SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Merkur safety razors metal type?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merkur safety razors metal type? Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Ken226, I like it. Clean design and nicely executed.

quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:
Chris at razorplate.com is a great guy to work with for any replating. Doesn’t do work on Aluminum (blue tips, or black handle adjustables) or zamak. Brass only.

Thanks for the suggestion, it looks like he does pretty fine work. Might even be a hair cheaper, I'll have to check.

Posts: 17134 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by Ox190:
Razors https://imgur.com/gallery/gLD6Bps

These are the only Gillette's I have. I know the top left one is the most valuable one from the little bit of research I did when I bought the lot. I haven't even looked into what the other three are.

Well, the bottom left is a Red Tip Superspeed, at least if that's remnants of red lacquer I'm seeing on the twist end. It should have a date code stamped on the bottom of the baseplate in the head. On the left side, you'll see a letter, on the right side a number from 1-4. Mine is A2, or second quarter of 1955. *Edit- Yep, it's a Red Tip, the handle pattern on yours and mine was a different texture from the standard and Blue Tips to help differentiate. You've just lost most of the lacquer.

The razor on the bottom right is a 70's "Black Beauty" slim adjustable. Aluminum handle with anodizing that wore off easily.

Top right is a ball handle New, 1930's.

Top Left , I can't quite figure out. I want to say a New Deluxe, but the pics don't match the twist end of the handle.

quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I have a Slim Adjustable from my year and quarter of my birthday. It was nice-ish, but not pristine, so I had it replated. It is pretty spiffy. Shaves good.

Nice. Who did you have do the work? I've been looking at Razor Emporium out of, I believe, Arizona.

quote:
The old three piece Gillettes (non-clamshell and non-adjustable), were made by the millions, are good razors and are still cheap.

Yeah, I picked up my Tech for $10. Same with the '47 Superspeed.

I checked the bottom left one more closely it does have some remnants of the red lacquer and it's stamped B2. The New Deluxe one is slightly baffling to me as well because I've searched a lot online and I haven't been able to find one that looks exactly like it. Thanks.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ken226:
It took about 45 minutes, but it's about 2.5 inches diameter and weighs about 1 lb.

online image hosting
Now that's a clean, simple, look. I like it...a lot.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't remember who did the plating. I'll dig around a little.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Feather is a beautiful razor. When I received mine, I was more than impressed. The finish is wonderful and it reminded me of Dagny Taggert's explanation of Readon metal. The heft and strippling of the razor are exceptional. The feed back is amazing! It doesn't work for me. I tried for two years to love and appreciate this razor. It is too mild for me. Merkur Progress with Crystal blades is my go to shave.

Posts: 52 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
x
quote:

I appreciate it. Smile

I've got a few I want to get restored.

quote:
I checked the bottom left one more closely it does have some remnants of the red lacquer and it's stamped B2.

Yep, a very tenderly loved second quarter of '56 Red Tip Superspeed that's a good candidate for a refinish as long as the guard isn't all dented up and the doors open smoothly.

quote:
The New Deluxe one is slightly baffling to me as well because I've searched a lot online and I haven't been able to find one that looks exactly like it. Thanks.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=27409

It's actually a Tuckaway!

Posts: 17134 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Top right is a ball handle New, 1930's.

Top Left , I can't quite figure out. I want to say a New Deluxe, but the pics don't match the twist end of the handle.

The top right looks like a Gillette Tech.
The top left looks like a Gillette 1930 New short comb travel version.

ETA: oops, I didn't bother to look at your next post concerning the New Improve Tuckaway.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I can't find any record of who replated mine. It might have been razorplate.com, but I really can't be certain.

Swing over to badgerandblade.com forums and ask around. Or just search their forums, you'll find who they like, which is what I did.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I appreciate you looking and trying to set me up with them. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
quote:
x
quote:

I appreciate it. Smile

I've got a few I want to get restored.

quote:
I checked the bottom left one more closely it does have some remnants of the red lacquer and it's stamped B2.

Yep, a very tenderly loved second quarter of '56 Red Tip Superspeed that's a good candidate for a refinish as long as the guard isn't all dented up and the doors open smoothly.

quote:
The New Deluxe one is slightly baffling to me as well because I've searched a lot online and I haven't been able to find one that looks exactly like it. Thanks.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=27409

It's actually a Tuckaway!

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kvXp3bbdT4A" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Thank you!!

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:
Originally posted by BigNC:
Let me know what you choose and if you find a deal!

Yes, let us know after you get some time in w/ it. I bought a second Edwin Jagger because they are also of similar construction (zinc?) as the Merkur and Muhle razors.
I've dropped it on carpet once w/o problems but for $30, I don't have high expectations other than the shave.

I've got 9 days of shaving with the feather as-d2 so far, so I can give a better impression.

Obviously, ones impression of a razor is pretty subjective, so others may not have the same results given different skin type and hair type.

So far, I love it. It feels very mild and smooth, yet with feather blades leaves me with a close shave. I haven't had a shaving cut yet. With the Merkur 23c, I got a nick about once a week. Usually right under my nose.

Also, I'm a lazy shaver. I always used canned shaving cream. A couple days ago, I switched to Tabac shaving soap and aftershave. The shaving soap made at least as much of a difference as the razor. It works so much better, for me, than canned shaving gel.

I'm still on the same feather blade after 9 days.

The Tabac has an odd smell. Not bad at all, I like it. But, odd in the sense that it reminds me of something from my childhood. Something from far enough back that I have no idea what the familiarity is, bit it's there.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I have yet to try Tabac, but I know exactly what you’re talking about with the vague familiar smell from childhood. I got that from both Florida Water and Pinaud Clubman aftershaves. Then again, those two have been available in this country for over 210 years, so it’s not surprising that I’ve smelled them growing up with some of the older folks I was around.

And yeah, actual quality shave soap performs much better than foam in can anything. It just does. It’s the one thing I would recommend folks do it they want to improve their shave but don’t want to give up cartridges or are intimidated by a double edge blade. At least get rid of the can, get yourself a brush and a puck of decent soap and stick with it until you get the lathering technique down. It’s so much better.

Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
This is going to sound nuts. But here goes. Decant Clubman aftershave (or anything in plastic bottles) into a glass bottle. Makes it smell better. I suspect the alcohol reacts with the plastic.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, let us know after you get some time in w/ it. I bought a second Edwin Jagger because they are also of similar construction (zinc?) as the Merkur and Muhle razors.
I've dropped it on carpet once w/o problems but for $30, I don't have high expectations other than the shave.

I've got 9 days of shaving with the feather as-d2 so far, so I can give a better impression.

Obviously, ones impression of a razor is pretty subjective, so others may not have the same results given different skin type and hair type.

So far, I love it. It feels very mild and smooth, yet with feather blades leaves me with a close shave. I haven't had a shaving cut yet. With the Merkur 23c, I got a nick about once a week. Usually right under my nose.

Also, I'm a lazy shaver. I always used canned shaving cream. A couple days ago, I switched to Tabac shaving soap and aftershave. The shaving soap made at least as much of a difference as the razor. It works so much better, for me, than canned shaving gel.

The Tabac has an odd smell. Not bad at all, I like it. But, odd in the sense that it reminds me of something from my childhood. Something from far enough back that I have no idea what the familiarity is, bit it's there.

I think that Mitchells Wool Fat Shaving Soap is the king of shaving soaps. I don't know if its available on your side of the pond but if you can get it try it!

"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose. - Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart, VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO.

Posts: 167 | Location: Ireland | Registered: December 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rosahane:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I think that Mitchells Wool Fat Shaving Soap is the king of shaving soaps. I don't know if its available on your side of the pond but if you can get it try it!

It's available, and on my short list. I plan to order some right after my Taylor of old bond street sandalwood shows up.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have the Tabac shave stick and it initially smelled like a powdery grandma to me. Over time I got use to it and enjoy it. Most all of my shave soaps smell different upon arrival compared to how I imagined from their descriptions.
I don't mind as long as they perform well.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:
This is going to sound nuts. But here goes. Decant Clubman aftershave (or anything in plastic bottles) into a glass bottle. Makes it smell better. I suspect the alcohol reacts with the plastic.

Doesn't sound crazy, I'll try it. I picked up a bottle of Clubman and haven't been able to bring myself to try it yet. It's... entirely potent.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have yet to try Tabac, but I know exactly what you’re talking about with the vague familiar smell from childhood.

Funny, whenever this happens to me, it’s the modeling clay from kindergarten.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11285 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It's available, and on my short list. I plan to order some right after my Taylor of old bond street sandalwood shows up.

I you haven't already done so try the D R Harris soaps which are good. Avoid Geo F Thumper which is crap as they dropped tallow from the formula. If you want an authentic Italian barber experience get a 1kg block of Cella and share it.

"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose. - Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart, VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO.

Posts: 167 | Location: Ireland | Registered: December 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
I you haven't already done so try the D R Harris soaps which are good.

+1. The D R Harris Marlborough shave stick is one of my favorites. I also have it in puck form just because. W/ the plethora of wet shaving products to experiment w/, it's one of the few soaps I've repurchased before running out. Another would be the Palmolive shave sticks. Dirt cheap but great performance.