SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fitness, weight loss, dieting
Page 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 30
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fitness, weight loss, dieting Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
My name is Wayne and I am a fat bastard…

I have fought the weight battle nearly all my life, going back to junior high. Lots of “yo-yo” and crash diets over the years, especially during my time in the Marines. Even in my prime and with lots of physical activity I was pushing the standards due to my love of food and lack of portion control.

When I got out of the Marines (1990) I was 20 lbs over their standard, 5’8” tall and just under 200lbs. I bumped up to 225 within the first year of civilian living. Over the next/past 30+ years I have gone as high as 360 and during a few times of serious, but short lived, effort have gotten back down to as low as 295 after hitting my all time high.

Due to knee problems, running is not an option for me. I have an elliptical and a bicycle and have used both off and on over the years when trying to get back into better shape. Living in the Northwest, bicycling is only an option for about 7-8 months of the year due to weather. Every time I started a new routine, I found myself slacking after 3-4 months when either my motivation dropped or change of seasons made for a convenient excuse to slip back into old habits after seeing a 20-30 lb loss and deciding I could reduce efforts. As expected, old habits came back and the weight gradually returned.

March 1st 2020, at 325 lbs, I bought a Peloton with the intention of starting a long term, serious program. April 11th 2020, my father (who was living with us) passed away at the age of 89. That along with COVID killed a lot of my motivation and after 6 weeks of regular use, the Peloton was neglected.

Being an “essential worker” I had a lot of extra hours over the past year. Sedentary desk job and averaging only 6 hours of sleep a night during the week made too easy of an “excuse” to stick to any kind of exercise program. I gradually went from 325 last year up to 345 in March of this year, or to be blunt, at least 165 lbs overweight.

Now 58 years old, and with hopes of retiring next year, I have once again decided to do something about it. While it has been on my mind for a while, I have noticed since last summer the physical toll on my body. Worsening arthritis in my knee, chronic back pains, getting winded going up stairs, not being able to go out and do the things I want to do. My weight has always been an issue, but also one I found easy to ignore. For the past 8 months or so it has become a much more concerning problem for me now that I have been forced to no longer ignore the physical toll the extra weight puts on my body.

April 2nd of this year I started a new chapter in my life with a renewed desire to do something about it and stick to it long term. I can honestly say I believe I have a much stronger desire and motivation to stick to it long term “this” time. Of course, time will tell.

I know it took me a long time to get to this state and it will take time to change. I want to see progress quickly because that motivates me, but I also know I have to make long term life changes so the progress continues and I have lasting improvement.

First thing- PORTION CONTROL!
I know how much I like to eat and I was one to pretty much never look what an actual “portion” of an item was. Well, that’s the first thing I have changed. I am now eating single portions and counting EVERY calorie. I am using the “Lose It” app on my iPhone and highly recommend it as a simple and easy way to track calories. For my current weight my basic metabolism burns about 3000 cal/day. I have restricted myself to a max intake of 1500 calories daily. I normally only eat two meals a day and have cut almost all “snacking” out. I still have a snack now and then but they are planned.

I was amazed (ashamed?) to realize that I regularly would eat 2-3 “portions” of a given food item and think nothing of it. That is NOT happening anymore. I now have a food scale and EVERYTHING is weighed out and limited to a single “portion” or less.

I am eating the same things I have always eaten, just eating less of them. That way I don’t feel like I am missing out or being restricted. One of the things I realized early on is that I am not feeling hungry with such a reduced food intake.

Second thing- Disconnect food from TV
My wife and I watch a lot of TV. We would regularly eat dinner watching TV as well as “snack” while watching shows. Focusing on the TV and snacking makes it way to easy to ignore calorie intake. Bring a bag of chips to the couch and you may “think” you aren’t eating that many, but by the end of the movie you’ve eaten hundreds of unnecessary calories without realizing it.

Third thing- EXERCISE!
I dusted off the Peloton and got reacquainted with it. Found that I got winded pretty quick, so have also started walking to burn calories and build stamina. I am using a combination of the two and if there is bad weather, using the elliptical. Started with 10 minute Peloton rides and 1 mile walks, am now taking 30 minute rides and 3 mile walks. I can feel my stamina improving and I am seeing my average pace improving.

Nothing is magic, losing weight is simply burning more calories than taking in. My daily goal is to burn 1000 “active” calories. If my body burns 3000 calories by just existing, and I burn another 1000 calories doing things, that is 4000 calories a day. If I limit myself to 1500 calorie diet, that is a daily deficit of 2500 calories/day. One pound is roughly 3500 calories, so my current routine is resulting in a 4-5 lb/week weight loss.

I now look at food very differently. A candy bar is not just 350 calories, a candy bar is a 2 mile walk. So choosing to eat one means I need to ALSO choose to walk an EXTRA 2 miles to “pay” for it. If I am not willing to pay the price, I do without.

Current Progress
I am a couple days shy of 7 weeks into my new routine. I am finding I have a higher energy level, less knee and back pain, and my stamina/endurance/performance is increasing. Seeing marked progress is keeping me motivated with continued desire to stick to my new routine.

Friday is my weekly weigh-in and my “off day” where I do light activity or a single work out. Sat-Thu I do 2-3 workouts a day most days. These are a combination of walking and Peloton bike. I am also doing dumbbell exercises to improve my arms.

Starting weight was 341.5 lbs and as of this morning I am 308, down almost 34 lbs or nearly 10% of my starting weight. That is averaging almost 5 lbs loss a week. I know as my weight continues to go down the weekly losses will be less. I am hoping to keep it in the 4-5 lb/week range until I am under 250 and then my goal will be 3-4 lbs a week until I get below 200. Once I break 200, the goal is 2-3 lb/week to my target of 185 which I am hoping to be early January. That will be a loss of 160 pounds, or a 47% reduction from my starting weight.

I am a data geek. I like seeing progress and use my iPhone, Apple Watch, Lose It app, and a couple of spreadsheets to track/plan my progress. I find that seeing progress keeps my motivation up. I really believe this time IS going to be different in part because this time I FEEL different about it than I have in the past.

My wife has wanted me to do bariatric surgery, but I have seen too many coworkers do that and lose a lot of weight, then go back to old habits and regain the weight. I figure the only way for real success is to change the habits. I can’t fathom being physically restricted to small food portions. I want the restriction to be voluntary to allow the opportunity to enjoy a nice steak or treat on a special occasion.

Good or bad, I will check in on this thread from time to time and post updates. It is good to know there are others fighting the same battle.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 911Boss,

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Congrats 911Boss and hang in there. It gets easier as you see more weight melt off, you'll get to where you realize one candy bar might not hurt but you won't want it to disrupt your progress. I have to keep myself in check because I'm a food junkie and it took me a lot of cycles before I finally decided I wanted to be fit and healthy. I once read that nothing tastes as good as looking good feels. That's true but even more, nothing tastes as good as feeling good feels.

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Good luck Boss. You are doing great.

I am not a techno geek type. But I will check out t hat lose it app. Sounds easy and simple.

Keep it up brother.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Keep it up 911Boss!

Reached my goal of 260 a couple weeks ago. Taking a break from counting calories for a couple weeks then I'll start towards my new goal of 240.

Posts: 11158 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Paying for it" really makes sense. I hope to mirror your success. Looking forward to more updates.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:

Good or bad, I will check in on this thread from time to time and post updates. It is good to know there are others fighting the same battle.

For me, I've gone to fasting 5 days a week (or more) not easting for 16 hours. Basically one meal a day. Which has made me more more aware that I need to be careful not eat like total crap for that one meal. And I walk. At first just for a regular amount of time, and now at least 10,000 steps a day (the iPhone really helps with this). My dad died grossly overweight at 54. I'm 52. I'm not letting weight or lack of exercise do that to me. ANd I hope not you too!

Good luck!!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1951 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the last 3 months, I've dropped 30 pounds.

Portion control and exercise.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I have went from 335 8 years ago to just under 250 (40 more to go). My journey has been long in the extreme but I am not doing the weight yo-yo. The importance of Keeping the shed pounds off cannot be overstated.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats 911 !

Not sure what restrictions you may have, if any, but introducing strength conditioning to your routine should/could have a significant impact on your results.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Down six lbs after a week. Cutting out snacks and eating about half of what I usually would consume. Limiting carbs that I am keenly aware of. Not trying to be perfect. Just a lot better. If I slip, just move on from there.

I know the first lbs to come off are the easiest. But it is a start. I want to drop 15 lbs by mid June at the latest. My goal will be the second 15 by the 4th of July. Getting there would be a pretty monumental point for me.

Hope the rest of the crew are doing well.

Have a great day guys and gals.

Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I've decided to turn my not feeling well the last three months (due to COVID vaccine) into a positive by embracing the weight loss.

I've dropped 50 pounds since February 4, 2021 and decided to aid it with exercise and a better diet. I figured if I'm not feeling well without an appetite I might as well get in shape and lose some of the many pounds I need to lose. Down from 397lbs on 2/4/21 to 346lbs as of yesterday.

I've cleaned up my diet (whole foods) and added rowing and walking to burn calories. My goal is 195lbs so a long ways to go.

Wish you all luck, lets get healthy together.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Great job LBTRS. As they say, it's a marathon not a sprint

Posts: 3448 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Good job LBTRS, sucks that you are having side effects, but sounds like your making lemonade.

I am seven and a half weeks in now and have lost 38 pounds. I am down a pants size and a shirt size. Just 3 pounds to go to break under the 300 mark, last time I was under 300 was five years ago so it is a bit of a milestone. The next big one will be getting under 250, hopefully sometime in July.

I am Type 2 diabetic and my blood sugar readings have greatly improved as well. I used to run 160-180 in the mornings and as high as 230-240 during the day.

I now run 90-125 in the mornings and max out about 135 during the day. Due for an A1C check in a month and am hoping to go from my last reading of 8.8 to low 7’s. I’ve been on Metformin for years, when my A1C peaked at 9.8 in 2019 the doc put me on glimepiride as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 911Boss,

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Great job Boss. Keep it up. You too LBTRS.

Haha, I am just a week in. Lost 8 lbs. So not a big deal, but a start. The first 15lbs is my first milestone. Hopefully in about 10 days. I should start to notice it by then. I am shooting to loose 30 lbs. My goal is to get there by mid July. Then try and drop another ten lbs by Labor day.

It is not easy but lets keep at it.

Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
Great job guys, let's keep each other motivated and making progress.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Had some time to kill today so did some web research on “intermittent fasting”.

I think I will give it a try for the next few weeks. Theory is it triggers the body to burn fat and reduces insulin resistance. Both are things that would be good for me.

Also studies suggest it reduces loss of muscle mass while dieting for weight loss.

Will be trying to cut carbs to 30% or less of total calorie intake and a goal of 30-40% of calories from fat and 30-40% from protein.

Lots of tuna, chicken, beef, cheese, etc in my future.

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
intermittent fasting
IF is good, and coupling it with TRE (time-restricted eating) completes the double header and emphasizes it's not only what you eat, but when.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
intermittent fasting
IF is good, and coupling it with TRE (time-restricted eating) completes the double header and emphasizes it's not only what you eat, but when.

Yes, will be trying to stick to a 6/18 schedule. Eating window of 6 hours a day followed by 18 hours fasting. Plan is for two meals during the window. Calorie goal is to average under 1500/day.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
intermittent fasting

Serious question...whats the difference?

The produce the same result don't they?

Fasting for 18 hours vs eating in a 6 hour period is the same thing? Or am I misunderstanding the concept?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
intermittent fasting

Serious question...whats the difference?

The produce the same result don't they?

Fasting for 18 hours vs eating in a 6 hour period is the same thing? Or am I misunderstanding the concept?

While I am definite IF newbie, my understanding is there a few different types of IF.

-The “eating window” of 4-8 hours daily followed by 16-20 hours of fasting.
-The “5/2” schedule of eating “normally” 5 days a week and fasting two days a week. Eat/Fast/Eat/Eat/Fast/Eat/Eat

And a few other variations of eating/fasting periods.