SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Merkur safety razors metal type?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merkur safety razors metal type? Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Everyone’s different and so are the blades. When you start to feel tugging or pulling instead of a smooth glide, toss the blade, even if mid-shave. Your face will thank you.

Posts: 17134 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
When I started, I used a new blade everyday because I wanted to limit variables. Now I shoot for seven. It’s very interesting how the profile of the blade changes. I had a Gillette I hated, but by day seven, it was so smooth I didn’t think there was a blade in the razor. One of the best shaves I’ve gotten.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
I just got the feather in the mail today, so naturally, I immediately ran to the bathroom to try it out.

Holy crap, it's smooth. With the feather blade in it, at first, I wasn't sure it was even working untill I wiped the leather off to see what was going on. Yup, the stubble was gone.. It's alot smoother and more mild than my merkur was, and left a closer shave as well!

Not exactly a scientific test though, the blade may have been part, or even all of it. But, I've used feather blades in my merkur before and not got as soft and smooth of a shave.

With my merkur, I was always careful. The blade always felt like I was one mistake away from needing a little toilet paper nib to soak up blood. This feather made it feel like I could go faster, and get away with more. I can easily see myself getting overconfident and cutting myself. It's just really easy to use.

It's beautiful made as well. It definitely deserves to be kept on the cool matching stand. I'm kicking myself for not paying up for the stand now.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
^^ Glad to hear you like it.
I like mild razors. I've got a Parker Variant if I want to get aggressive but I usually do just as many passes w/ it as w/ my mild Edwin Jagger.
The blade does the real work.

Posts: 7358 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I toss the Feathers after two shaves. I shave every other day unless in front of customers or at company HQ. I toss the Astra and Personna after 3 shaves. Blades are so cheap, I’m not wedded to them. It’s more about matching the right blade with the razor you might be using in your rotation that day.

Posts: 1453 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Hadn't used a Feather blade in a while, so I took one for a spin. I'll be putting them back in the rotation.

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
I threw a Merkur blade in my new Feather as-d2 this morning to take the feather blade out of the equation. It feels exactly the same with the Merkur blade.

I think the difference im noticing mostly has to do with the contact angle and shape of the curved top of the head. The Feather as-d2 head has a larger radius to the curved top of the head, so you end up holding the handle at about a 45° angle relative to your skin.

If held at the normal 30° ish angle, the blade doesn't even contact the skin.

I got a scrap chunk of 304ss out in the shop, I may go out later and turn a custom stand since I cheaper out and didn't get the stand with the razor.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Vintage Gillette. Plated brass.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Same here, several choices including a late 40's fat handle Tech (Feather AS-D2 is based on the prewar version), a 1947 Superspeed, and 1955 Red Tip Superspeed which is my current favorite. I really want to pick up a nice, clean mid 60's Slim Adjustable. I know people love their Fatboys, but I just can't justify what I see them going for.

Ken226, you'll like that thinner head style for getting up under your nose compared to the twist-to-open butterfly door heads.

I'm actually yet to try a modern production razor and want to try a slant-bar razor and I'm trying to narrow it down to a good deal on a vintage German razor I can't remember the name of that isn't Merkur, or a modern production Merkur. But I kind of really don't want to get a razor with a zamak head. I'm too clumsy and ham-fisted not to break it in short order.

Posts: 17134 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
quote:

They're great.

I have:

'57 Red Tip
2 '58 TV Specials
'59 Fatboy
and a '70 Super Adjustable

Sold off a Pre-war Fat Handle Tech which I regret. And a blue tip which was just too mild.

Vintage razors are like guns. You always regret letting them go.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:
Sold off a Pre-war Fat Handle Tech which I regret. And a blue tip which was just too mild.

Yeah, I will surely be keeping my Fat Handle Tech. It's a simple design, works great, and breaks down to nothing for travel. I totally wrote off a Blue Tip after almost deciding to let go of my '47 Superspeed for the same reason. I almost gifted it to a friend and decided better of it.

quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:
Vintage razors are like guns. You always regret letting them go.

Yup. OP should start cruising the antique, boutique, and discount stores. There was a member here who posted a while back at picking up a whole box full of vintage razors at an estate sale. Some of that stuff from a hundred plus years is actually in really good shape and just needs a hit with some Scrubbing Bubbles to eat the soap scum off, maybe some Never Dull and you're in business.

They ALL shave differently, even when loaded with the same blades. I can't use mild blades in a mild razor, but I can get by with them in the Red Tip, for example. Then there's adjustables and slant bars, and open comb vs. closed comb, and then you might have a peek at the interesting world of single edge safety razors (what modern box cutter blades are based on).

Might just have to break out the Ever-Ready 1912 for this evening's shave...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:

Same here, several choices including a late 40's fat handle Tech (Feather AS-D2 is based on the prewar version), a 1947 Superspeed, and 1955 Red Tip Superspeed which is my current favorite. I really want to pick up a nice, clean mid 60's Slim Adjustable. I know people love their Fatboys, but I just can't justify what I see them going for.

Ken226, you'll like that thinner head style for getting up under your nose compared to the twist-to-open butterfly door heads.

I'm actually yet to try a modern production razor and want to try a slant-bar razor and I'm trying to narrow it down to a good deal on a vintage German razor I can't remember the name of that isn't Merkur, or a modern production Merkur. But I kind of really don't want to get a razor with a zamak head. I'm too clumsy and ham-fisted not to break it in short order.

I purchased a bunch of old razors from an estate sale back in May. I still need to go through them and figure out what all I have. If I have anything you mentioned I'll let you know.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Awesome, thanks! Smile

Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
I been looking at some aftermarket stands, and pretty much everything on the market is tiny. I don't want the razor to weigh more than the stand.

I drew up one of my own design and specs in cad. I'm in the shop turning it now. I'll throw up a pic when it's done.

posted Hide Post
Razors https://imgur.com/gallery/gLD6Bps

These are the only Gillette's I have. I know the top left one is the most valuable one from the little bit of research I did when I bought the lot. I haven't even looked into what the other three are.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ken226:
I been looking at some aftermarket stands, and pretty much everything on the market is tiny. I don't want the razor to weigh more than the stand.

I drew up one of my own design and specs in cad. I'm in the shop turning it now. I'll throw up a pic when it's done.

Oh man, nice! That's kinda the reason I haven't bought one yet, they all sort of look so flimsy.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:

I have a Slim Adjustable from my year and quarter of my birthday. It was nice-ish, but not pristine, so I had it replated. It is pretty spiffy. Shaves good.

The old three piece Gillettes (non-clamshell and non-adjustable), were made by the millions, are good razors and are still cheap.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ox190:
Razors https://imgur.com/gallery/gLD6Bps

These are the only Gillette's I have. I know the top left one is the most valuable one from the little bit of research I did when I bought the lot. I haven't even looked into what the other three are.

Well, the bottom left is a Red Tip Superspeed, at least if that's remnants of red lacquer I'm seeing on the twist end. It should have a date code stamped on the bottom of the baseplate in the head. On the left side, you'll see a letter, on the right side a number from 1-4. Mine is A2, or second quarter of 1955. *Edit- Yep, it's a Red Tip, the handle pattern on yours and mine was a different texture from the standard and Blue Tips to help differentiate. You've just lost most of the lacquer.

The razor on the bottom right is a 70's "Black Beauty" slim adjustable. Aluminum handle with anodizing that wore off easily.

Top right is a ball handle New, 1930's.

Top Left , I can't quite figure out. I want to say a New Deluxe, but the pics don't match the twist end of the handle.

quote:
I have a Slim Adjustable from my year and quarter of my birthday. It was nice-ish, but not pristine, so I had it replated. It is pretty spiffy. Shaves good.

Nice. Who did you have do the work? I've been looking at Razor Emporium out of, I believe, Arizona.

quote:
The old three piece Gillettes (non-clamshell and non-adjustable), were made by the millions, are good razors and are still cheap.

Yeah, I picked up my Tech for $10. Same with the '47 Superspeed.

Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
It took about 45 minutes, but it's about 2.5 inches diameter and weighs about 1 lb.

online image hosting

Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Chris at razorplate.com is a great guy to work with for any replating. Doesn’t do work on Aluminum (blue tips, or black handle adjustables) or zamak. Brass only.