SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm gonna put loud pipes on my Harley, and a powerful music sound system
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm gonna put loud pipes on my Harley, and a powerful music sound system Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Amazingly, only Harleys need loud pipes for "safety" reasons...

And, to hell w. the damned loud pipes. Causing hearing damage to pedestrians and convertible drivers, out of a need for attention, is BS.

Posts: 5734 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
When I left the dealership on my new Goldwing last Fall the damn radio was on. I couldn't figure out how to turn it off while riding but saw a "-" button which I repeatedly pressed that lowered the volume to inaudible. Once home I got out the 300+ page manual, thumbed through to the Audio section, then to instructions how to turn it on and more importantly off! That initial ride was probably the only time that radio will ever be on.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7095 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the color changing neon lights!!!!!!

The Harley's need loud pipes for safety reasons, because most of their owners are too hold to see where they're going!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
You’d think you’d spend the money to fix it to where it will idle on its own. It seems each time pipes are put on a bike it won’t idle.

Well, why else would they have to generate 4,000 RPM from a stop or constantly rev the motor at a stop light….

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
Harley is just a motorcycle. Riders get exhausts for the most part because it looks better and it sounds better. Maybe, when combined with other parts it can generate some minimal performance gains. Harley sure as hell isn’t the only loud and obnoxious exhaust out there.

The stereo thing I don’t really get. I also don’t get all the BMW GS riders with the matching adventure gear and metal hard cases when I run into them at the coffee shop on Sunday. To each their own.

Harley hate is something I see as an internet phenomenon. When riders get together for the most part people just want to hang out and talk about motorcycles. Regardless of brand.

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Loud doesn't have to be obnoxious. The rice burners with their loud insect buzzes unnerve me a lot, but the deep rumble of a Harley does not. Of course, some dorks with loud pipes are AHs, but it's not a requirement to be.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can tolerate loud pipes on a Harley but Ground Pounders are way beyond the noise limit.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Amazingly, only Harleys need loud pipes for "safety" reasons...

That's because the squibs on metric bikes install them to be annoying.... Razz

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCourage:

Harley hate is something I see as an internet phenomenon. When riders get together for the most part people just want to hang out and talk about motorcycles. Regardless of brand.

To be far, everyone hates asshats, who demand attention - rice burner with a fart tip, Harley, etc.

Harleys are unique, in that it’s the only brand of vehicle I’ve encountered where the fans deliberately, and regularly, block up roads.

Harley‘s real issue is an association with degeneracy - not sure how much Harley has sought out that affiliation, but they do not seem to combat it.

Posts: 5734 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Most of the asshat riders I've run into are on rice, metric, crotch rockets, basically sport bikes, 4 wheel ATV's , and dirt bikes. These are the ones that take over roads, intersections, shut down traffic and stunt ride, if you get caught in your car in the middle they harass that driver and they generally ignore law enforcement.

Theres always been a group willing to do that stuff, be it a car, bike, or standing in the road blocking traffic to save the spotted gay owls....

Note in the video, not a single heavy bike....

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Cruisers are cool. Sportbikes and dualsports and monkeybikes are cool.

Its the "I'm too cool for school" obnoxious noisemakers that ... aren't.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Its the "I'm too cool for school" obnoxious noisemakers that ... aren't.

Agree, and that goes for any model of motorcycle...

posted Hide Post
Loud Bike makes up for their shortcomings somewhere else - usually between their legs or between their ears.

Posts: 266 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Following up on HRK’s post- my office is in Daytona- there will be music blasting from motorcycles that will interupt conversations IN the building.

The building is full on concrete built…

As someone said there has to be hearing damage happening, or maybe the lobotomy takes the pain away.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Following up on HRK’s post- my office is in Daytona- there will be music blasting from motorcycles that will interupt conversations IN the building.

Yep that craze has been going on for a few years as the custom scene hit the current "bagger" trend, at some point it will flip and we'll have minimalist and custom choppers again...

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
^^^^^ Loud doesn't have to be obnoxious. The rice burners with their loud insect buzzes unnerve me a lot, but the deep rumble of a Harley does not. Of course, some dorks with loud pipes are AHs, but it's not a requirement to be.

flashguy

My dog agrees with you. She barks at the bumblebee in a beer can exhausts but doesn't even take notice of the Harleys.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy

My dog agrees with you. She barks at the bumblebee in a beer can exhausts but doesn't even take notice of the Harleys.
Your dog is smarter than some people.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCourage:
I also don’t get all the BMW GS riders with the matching adventure gear and metal hard cases when I run into them at the coffee shop on Sunday. To each their own.

I'll respond to this. Just like people who like to tow trailers or drive RVs, there are people who do NOT ride HD products who like to travel. Just as some have their "uniforms" for HD, some like to have protective suits. The hard cases are good for carrying possessions on the trip without having to remove them at each stop.

How do I know this? I started riding just over 3 years ago - have a BMW R1200GS with both the top and side cases as well as safety bars with additional lighting. I also wear full protective gear when doing any distance. I have some lighter gear that can be worn on local trips.

There are many lifestyles out there.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to enjoy listening when riding my Harley Trike, so I got a helmet with built in speakers. Problem solved, and a lot cheaper than a big sound system with amps.

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post