor shaving a while— how long does a blade last you?

I use most blades three times and discard.

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clayflingythingy:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by arabiancowboy:

I shave with it untill i starts to feel duller. I usually get about a week with my feather and merkur blades.

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:

I usually get 3 uses on my head and face, sometimes 4.