SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fitness, weight loss, dieting
Page 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 30
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fitness, weight loss, dieting Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:

Will the loose skin eventually go away as your body adjusts to it's new weight?

Hopefully with time it will get a little better, but as we age the skin looses it’s elasticity so will always carry some “flaps” as a reminder unless I get surgery to reduce it.

Insurance will cover bariatric surgery, even though 1/3 of the folks end up regaining a lot of the weigh they lost post surgery.

Insurance won’t cover a Panniculectomy though. I think if someone looses the weight without surgery, insurance should cover the skin reduction as a reward.

Oh well, at this point in my life I’m beyond trying to impressed anyone with my looks Wink

quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Not quite that bad - belly, armpits and thighs should be the extent of it.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is tough. 52 yrs old 5'9" and just weighed in this morning at 218.4. I have been on Weight Watchers (WW) keeping pretty much on track with the points, though I do slip up a bit, I am within the weekly points.

the weight has not been coming off like you guys are experiencing. We just got back from vacation, and I purposely left off on WW, but due to all the walking we did in Nevada, I didn't gain while away.

I have been bike riding 8 miles a day in the FL sun at lunch time. Now the kids are home and don't need attention in the AM, I am doing 11 miles in the morning, burning about 680 calories according to fitbit.

I wish it were easier. I was slim until my 30's then slowly pushed up to 229 at the beginning of this year.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DJ - transition away from 100% cardio exercise and begin a strength conditioning routine. Perhaps a 60-40 split. (strength vs. cardio)

Cardio only burns calories during activity and for a very short period thereafter. Strength conditioning creates lean muscle mass that burns calories (at rest) 24/7. Trust me - cardio is good for the heart/BP but a losing prop for long term/sustainable weight loss.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
DJ, steak, ground beef, avocado, mushrooms, bell pepper, eggs, hard cheese, cottage cheese, cream cheese, bacon, butter, dark chocolate, pickles, olives, almond nut butter, magnesium and Redmond real salt. I also chew on Pür xylitol gum to keep the teeth happy. Occasionally chicken and tuna. Sardines and canned cod liver. Some seasonal fruit but not much. Some rice but no wheat or other grains. No seed oils.
Pretty simple diet. Keep the insulin low and burn your own fat.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thought I would chime back in. It will be six weeks mid week this week. Down a solid 20 lbs. I would say I am off processed sugar at around 90%. Simple carbs close to that as well.
I am sleeping a bit better. The biggest change has been increased energy. Not getting up in the am feeling tired and planning on a nap from the get go. Afternoon naps are gone unless it is a short night for some reason. Do not feel sluggish during the day or after something to eat. Nothing to eat after a 6pmish dinner. Try to push breakfast out to late morning so getting a 16+ hour fast every night. Seems to be working ok. A slip occasionally here and there. Not often though and minimal when one happens usually.

I can tell the next 10lbs will be slower to come off. But all in time. Hopefully by August 1.
No heavy exercise. Doing some light strength
training. Push ups and squats.

My goal it to make this a lifestyle change in terms of what I eat. How much I eat, etc.
I have really not struggled to a great degree with cravings. Am eating a regular dinner just a smaller portion.
So far it seems to be working.

The belly has not gotten smaller, at least not much. Neck, chest, shoulders, legs, etc. are where the weight has come off some. Doc once told me you will look like the quintessential beer drinker. Skinny with a pooch beer belly. Thinking he had it right. We'll see I guess.

Good luck guys and continue on the journey. It is worth the effort!

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I rejoined the fitness studio that facilitated my massive weight-loss years ago. I've spent years putting most of the weight back on and trying to get it off on my own and have finally succumbed to this simple fact: I can't do it my way.

I'm scared of more knee issues, but I restarted yesterday. I'll mix in a day or two of traditional lifting at work, because I still want to lift heavy, but most of my workouts will be back to the class-based circuit training where I lost 150lbs.

The thing I am looking forward to the most: the motivation to eat properly. Convenience is my kryptonite but I remember being extremely motivated to stick to healthy eating when I was regularly going to this gym... I did not want to waste my physical efforts on terrible nutrition choices.

I'm hoping to be down substantially by October... 30lbs should be no sweat, pun intended.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Good to hear you are getting back to what works for you Thumper. I wish you well.

I am primarily doing a heavily modified eating version of weight loss.
Trying to do the 16 hr daily fasting and eating two meals a day. With a light snack or lunch between in the eight hour window of eating time.
I am doing very little in the way of regular exercise. Some walking and some midsection core type exercise with a short squatting session with no weight and some pushups at this point. My main focus is to loss thirty pounds and keep it off by August one. I am twenty pounds down right now and have hit a bit of a plateau.

One of my main focus's is to keep my body from producing insulin, hence have a good blood sugar level with minimal spikes.

I am just six weeks in as of yesterday.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Fighting! (as they would say in Korean). I know words of encouragement in Korea, Japanese and Chinese but never really sure how to convey in English. Check in here on progress - keeps up mutual motivation.

I'm still struggling but I think I'm making progress. I'm still doing the interim fasting but probably eating more carbs that I should be - can't / unwilling to cut out carbs completely. Rice, noodles, potatoes, bread are staples to me. But I'm making slow progress with the fasting + walks (slow 2-5 miles) + bikes (3-5 miles but includes some inclines) + pushups (and back/shoulder to complement using the stretch bands).

I'm not too heavy but I do have a high fat percentage that I'm trying to trim (about 170lbs but 25-30% body fat?). I'm seeing some trimming around the neck and belly but have a long way to go. Definitely still pinching more than an inch in a lot of places.

Trying to increase activity but knees are a problem for me too.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Here is my recap for the month of June:

June 1st -July 1st

Weight 298.1 lbs to 278.8 lbs = 19.3 lb loss, total loss of 65.2 pounds since last week of March

Body Fat 43.8% to 42.4%

Lean mass 168 lbs to 160.6 lbs

Average daily calorie intake 1247/day - high of 1713, low of 867

Average daily “active” calories burned 1623 - high of 2192, low of 656

14 outdoor walking days, total of 37.65 miles. Avg 1.26/day, 2.69/walk range of 1.21-5.01 miles per walk.

26 Peloton days, 279.55 miles. Avg 9.32/day, 10.75/ride, range of 4.29-16.7 miles per ride.

Pounds are starting to come off slower, but loss as a percentage of weight is staying in the 1.5-1.8% range each week. Hoping to get my BMI below 40 by the end of July, that will require a minimum loss of 17lbs to hit that goal, or about 3.5-4 lbs a week.

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Great job boss. Some real progress. Bet you are feeling better. I definitely have noticed I have more energy and do not feel sluggish. I used to wake up tired.

Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
My July 1st update. Down a total of 59 pounds since 2/1/21. 338 as of this morning.

My wife and I are a month into a whole foods plant based diet. Doing it for better health which includes weight loss. A long ways to go but I'm going to get below 200 pounds within the next year.

You're all doing great, keep it up.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
LBTRS, Congrats on the weight loss. Achieving your goal of 200lbs in a year will be an accomplishment of epic proportions from where you started.
I look forward to the day you announce you made it. Keep it up. Smile

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Well I've been hovering for quite a while at just above 200. My goal has been to get under 200 consistently. Meaning whenever I weigh myself, day/night/after weekend of parties, I want to always be under 200. I've been on keto and intermittent fasting. I do eat a snack at lunch and I've been prone to a bit more snacking before dinner. But it's usually keto friendly.

The only things keeping me from going from overweight to standard is popcorn snacks when I watch movies at night and booze on the weekends. I can't quit the popcorn. Damn I love it and I know it's not keto. The booze, well sorry but I like to party a bit with friends. It does hit me way faster now so I drink less and stick to vodka/soda or some seltzer cans.

Anyhow my metabolic age is now in line with my real age so I'm pretty happy. Bought some new clothes yesterday and XL Polo shirts are now a bit too big. I'm in a size large. Pretty exciting.

I've been under my goal for a few days now.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
Congrats Frayedends. It is depressing every time I look at my scales app and it says my metabolic age is 60 and I'm only 53. Frown

Seeing you reach your goal is motivation to keep pushing towards mine.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LBTRS,

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Great job boss. Some real progress. Bet you are feeling better. I definitely have noticed I have more energy and do not feel sluggish. I used to wake up tired.

Definitely feeling better with more energy. It’s funny the things that come up that make you think about the progress.

I had to buy a bag of cat litter a little while ago, as I was toting it upstairs I was thinking ”Damn, this is heavy…” I looked at the bag and it was 26 lbs. at the time, I had lost 60 lbs and realized just a few short months ago, I was carrying more than TWICE that weight on my body at all times, through everything I did.

quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Well I've been hovering for quite a while at just above 200. My goal has been to get under 200 consistently. Meaning whenever I weigh myself, day/night/after weekend of parties, I want to always be under 200.

The only things keeping me from going from overweight to standard is popcorn snacks when I watch movies at night and booze on the weekends. I can't quit the popcorn. Damn I love it and I know it's not keto. The booze, well sorry but I like to party a bit with friends. It does hit me way faster now so I drink less and stick to vodka/soda or some seltzer cans.

Anyhow my metabolic age is now in line with my real age so I'm pretty happy. Bought some new clothes yesterday and XL Polo shirts are now a bit too big. I'm in a size large. Pretty exciting.

I've been under my goal for a few days now.

I have a similar goal but it is 190, ALWAYS be under 190 and the minute I hit 190 do something about it. Never again let it get so out of control.

If popcorn is your weakness, you might want to try “Skinny Pop”. It isn’t bad, salty enough to satisfy my crave and a serving of 3 cups is only 150 calories and 12 net carbs. Lucky for me I am not a big drinker so no need to curb that for me. I can still have the occasional drink as has been my norm for years without it really being an issue.

quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
Congrats Frayedends. It is depressing every time I look at my scales app and it says my metabolic age is 60 and I'm only 53. Frown

Seeing you reach your goal is motivation to keep pushing towards mine.

My smart scale and app has that “metabolic age” as well. I am 58, halfway to 59 and it is calling me out at 55 so I do feel good about that. If I can get it to go down from here, all the better.

Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Just a mid-month shout out to keep this thread alive.

For those fighting the battle, stick with it and enjoy the rewards. I am noticing more energy, a drive to do more, recovering faster after my workouts, and am on a 30 day streak using the Peloton and a 27 day streak taking outdoor walks.

My iPhone and Apple watch are a big help in tracking exercise, the “Lose it” app is great for tracking calories and meals, my Wyze smart scale gives me data to show progress and my spreadsheet tracks all the numbers to keep me focused and motivated.

Met a neighbor on one of my walks and we now walk every morning together. Have many same interests including photography, Sig’s, and more.

I am on track to be halfway to my goal at the end of this week (77 lb loss of 154 lb goal) and should hit the 100 lb loss milestone in about 6 weeks.

Will check back in beginning of Aug with updated numbers, but would like to hear how others are doing.

posted Hide Post
I started at 200+ and started tracking daily at with a digital body scale at 181.

It has been about 13 months of tracking and I am at 175 and seemed to have plateaued.

I would like to get down to the 160 to 165 range.

I walk at least 10,000 steps a day and I am eating cleaner than I ever have.

Little carbs, high protein, little booze.

I need to keep this up.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
What a timely event to stumble upon this thread.

My name is Ian and I am a fat ass.

I am 49 years old and 5'11" tall. I have almost always been chubby or fat. As a teen I was chubby. I thinned out quite a bit in my late teens and early 20's, with my lowest weight at 167 lbs, about the only time I was ever actually skinny. Then I moved in with my girlfriend, then we got married, years later we had kids, etc. I kept putting on 6-8 lbs per year until I found myself one day in my late 30's at 283 lbs.

I had always been active; a runner, a cyclist, a weightlifter, but with my 40th birthday coming up I increased all my exercise and starting paying attention to what I ate. Over a period of less than 2 years I got down to 229lbs. While I was heavier than my earlier 20's, it was probably the best shape of my life. I was riding over 100 miles per week. I could go knock out a Tough Mudder on a Saturday morning and then take the kids to Disney for a few hours that evening, and be at my Sunday morning boot camp class at 8am.

I kept that motivation for a few years, then the weight slowly started to creep back on. Mainly because of the old adage, "You cannot out exercise a bad diet."

But this year I had gotten to the point that I am not happy with the way I feel, or look, and I decided I wanted to make a permanent change. I'll be 50 in one year, and it's time to quit messing around and get myself healthy for my wife, my kids and most importantly, myself. Today is only day 5 of my journey, but this thread has helped inspire me.

Like many of you I am following a lean meat, vegetables and fruit diet. On day two, I went on a 40+ mile road ride with a fast group. I bonked, hard. On day 3 I felt like what I imagine must be what drug addicts experience when they go through withdrawals; my mind was foggy, my muscles ached, I had no energy at all. I can recall few times in my life when I felt worse. Day 4 was better. And this morning, day 5, I went on a 23 mile ride. Not quite as fast as normal, but feeling much, much better.

Five days ago, I was at 272 lbs. My realistic goal is to get back to were I was when I was 40, 229 lbs. My unrealistic goal is to get back to where I was when we got married when I was 24 years old, 195 lbs.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the thread sig2392 and holdem!

Good to know others have had similar experiences and history. Definitely is only fixed by changing habits. Stick with it and keep us posted.

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Welcome Holdem.

Boss, you rock. I am inspired by your committment and success. Keep it up.

I have been at it for a little over 8 weeks. I started at 227. Am at 209 right now. I want to be at 205 by Aug. 1. I am treading water so to speak right now.
Trying to do my eating within a 7-8 period and fast 16-17 hours daily.

My exercise is pretty minimal and am not dropping much weight right now. My eating is what I would call pretty clean, not perfect.

Need to reassert my self a bit.

Thanks for checking in and keep it up guys.