SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fitness, weight loss, dieting
Page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 30
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fitness, weight loss, dieting Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
You have to let yourself still have an occasional treat, but for me it's the planned serving (or 1/2 serving) of cookies, chips, whatever. For me it was important to make sure it was my choice to eat them and not giving into the desire to eat them at unplanned times, like I used to do.

Other things that have helped in times of hunger was making the choice to eat something healthy even if it was over my calorie goal instead of eating a bunch of something I shouldn't eat - a protein bar, cheese sticks, etc. For me the Luna Salted Chocolate Carmel protein bars have been great for satisfying the sweet tooth in me but are only 180 calories.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
What is Metabolic Syndrome Anyway?

And the thing is we knew it. We knew it fifty years ago. We knew it was a problem but we were driven off course through some of the things that Gary [Taubes] talked earlier and because the Sugar Research Foundation actually made us go off course on purpose. Because they sponsored a whole program within the Sugar Research Foundation to basically obfuscate the truth. Started in 1965 with a literature review published by the New England Journal by Fred Stare, the head of nutrition at Harvard School of Public Health and his assistant Mark Hegsted who became the head of the USDA which singled out fat and cholesterol as the dietary cause or coronary disease and downplayed the evidence that sucrose was also a risk factor. The SRF said the reviews objective contributed articles for inclusion and received drafts and the SRF's funding and role were not disclosed. It's all been a big fraud. The whole thing. The last 50 years of nutrition information in America is a big fraud. All of it. And that's why diabetes has continued to increase not just in prevalence but in incidence. Because we actually put the Bunsen burner underneath it to make it boil over. Because we were lied to. Now you guys know that. The problem is we got to get everyone else to understand it too. So is sugar public enemy number one? Trans fats used to be. But now they're gone. So now this is public enemy number one because we could do something about this. And you wouldn't have to go low carb. You just have to go low sugar. It's called real food.

- Dr. Robert Lustig

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
It's been a while, thought I would give this a bump.

Since about the middle of December I've been doing either 40 minutes on the Peloton or the Treadmill (watching back2back epps of Schitt's Creek on the treadmill). I do 5-6 days per week, typically take Sundays off.

Elevation is set at 3
Walking speed has gone from 1.5 to 2.5 today.
Max heart rate went from 145 at the beginning to 132 today.

5 minute post workout HR has gone from 119 down to 101 today
Average everyday resting HR has gone from about 90 down to 78 as of yesterday.

I've not weight myself since Jan 1 because....the scale hates me. But the physical improvements I am seeing are very motivating to me.

Foodwise I am trying to avoid processed foods as much as possible and cut the carbs where I can. (have a burger? Only eat the bottom bun)

Alcohol I've gone from 3-4 beers a day plus a cocktail or 2 at night to 1 or 2 beers a day (maybe) and an old fashioned or just a couple fingers of bourbon at night.

Water has gone from the water in my coffee and beer....to about 32 oz per day. I know I need to drink more water....but progress not perfection.

I've ordered a set up adjustable dumbbells that are scheduled to be delivered in April. In the meantime I'm making do with what I have available to me at the house to be creative with. Bags of water softener salt, a case of bottle water, curling 5 gal pails of sand.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
After today's workout my 5 minute recovery HR was under 100 (99) for the first time in years and years.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ronin, good to hear your fitness routine is progressing with solid results.

I have spent the past 8 months trying to piecemeal together a home gym set up. I have a gym membership, but the C19 protocols and occasional closures due to outbreaks make the home version much more appealing.

In April (all gyms were closed) I was using an ice pick as a barbell and 40lb bags of rock salt as plates. I used my wheelbarrow for leg and shoulder workouts. Improvise and overcome.

Best of luck in 2021.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Wondered where this thread went.

I've been doing IF on a 16/8 Monday through Friday, and I've indulged on more than a few Friday nights. Weekends are mine guilt free. If I want to have a few beers and pizza for dinner after a big omelette for breakfast I will.

I started in August at 206.0, yesterday I was 176.2. It has been very easy to maintain the diet. I am free to eat from when I awaken to 1330hrs. Green tea after that assuages the occasional hunger pang.

My work is sedentary, classroom environment, and I don't follow an exercise program, however I am active. I don't police my calories; I eat well and normal portions. The IF program, for me, has been easy to maintain. I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
On the 6th I started limiting my caloric intake to 2,000 calories. I've lost 6 pounds so far, some of which is probably water.

I'm only drinking water. I wear a Fitbit and track everything I eat. I've got a long way to go as I want to eventually get down to 225. I've set my current goal at 260. I have 16 more lbs to lose to get there.

It's been easier than I thought it would be. I can eat anything I want as long as I can figure out how many calories I'm taking in and I don't go over 2,000.

Posts: 11166 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
I started eating clean and cutting calories on Nov 15th. Trying to get in 3-4 days a week lifting. As of this morning I've lost 29lbs. Not bad for slightly less than two months.

I use my fitness pal to help track calories. I'm currently aiming for 40/40/20 percentage split of protein/fat/carbs in calories. Don't always make those but I at least try to get close.

I only drink water(with non calorie flavoring at times) and black coffee. No added sugar in anything. I allow myself the occasional treat, I ate almost like usual at Thanksgiving and Christmas, but most of the time I really haven't craved a lot of the junk I used to eat.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Finally got back on it after Christmas. Couple guys from church and I are reporting daily weights and have to "confess" when we go off track, which gets you a friendly ribbing. I started on the 27th of December, down about 13 lbs so far. Not earth shattering, but it's a start. Doing intermittent fasting, usually eat dinner by 6:45 and skip breakfast, eat lunch around 11:30 or 12. So get a 16 hour fast most days that way, and it's relatively painless.
Every once in a while when I don't lose for a couple days I do a 24 hour or so fast. Finishing up a 36 hour fast right now....

I also purchased a new scale, from Renpho, which has a bluetooth setup that saves your weights to your phone (through their app), along with trend charting, body fat (calculated), etc. It weighs up to 400lbs, so for a guy like me over 300, it leaves room to spare. Highly recommend it..

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HOGSTR
posted Hide Post
I stumbled onto this discussion over the weekend and have now read every post. It is timely, because I could use some advice as it relates to fitness and my current routines. I started using an elliptical machine in March of last year as a way to pass the time during the initial shutdown and get back into reasonable shape. My goals were weight loss and not wanting to pass out when climbing stairs Smile I don't want or need to look like an action figure, but would like to delay/avoid diseases in older age by staying fit now.

Fortunately the exercise time became a bit addictive and I stuck with my routine. I have kept a set schedule of 20 min stretches/crunches followed by 35 minutes of elliptical, six days a week (I take Mondays off). I learned the stretching techniques from a physical therapist after a back strain about 10 years ago, and will sometimes do them multiple times of the day for stiffness or just to burn off stress from work.

Along with this I've made deliberate diet changes to avoid large portions and sugary foods, taking in more water and fruits/veggies...the lack of sit-down restaurants and the "business" lunch since Covid has really helped as well. Since March I have lost 50+ pounds, down to 224 as of this morning. I am 6'3 in my mid forties, and this is the best I've felt since college. I have dropped two pant sizes and fit comfortably into slim fit shirts. Best of all, I have stopped BP meds completely and dramatically lowered my total cholesterol. I feel like the changes have a good chance at permanence, because I enjoy my workout so much.

However...I practically made up this routine and am concerned that I may be overdoing the physical workout. I have soreness in my thighs and lower back muscles that never really goes away, although NSAIDs help. My hip and knee joints ache off and on, and if sitting too long they really stiffen up. At my age, I may not being giving them enough rest...but I like the benefits of the workout so much, I don't want to stop. I am afraid that any decrease in exercise will start putting the pounds back on, and I don't want to give in on this. Maybe I could counteract this with diet, but I have reduced that down quite a bit and not sure where I could trim further as long as I have kids at home.

All that said, is there a "recommended" amount of exercise per day/week that will maintain the progress I've made so far? And what about the routine itself? I am unfamiliar with free weights/kettlebell type workouts that I've read about, and figure I will do it all wrong and just end up tearing the hell out of some cartilage somewhere. Maybe I just need to spend a few months with a trainer to learn new methods, but don't really want to enter a gym environment for the next several months.

Would appreciate hearing if or how I should modify my routine, as some of you seem to be very knowledgeable.

Edit to add: I was able to maintain my weight all through the holidays, which for me was quite an achievement.

Posts: 172 | Location: Ozark Highlands | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I've lost about 12 pounds since August.

Fitness is way up. I went back to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in September and might try to get back into striking next month. Wanted to get into boxing but the gym fee was too high. I have been exercising steadily in addition to training. Been biking, rucking, running and general exercise such as lifting (mostly bodyweight) stuff. Dieting hasn't been that good as I still like to eat my carbs and fried foods. But I am down to about 160 and my strength and endurance are increased.

I'll never get back to the shape I was in between 33-37 years old but this isn't bad for a 41 year old guy.

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HOGSTR

Firstly, great job! Next, yes if you are always sore then 6 days per week is over-doing it....not to mention you are doing the same thing over and over again. We can't possibly get stronger from working out. We can only get stronger by RECOVERING from working out!

Stop the NSAIDs (just my layman's advice, I'm not a Dr.), they are anti-inflammatory which is bad because inflammation is how we heal. Not only do NSAIDs interfere with recovery, there have been studies showing they weaken tendons and ligaments. I'm 46, have done a few ultramarathons and the only time I take them is at the very end of one just to take the edge off...so 1 to 2 times per year. Now, to treat acute pain from an injury, that's different and what they are made for.

My recommendation would be with your current routine to do it 3x per week, but with an easy day, medium day, and a hard day.

Then, 2 days per week strength training. Method/modality is up to you. But, it should be full body workouts (since it is only 2x per week) and true strength training not some sissy Barbie weights.

Could be as simple as a couple sets of deadlift and a couple sets of any press. Could be bodyweight only, variations of push up, pull up, squat, bridge and core. Could be Kettlebells sure, free weights, bands, isometrics...

Oh, about decreasing exercise and putting the lbs back on...diet/nutrition is waaaaaay more a factor than exercise! Your 35 mins on the elliptical is probably not more than 500 calories. That is like a piece of cheesecake or less than a big mac (never mind the fries and soda).

When I went from running 6 miles per month to up to 70 miles in a week, I didn't lose any weight. Stayed the same, I just naturally ate more to compensate. I had to specifically crack down on my diet to lose any fat on purpose and still do.

Nutrition for size, exercise for fitness (to be harder to kill!)

Edit: you need to be getting minimum 7hrs sleep, ideally 8-9. Also, drink lots of water!

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Bumping this thread. I had a thread about firing my doctor. But this thread is better for reaching my goals. Anyhow I've been doing bascially keto for the past few months. I slipped big time from Thanksgiving through New Years. But I quickly got back on track and I'm doing well. I'm intermittent fasting, usually doing lunch and dinner within 6 hours or so. Some days I skip lunch and just do one meal a day.

Anyhow I haven't taken pictures for the purposes of watching my weight loss. But here are a couple of pictures, first from August 2019 at my 50th birthday and then yesterday after the snow storm. I can see a huge difference. I'm pretty excited how this is working. My blood work and blood pressure is much improved also.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12437 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frayedends,

Nice results ! Forget the scale - a photo is worth so much more, as well as the way you feel when the lbs start dropping off.

BTW, I enjoyed your new home thread a while back - I grew up in that area and my parents retired over on Howard Road in Westminster - about 1/2 mile from the Old Mill.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Frayedends,

Nice results ! Forget the scale - a photo is worth so much more, as well as the way you feel when the lbs start dropping off.

BTW, I enjoyed your new home thread a while back - I grew up in that area and my parents retired over on Howard Road in Westminster - about 1/2 mile from the Old Mill.

Thanks. I love living here. With the exception, of course, of all the commies.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12437 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome results, keep it up!

edit: Karma, I developed an online course on the basics of weight loss/nutrition and fitness with a section on fasting. Offering it for free to any forum members who might benefit. Use coupon code: free21

https://brian-stramel.xperienc...t-foundations/order/

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Awesome results, keep it up!

edit: Karma, I developed an online course on the basics of weight loss/nutrition and fitness with a section on fasting. Offering it for free to any forum members who might benefit. Use coupon code: free21

https://brian-stramel.xperienc...t-foundations/order/

Thanks Strambo!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5908 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thought I would bump back up since it has been since Feb.

My weight has jumped back up. So I am making the effort again. Way to much sugar (carbs) in my diet. To reduce it I need to quit eating everything, doh.

Kind of feel like eggs, meat, cottage cheese, fish, salad and maybe a few almonds is about all I can eat. Lol.

Hope you guys are doing well.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of veggies and drink lots of water too. Healthy fats-avocados, nuts and olive, coconut, avocado oils.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Lots of veggies and drink lots of water too.

Depends on the veggies. Many of them are packed with carbs.

I committed to doing keto for one month. I wanted to see if it would improve my numbers any and I wanted to start getting rid of the gut. Sunday will be the month.

I've been averaging 15-20g of carbs/day, 120g protein, 150g fats, and ~2000 calories. As of a few days ago, I'm down 14 pounds and two holes on my belt. I'll be checking my labs on Monday to see what effect it has all had...if any. I expect to see an improvement (primarily in TG), but likely not much as it's only been a month.

It's been surprising easy to do this and I don't recall ever being hungry. The hard part is breaking with the habits. I've always been a grazer, nibbling all the time and usually not healthy stuff (chips, candy, cookies). When you start looking at the nutritional content (or lack thereof) of all of that crap it's remarkable.

The other hard part for me is bread and pasta. I'd give my first born for a fresh loaf of Italian bread right out of the oven.

I've noticed a few other surprising benefits of decreasing the glucose. For the past 30 years or so I've had an essential tremor. I've treated it effectively with propranolol, but now it's gone almost entirely. Keto has been used to reduce/eliminate seizures in epilepsy for decades with good efficacy so there is some known neurological benefit to burning ketones vs. glucose. The brain likes the ketones.

I've also noticed that my presbyopia has improved quite a bit. This has been studied by ophthalmologists and they surmise that higher levels of glucose can cloud your lenses and that by reducing those levels, the lenses can clear some.

It's been a pretty interesting and enlightening experiment that I'll likely continue going forward given the benefits I've noticed in just one month, although not to the levels that I'm at now. I miss my bread and pasta. Plus, it's chips and salsa season. Big Grin

If anyone is considering doing keto, go for it. It's not difficult, you're generally not hungry, and you'll see some pretty rapid results which is a good motivator. The Carb Manager app is a good aid, and I would say essential for keeping track of everything.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post