SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ATF proposing to ban/restrict pistol “braces.” Very short comment period: Please get involved.
Page 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... 39
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ATF proposing to ban/restrict pistol “braces.” Very short comment period: Please get involved. Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
VA just joined the lawsuit against the ATF. I love our AG.

Posts: 13734 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
I said it in a earlier post. Where in the hell are the NRA and the GOA in all of this? They keep giving us all this BS boilerplate speech about how it's an invasion of our rights. They're working on it. Where is the simple suit asking for an injunction.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kent j:
I said it in a earlier post. Where in the hell are the NRA and the GOA in all of this?

They're the hell in court, filing lawsuits. Wink

The NRA's suit was filed yesterday, and has already been joined by 25 states and several gun-related companies:

https://www.foxnews.com/politi...ul-pistol-brace-rule

The GOA's suit was filed yesterday too, and joined by 1 state so far:

https://www.breitbart.com/2nd-...f-pistol-brace-rule/

I'd say 6 business days from 1/31 for their teams of lawyers to thoroughly read and reread the final published decision, research precedence and caselaw, make a plan of attack, reach out for support, prepare several drafts of a lawsuit with the correct wording to lay a strong foundation, and then formally file it, is pretty damn speedy!

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
VA just joined the lawsuit against the ATF. I love our AG.

Awesome.

God bless America.

Posts: 13420 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by kent j:
I said it in a earlier post. Where in the hell are the NRA and the GOA in all of this?

They're the hell in court, filing lawsuits. Wink

The NRA's suit was filed yesterday, and has already been joined by 25 states and several gun-related companies:

I'd say 6 business days since 1/31 to read the final published decision, research precedence and caselaw, make a plan of attack, reach out for support, and then formally file a lawsuit is pretty damn speedy!

The NRA is in lead on a suit!?!?!?! I think I'm having a heart attack from from the shock!

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah, the NRA partnered with 25 states and the GOA (with the GOF) are with Texas on a filing yesterday, 26 states total.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16611 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is a photo part of the process?
Didn’t realize.
I’m so bad at uploading photos. Ugh.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^The ATF is NOT demanding photos of every firearm (now SBR) one chooses to Form 1 during the amnesty period, though they don't rule out requesting such photos. I presume they'd only require photos to be submitted if the info on the Form 1 doesn't 'add up' and/or make sense.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8784 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
^^^The ATF is NOT demanding photos of every firearm (now SBR) one chooses to Form 1 during the amnesty period, though they don't rule out requesting such photos. I presume they'd only require photos to be submitted if the info on the Form 1 doesn't 'add up' and/or make sense.

Thanks.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure of what the answer above about photos is about. But 1. you have to include a digital photo of yourself as the maker (assuming filing as an individual) and 2. you have to include a photo of the markings currently on the gun (i.e. the serial number and maker marks). These are both easy and the ATF accepts a number of different formats. Your cell phone camera will get the job done. You do not have to include a photo of the gun with brace as some have suggested.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
you have to include a photo of the markings currently on the gun (i.e. the serial number and maker marks).

Where is this stated? I've not seen it and it's NOT on the Form 1. The only thing different about the Form 1 is the extra checkbox indicating it's a Tax Exempt. Specifically its states "To confirm the application qualifies for tax-free registration, ATF may require additional supporting documentation, such as photographs of the firearm to be registered." To my knowledge, they're not asking for anything extra at the time of submission. They make a similar statement re: 'may require photographs' in the documents published re: the 2021R-08F Rule, but I have not seens it stated anywhere as a requirement or part of the eForm 1 Submission.

Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8784 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You have the option on an eForm 1 to upload photos of the receiver markings. It is generally not required. This has been an option all along, and is not tied to the brace registration.

It's primarily used if you're submitting a registration for a non-standard firearm model, or one from a new, obscure, or unknown manufacturer. If you don't include photos of the markings, it can delay your application while the ATF researches just what they hell you're talking about, and the ATF examiner will sometimes come back and request that you add photos before they will approve it.

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^I presume that if the Manufacturer and Model info for the Firearm to be registered is already pre-loaded in the drop down menus for the eForm 1, there's no need to provide a photo considering it's already a known firearm configuration to the ATF, correct?

Live Free or Die!

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
That's a safe bet.

If it turns out to be needed because they want to clarify something, you'll get a request by an examiner at a later date.

Some people may be getting confused by the format of the eForm 1. If you get to that screen where you can upload photos of the markings, they're assuming that they can't proceed past that until they upload photos of the markings. That's not the case. The "Next" button is greyed out, but the "Finish" button is not. Click "Finish".

The ATF's own eForm 1 step-by-step guidance for the brace registration states that it's optional. From Page 7 of this: https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-...cewithqapdf/download

posted Hide Post
I don't know why you would consider that picture OPTIONAL. It says on the actual EForm1 "Add close-up photo of any stamping/engraving currently on serialized part." (not the documentation and an e.g. the actual form 1)
Do not see how that could be thought to be optional. Personally I add it. I can't see any possible downside and it certainly doesn't seem optional.

posted Hide Post
Since one is trying to get these approved as expeditiously as possible I give them everything they ask for. And in this case you are certifying what's actually already on the gun, so why not just give them the picture. Why wait for a potential reach out from the ATF to clarify something? I don't get even the idea.

posted Hide Post
Do not mean to ask a stupid question but I have not read anything in this related to the ”other weapon” catagory.

Does this new ruling also apply to braces on the “other weapon” category like the Mossberg Shockwave?

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
quote:
They're the hell in court, filing lawsuits.

Thanks Rogue. My googlefu wasn't strong enough to find that. Glad they finally got going. Maybe now we'll at least get an injunction.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
Do not mean to ask a stupid question but I have not read anything in this related to the ”other weapon” catagory.

Does this new ruling also apply to braces on the “other weapon” category like the Mossberg Shockwave?

Well, at least for the Mossberg Shockwave, it doesn't apply as that's a shotgun. I would not be surprised however, if other 'other weapon' configurations (such as those that evade other prohibited firearm classifications in CT, etc) were now classified classified as SBRs. Just my opinion though, so YMMV here... Wink

Live Free or Die!

SF Jake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:

Well, at least for the Mossberg Shockwave, it doesn't apply as that's a shotgun. I would not be surprised however, if other 'other weapon' configurations (such as those that evade other prohibited firearm classifications in CT, etc) were now classified classified as SBRs. Just my opinion though, so YMMV here... Wink

Connecticut is a mess right now with the “other” category….we are waiting to see how this will be handled with the State. With the new pistol brace ruling by ATF and its newly defined definitions….there is no longer that “gray” area that the “other” was borne out of….now it’s clearly either a pistol,rifle or SBR…..all of which are not legal in the State! I work in a LGS and have had customers that submitted the federal form to ATF to register SBR only to have it sent back denied stating they are not accepting them from Connecticut!

We are in a holding pattern as of now, the State is still authorizing “other” authorization numbers for sales but admit they don’t know how this will all play out yet…..clear as mud!

Posts: 3112 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post