SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm gonna put loud pipes on my Harley, and a powerful music sound system
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm gonna put loud pipes on my Harley, and a powerful music sound system Login/Join 
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
And I always wanted to pay attention to traffic noises and be aware of my surroundings instead of being distracted by noise of my own making.

Posts: 6617 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
The whole "loud pipes for safety" is complete bs and everyone knows it. It's simply a way to make your pos childishly loud and obnoxious under the guise of something that could pass as being responsible. It isn't.
Learn how to ride a real bike, ride defensively and accept the responsibility of your own protection.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
Alright, Ryan. We get your viewpoint. You don’t have to keep repeating it.

How about you show some respect to your many fellow forum members who don’t share your opinion and in fact love our Harleys? Not all of us are obnoxious idiots.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Main Street Daytona Bike Week 2023, we found a couple of spots to park and watch before sundown.

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I think there are some situations. Let's ask it this way, does anyone think that when riding in traffic among cars and trucks and not being heard, is as safe as being heard?

Ever be driving in your car and hear a vehicle (be it large truck, car, motorcycle) coming up in the adjacent lane?

Ever be on your bike (or car) on a multi lane road overtaking a car in the lane to your right, when the inattentive driver does the following 3 things at the same time, or worse yet in this order? Start moving over into your lane, activate the left turn signal, then look in their left mirror?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7085 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Why would you think, in that situation, someone would hear where your motorcycle is? They'd hear that there's one somewhere, but not get your location, unless you're well above safe hearing levels?

Why is your safety, in your hobby, more important that the general population's desire for peace and quiet?

Bicyclists do not ride around with sirens on their bikes.

Has there ever been any data showing "loud pipes save lives?"

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
Bicyclists do not ride around with sirens on their bikes.
And a lot of them get killed.

And I would think safety would always override desire for peace and quiet. YMMV

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine had really loud pipes on his Harley. He said, "It's uncomfortable as hell, doesn't handle worth a shit, so I might as well be obnoxious."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
How about you show some respect to your many fellow forum members who don’t share your opinion and in fact love our Harleys?

Can't be done with this technology. Wink

I am constantly amazed at those who cry freedom for their thing, but want to stop anyone else's freedoms if they deem them not to be of their liking.

What would they do if they couldn't explain to everyone that they alone determine what is and is not a "real" bike, or determine another man's dick size by someone's buying choices?

The biggest demographic of homo-erotic concern I have ever encountered is those that don't have Harleys, Corvettes, guns, or trucks. They are CONSTANTLY fretting about dick measurements. I don't get it. I'm starting to think the lady doth protest too much. Cool

Along with a few other members here - like Rainman, Stick, RideWV, etc. I've logged a fuck-ton of miles on two wheels. I spent 13 years working in the motorcycle industry. I've owned a Bandit 400, a CBR600F2, a ZX9R, a FZR600, a TL1000S, a ZX6R, a DRZ400SM, a Dyna Wide Glide, and more dirt bikes than I can shake my pathetically small PP at.

Loud pipes or radios in residential areas are annoying and obnoxious. Be respectful of others and ride your ride. Easy on the wick and the tunes while in town, and crank both when you're on the open road.

I don't care what you ride or what size your junk is. Rather it's a Vespa or a full bagger, if you've got your knees in the breeze, have fun and be safe out there.

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
Why would you think, in that situation, someone would hear where your motorcycle is? They'd hear that there's one somewhere, but not get your location, unless you're well above safe hearing levels?....

Absolutely they would and it certainly would not have to be "well above safe hearing levels". Are you saying you've never heard a truck coming right along side you when driving? If so you really should be tested by an audiologist, or turn your radio down.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7085 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

And I would think safety would always override desire for peace and quiet. YMMV

flashguy

As a general rule, no. An individuals desire to engage in a hobby, does not give him the right to intrude on others.

A person may love to sing - doesn't mean he has a right to start singing at the top of his lungs in a cafe, when the rest of the people do not wish him to - or to play his drums at 3AM in his condo, etc.

By definition, having loud pipes is being a boor. The rider is demanding the attention, of those who have no desire to grant it.

Has anyone every showed data that loud pipes save lives?

Even if loud pipes count as speech, its amplified speech, and there are restrictions on that.

The same people who proclaim they need them for their own safety, also seem to have a need to rev their bikes at stoplights and stop signs.

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Are you saying you've never heard a truck coming right along side you when driving? If so you really should be tested by an audiologist, or turn your radio down.

I know my hearing is bad, which is why I've had to stop driving convertibles - and I have had my ears left ringing by "loud pipes" being revved at stop signs and in traffic.

It depends on how many lanes - for the most part, I drive on 6-7 lane city roads - maybe if I still was in a convertible I could tell, but inside my car, I can't tell where a truck or a motorcycle is.

posted Hide Post
As usual, South Park had something to say about this subject:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: clang,

Posts: 266 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
You know, I don't ever think I've ever seen a murdercycle with a four foot pole and flashing light on top (for safety and visibility of course).

Posts: 6459 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If 33% of you are "right" and 33% of you are " wrong"

What's to discuss ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54611 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
You know, I don't ever think I've ever seen a murdercycle with a four foot pole and flashing light on top (for safety and visibility of course).

You’d also think “for the chirrens” that Harley would provide really loud, more obnoxious pipes from the factory “even if it saves one life”. But, strangely, the people that design these things apparently either don’t care about the children, or they don’t believe they are necessary.

But, these threads are hilarious to watch. I can’t wait until there is only Harley E-Bikes. You’ll see all the manly, 1% wannabes putting playing cards in the spokes. Internet arguments will be the quality of bass you get out of Bicycle or Bee brand.

You’ll hear “LOUD CARDS SAVES LIVES”

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
A buddy’s dad was an engineer in Harley’s Acoustics and Vibration Lab from the late 80s to the early 2000s. They worked very hard to meet the EPA and European noise standard requirements.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AH.74:
Alright, Ryan. We get your viewpoint. You don’t have to keep repeating it.

How about you show some respect to your many fellow forum members who don’t share your opinion and in fact love our Harleys? Not all of us are obnoxious idiots.

How about I feel free to share my opinions. I don't have to respect people who I deem less than deserving.
Grown men who partake in such things as these fall under this category in my opinion.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Hey, hey, guys.
I didn t mean to start a brand name slap fight.
It was just a rant because this one guy 20 minutes before the post.

It could a been a Gold Wing with pipes and Mozart on the speakers

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Oh, the South Park clip is hilarious! And what makes it so funny is that it's true.

I've often thought that if they could get a bike exhaust that, rather than rumble obnoxiously loud, could instead repeat "look at me", "look at me", "look at me" over and over it'd be a best seller.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6723 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post