SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ATF proposing to ban/restrict pistol “braces.” Very short comment period: Please get involved.
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 39
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ATF proposing to ban/restrict pistol “braces.” Very short comment period: Please get involved. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
OK if you read the rule you can determine the answers. You are registering the FIREARM with the brace, not the brace. Yes free of the normal $200 making tax and the requirement to mark it. You are free to ditch the brace once you have an SBR. Otherwise (mostly) you have an illegal SBR and 120 days after they publish the rule you are a felon.
And the normal SBR rules apply which might be an issue for some people in some States, but interstate transport takes permission from the ATF as an example.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Eat dicks

FATF

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
OK if you read the rule you can determine the answers. You are registering the FIREARM with the brace, not the brace. Yes free of the normal $200 making tax and the requirement to mark it. You are free to ditch the brace once you have an SBR. Otherwise (mostly) you have an illegal SBR and 120 days after they publish the rule you are a felon.
And the normal SBR rules apply which might be an issue for some people in some States, but interstate transport takes permission from the ATF as an example.

Where does it state that you do NOT have to Engrave the Firearm as the Maker? I have a couple of B&T 'Pistols' I'd rather NOT engrave!

ETA - I found this:
quote:
The possessor may adopt the markings on the firearm for purposes of theE-Form 1 if the firearm is marked in accordance with 27 CFR 478.92 and 479.102. If the firearm does not have the markings under 27 CFR 478.92 and 479.102, then the individual must mark the firearm as required. Proof of submission of the E-Form 1 should be maintained by all possessors.

What the hell does that mean?

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Is the form 4999 not a thing anymore?

Posts: 11167 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^ NO

Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, that's a no from me.
No pictures, no fingerprints, no stamp, nothing.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
At first blush, reading what Grumpy posted, this sure as hell looks like standard DI AR pistols would be subject to this since they require a receiver extension.

Subsection 6 oughta make IrishWind moist.

When the Sig Brace was rolled out, this board, right here, was fun to watch. Half the board was running around singing it was a free SBR. The other half, me included, saw an unregistered SBR that the ATF will go after. And her we are. Maybe if people took some happy snaps and posted them using the brace as intended, we wouldn't be here. But it wasn't until Q's Honey Badger 2.0 was rejected for sale by Trump's ATF that we saw manufactures showing the brace being used as a brace in their literature. Some of us, like me, went ahead and complied with the NFA law, even if we thought it was dumb, just to get an SBR. But some people relish the idea of going to prison for the next 20+ years. I prefer my ass be not be used as currency in Club Fed. Not that there is anything wrong with that. But there are better ways to satisfy that need for the 'down low'. One just needs to Google "Gilbert AZ gay bars" to start that journey... (again, not that there is anything wrong with that)

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Pg 269 appears to be where to start reading.

Beginning on Pg 270 are the options for Affected Persons.

Page 277 has the Free Form 1 info:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23262 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
OK so most of this is supposition at this point. Pending inevitable lawsuits and the fact that most of what I have read is incomprehendble to most of us. They seem to have gone to great lengths to try to cover as many models as possible but to me they have only confused the issue even more as to the MPX, being as it has no buffer tube and in my case no extendable stock. Mine simply folds over in a fixed length. It does not extend out to a rifle length. However I have been seriously considering a Supressor so I may just go ahead and register under the tax amnesty. Figure if I'm going on their books anyway I might as well go all the way. However I will want to put an actual stock on it. Does anyone have any inkling as what paperwork that will entail? I will Go through the online supressor shop for that part. Where do I go to start the process on the gun? Can I still use said gun while in process?

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^If the OAL (Overall Length) of the Firearm would be the same as what's indicated on the eForm 1, then it wouldn't involve ANY paperwork. Worst case, you have to notify the BATF of a "Permanent Change' to the now SBR, which is a non-issue/NO approval req'd process.

Live Free or Die!

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Genie flew outta the bottle a long time ago. Those dickheads had a chance to call it when it first happened and they didn't. Wouldn't have been right then, it's light years beyond that now.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6969 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
I totally agree that it's BS being as I bought a LEGAL gun and some liberal douches want to make me out to be a felon for just owning it. However at my age and health I figure I might as well just go for it.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Lemme get this straight...

This appears to be a free tax stamp, with no requirement for a photograph showing the pistol with brace installed (as originally floated), and no requirement to engrave the receiver?

So someone could just buy every damn rifle-style pistol they can get their grubby paws on within the next 120 days, then register them all and put stocks on all of them, for free...?

Sounds like SBRapalooza to me. I suspect AR pistols, CZ Scorpions, Dracos, and other guns are going to be flying off the shelves over the next 4 months, followed by a similar boom in stock sales whenever the ATF gets around to working through the impending massive clusterfuck of a backlog.

Or, come to think of it, why wouldn't you register a spare AR lower or two, and then just eventually buy SBR uppers to put on them later? Hell, buy a half dozen new AR lowers and register them all.

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^I like your thinking there RogueJSK. I wasn't even considering the potential 'other' AR SBR kit consideration(s).

Honestly, if you've already got a few NFA items (or even at least one), there's NO downside to FREE Tax Stamps w/ NO Engraving Requirement and adding a few more line items to the NFA Registry! The Great SBRapalooza of 2023... Wink

That said, I'm am mindful of the complete fucking by the ATF of all those living in Commie Ban States, where NFA and/or 'Assault Weapons' are NOT permitted. It's either become a felon, or pray for relief by the courts. To those of you in that circumstance, you have my sympathy.

That said, it a great time to move to a Free State! Cool

Live Free or Die!

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
The only issue I see with buying a lower and registering it is that you have to put the OAL and caliber of the firearm you are building, which you wouldn’t know at that time. You can change it, but if you had a bunch of stripped lowers without uppers lying around registered as complete firearms it seems like that could get you into trouble too.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15255 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's not hard to figure a rough OAL for a complete AR with a collapsible stock and an upper with the SBR barrel length of your choice (like the popular 10.5").

And in fact, to fully assemble an unregistered SBR in order to measure it so that you can register it would be a felony... Wink

You can also add additional barrel lengths and calibers to a registration, either at the time of registration, or at a later date. So you're not locked into one barrel/overall length and one caliber, regardless of what you registered it as.

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
with no requirement for a photograph showing the pistol with brace installed

I'm not so sure on that as they can easily put in the Eform1 a requirement for a picture. (as is true today).

posted Hide Post
quote:
You can also add additional barrel lengths and calibers to a registration

I don't think this is even possible. But in any case you can change all of it once you have it registered. The ATF in its FAQ on this says they want notice about a length change, but I don't see any basis for that in the statue.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I'm not so sure on that as they can easily put in the Eform1 a requirement for a picture. (as is true today).

The brace-specific Eform 1 is already live on the ATF eforms site. Neither the form nor the accompanying instructions for the brace amnesty registration include anything about uploading a photo of the firearm with brace.

And while I haven't read all two hundred and eleventy pages of the formal rule, I haven't seen anything in the discussion/coverage all day that mentions it being listed as a requirement in there either.

posted Hide Post
quote:
followed by a similar boom in stock sales whenever the ATF gets around to working through the impending massive clusterfuck of a backlog

I don't think you need to wait. The ATF has already said that its an illegal SBR and you have an amnesty once you have filed. And you can change from the brace to a stock. SO I would assume at that point having filed you can put it in whatever configuration you want. Am I being too aggressive on this part?