SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ATF proposing to ban/restrict pistol “braces.” Very short comment period: Please get involved.
Page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 39
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ATF proposing to ban/restrict pistol “braces.” Very short comment period: Please get involved. Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Can the House defund the ATF? That would be interesting.

Not on its own. This would also require passage by the Senate and being signed by the President, just like a bill abolishing the ATF.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://good.house.gov/media/p...ough-our-laws-pistol

Something new besides what Gaetz has going.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
https://good.house.gov/media/p...ough-our-laws-pistol

Something new besides what Gaetz has going.

Not new. That bill was introduced in June 2021. (Note the date on that press release.)

It has been languishing in committee/subcommittee limbo for over 1.5 years:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/...ress/house-bill/3823

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Well, at least it's moving forward then. That's not a bad thing... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8867 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
^^^I edited my previous post w/ some add'l info, but just to add, in the event of your death, individually owned NFA items, just like everything else, would become part of your Estate, distributed per the expressed terms of your Will, and would be subject to Probate, plus the Form 5 Transfer. A Trust avoids all of that! Wink

Thank you for the reply and additional info.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I hope statements like this are brought up in the suit. I guess ATF can change it's mind but it can't change the law.

NPR of course Roll Eyes
https://www.npr.org/2019/08/08...-dayton-shooters-gun

In general, the ATF says, "an AR pistol is not a short-barreled 'rifle' under the statutory definition in the National Firearms Act ... because it does not have a shoulder stock, and is not designed and intended to be fired from the shoulder."

In a statement sent to NPR, the ATF said such a gun is commonly defined as a pistol "because it is made with a pistol grip and designed to be gripped and fired when held in one hand."

Posts: 3509 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by DaveL:
One thing that needs to be cleared up here - the BATF is not proposing to ban or restrict pistol braces. The thread title incorrectly says that and it's leading to some confusion here.

You may notice that this thread and its title were created over two years ago (December 2020), at which time nobody knew exactly what the ATF's final proposal was going to be, other than that they were considering implementing some flavor of ban or restriction.

I did notice, and I'm not faulting the OP or the forum policy against multiple threads on the same topic. I'm just making sure people weighing in on the current issue aren't confused by the thread title, because some seem to be.

Posts: 994 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Well, 'technically' they're not banning Pistol Braces, they're basically banning Pistols WITH Braces by declaring them as SBR's, except for 'some' rare exceptions. Sure, you can keep your Pistol Brace, but you'll be using it on an SBR! Wink

Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8867 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaveL:
I did notice, and I'm not faulting the OP or the forum policy against multiple threads on the same topic. I'm just making sure people weighing in on the current issue aren't confused by the thread title, because some seem to be.

Man, I swear, folks nitpicking on word choices it's ridiculous. But, let's play your game. They are fucking making up new rules as they please, ruling the brace on an AR being NFA item requiring registration. If that's not restricting the brace, then what is it they're doing? Roll Eyes No one on here is confused by what the FATF is doing.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^Well, at least it's moving forward then. That's not a bad thing... Wink

I think that any bills not passed during a Congress expire. Since this is a new Congress, a bill from 2021 would have to be refiled as a new bill under the current Congress. Unless that happens, the 2021 bill is dead and there is nothing to move forward. At least that’s how I understand it.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Whatever... Roll Eyes

Live Free or Die!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Can the House defund the ATF? That would be interesting.

Not on its own. This would also require passage by the Senate and being signed by the President, just like a bill abolishing the ATF.

I’d rather the NFA go away than the ATF. There’s still all that evil tobaccy and alkyhol around Razz

Posts: 767 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
So are they going to send a letter to every single person who has ever bought an AR pistol to inform them that their $$$ purchase is now illegal?
How do they expect people to just know this shit? Not many follow what goes on with these laws.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Nope. Same as they don't mail everyone in your state a letter when a new state law is enacted, or an existing state law is modified.

The original idea was that it's incumbent upon all citizens to make themselves aware of the laws they're expected to follow, provided the laws are properly published and therefore accessible. Hence the legal concept that "ignorance of the law is no excuse".

However, laws have becomes increasingly complex and convoluted over the years, and frequently change. We've honestly reached the point where nobody is able to know 100% of the exact details of all the city/county/state/federal laws on every single matter at any given time.

Hell, I deal with the law all day long as part of my profession, and I have to look stuff up pretty often to check wording on laws that I don't frequently deal with.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
So "Mr Normal Dude" buys a cool looking AR pistol with a brace legally and as a normal person he does not follow all the silly shit the political critters do. How is it reasonable for him to be made aware of any changes to the law? After all, he did his background check and bought it legally. I would not have known without this thread. I don't watch the news or follow any political shit.
Totally unreasonable in my opinion for us to keep up with their bullshit shenanigans.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
The problem w/ the ATF is that often, the 'laws' that they expect you to follow aren't in a book or written down anywhere the law abiding public can look them up! Roll Eyes

Live Free or Die!

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The definition of a rifle is contained in the NFA statute itself. I'm wondering if the ATF can administratively modify it without a legislative change. If not, this could be a point of attack in a court challenge.

quote:
One of the criteria from the ATF's amended definition of a Rifle in 08F Pistol Brace Rule:

quote:
whether the surface area that allows the weapon to be fired from the shoulder is created by a buffer tube, receiver extension, or any other accessory, component, or other rearward attachment that is necessary for the cycle of operations

Of course the ATF never actually defines ANYTHING, but this line seems problematic for our logical definition of ANY current AR Pistol going forward.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Ignorance of the law is not a valid defense. He'd be on the hook.

quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
So "Mr Normal Dude" buys a cool looking AR pistol with a brace legally and as a normal person he does not follow all the silly shit the political critters do. How is it reasonable for him to be made aware of any changes to the law? After all, he did his background check and bought it legally. I would not have known without this thread. I don't watch the news or follow any political shit.
Totally unreasonable in my opinion for us to keep up with their bullshit shenanigans.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
The definition of a rifle is contained in the NFA statute itself. I'm wondering if the ATF can administratively modify it without a legislative change. If not, this could be a point of attack in a court challenge.

quote:
One of the criteria from the ATF's amended definition of a Rifle in 08F Pistol Brace Rule:

quote:
whether the surface area that allows the weapon to be fired from the shoulder is created by a buffer tube, receiver extension, or any other accessory, component, or other rearward attachment that is necessary for the cycle of operations

Of course the ATF never actually defines ANYTHING, but this line seems problematic for our logical definition of ANY current AR Pistol going forward.

Certainly...And how about 'Surface Area'? They made that up, and don't define it anywhere!

Live Free or Die!