SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Democratic Supreme Court Justice Breyer Plans To Retire Before Midterms
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Democratic Supreme Court Justice Breyer Plans To Retire Before Midterms Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

If that were true, Breyer could go on TV right now and tell us all he does not intend to retire, and the reports that he is retiring are nonsense. He cannot be forced out, and if he doesn't want to go or even that this isn't his timing, he can put a stop to it.

So, I don't buy it.

It is easy to forget how powerful appointed federally appointed judges are. They CANNOT be fired, except via impeachment and trial for bad behavior. A federal judge - even the most junior district court judge - can tell the President to take a flying fuck at a rolling donut, and all the President can do is take the flying fuck.

Oh bull. Breyer is a pussy. He was bullied out. In fact, he was likely the last person to find out that he was retiring. I have no doubt in my mind. The decision was made for him, and he's capitulating to their demands.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30457 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Current rumor is that Stephen Breyer was not planning on announcing his retirement today.

That it was forced out by the Biden administration prematurely- and that he is apparently quite upset. This is being reported by Shannon Bream on Fox News right now.

If that were true, Breyer could go on TV right now and tell us all he does not intend to retire, and the reports that he is retiring are nonsense. He cannot be forced out, and if he doesn't want to go or even that this isn't his timing, he can put a stop to it.

So, I don't buy it.

It is easy to forget how powerful appointed federally appointed judges are. They CANNOT be fired, except via impeachment and trial for bad behavior. A federal judge - even the most junior district court judge - can tell the President to take a flying fuck at a rolling donut, and all the President can do is take the flying fuck.

I would normally agree. I’m just not sure the justice is that kind of man.

I believe he has to fold now, under pressure and is doing so despite his own thoughts. He’s no stalwart of steadfast and righteous virtue in my experience.

However I really don’t care. We have to put a black woman in now.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It will be next to impossible for any Democrat, including Joe Mansion, to oppose a Black female, especially one who is already a federal judge and has already been confirmed by the Senate. It's a done deal.

This really isn't big news. The ideological makeup of the court remains the same. It's actually good news for the Democrats, because the media will be spending more time talking about this, and less time talking about inflation, Ukraine and other Biden screw ups.

Posts: 1058 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Meh, replacing one lib with another is no huge loss.

Exactly. The 6-3 court remains 6-3.

The Dems are just pushing for this as a strategic move to prevent him from croaking while a Republican is in office (ala RBG), and finding themselves in an even worse position with a 7-2 court.

Posts: 32569 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would disagree with your assertion that the Court is 6-3.
It's really 3-3-3.

Roberts, in particular, sees himself as an "institutionalist" and not as a conservative. Kavanaugh and ACB haven't quite figured out yet where they will stand. So far, they are both pretty squishy.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24191 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Razz

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6221 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

It's really 3-3-3.

Accurate. But the point still stands. They want to keep their 3 liberal justices, rather than unexpectedly losing that 3rd slot to a conservative or moderate.

Posts: 32569 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

It's really 3-3-3.

Roberts, in particular, sees himself as an "institutionalist" and not as a conservative. Kavanaugh and ACB haven't quite figured out yet where they will stand. So far, they are both pretty squishy.

Pretty much, although I think someone has the goods on Roberts.

His ruling on Obamacare was tacitly unconstitutional. If it was a tax as he ruled, then the legislation must originate in the house (versus the senate where it was built by K street and Dingy Harry Reid).

I could make the case for other decisive rulings of his as well. He is the most disappointing.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
You'd think the imperative would be to have nine Supreme Court Justices that would have a stalwart allegiance to interpreting (and defending) the US Constitution, but you'd be wrong! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8977 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I watched a video of a guy and he made me laugh.

He showed video of Biden during his campaign stating it is time for a black female supreme justice.

Nominate Kamala Haris

VP Replacement Hillary Clinton

Joe Biden fails competency test that they had Trump take.

Hillary defaults to POTUS

Crazy right? Just for laughs Right?

First In Last Out

Posts: 4792 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
If that happens, you’ll get a total of 12 years for Trump. 2016-2020 and 2024-2032.

I’ll be dead before he gets out of office.
Yeah, ummm, nope... Read the 22nd amendment lately?

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 6221 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:
I watched a video of a guy and he made me laugh.

He showed video of Biden during his campaign stating it is time for a black female supreme justice.

Nominate Kamala Haris

VP Replacement Hillary Clinton

Joe Biden fails competency test that they had Trump take.

Hillary defaults to POTUS

Crazy right? Just for laughs Right?

Well, under the 25th amendment, both houses of congress have to confirm by majority the VP pick. The Senate is tied 50-50. There would be no Vice President to break the tie, correct? Interesting scenario there.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30457 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
It would be so heart warming if Breyer were to come out after Mr. Potato Head stops talking to say, "I believe the president's mental faculties have departed him. At this time i have no intention of retiring. Good day." And then he walks away.

Would be soooo satisfying to read/hear.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14044 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

So, I don't buy it.

Oh bull. Breyer is a pussy. He was bullied out. In fact, he was likely the last person to find out that he was retiring. I have no doubt in my mind. The decision was made for him, and he's capitulating to their demands.

It is fun to think you know something the rest of us don't know, isn't it?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
According to Alan Dershowitz, a personal friend of Breyer, Breyer told him earlier this year that he was planning on retiring after this session/term/"sitting". Dershowitz was on NewsMax last night and said Breyer informed the executive branch of his decision sometime in the last couple weeks.

He, Dershowitz, speculates that someone in the WH leaked the news to "press" the issue at this time. For what reason, he didn't want to speculate, but he was of the opinion that Breyer would not have been happy with the information being leaked. Breyer was planning on announcing at the end of the current session in June/July, which is a "custom" of the justices. Obviously, a June/July announcement would have been pushing up into the middle of the mid-term campaign season.

Take the above from Dershowitz as you will.

So this is ALL on the WH, you can pick the reason you're most comfortable with.

Oh, and Breyer just met with Bidet and made it official...

NRA Benefactor

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

We all know it. Some just aren't willing to admit it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Yeah, ummm, nope... Read the 22nd amendment lately?

Ha!

Not until 30 seconds ago… My dumb ass… whiskey tango foxtrot… Lol Big Grin

A friend was over yesterday and he convinced me that it was the word “consecutive” … I knew better but I let him convince me.

Thank you for the corrective head-slap. May I have another please?

~Robert A. Heinlein

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

We all know it. Some just aren't willing to admit it.

The timing tells the tale…

Tomorrow they’re going to release the inflation report

~Robert A. Heinlein

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Supreme Court Justices are acutely aware of their own power and particularly aware of their own invulnerability to elected politicians. They revel in it.

Breyer may not be a dynamo (and neither is Biden), but he knows Biden and everyone else in the Democratic machine can't touch him.

Further, the report that this is just about the timing of the release of his retirement announcement also tells the tale. He decided to retire. He told the administration so they could do their thing, but would have waited until the end of the Supremes' term in July to announce it publicly, as is usual. But some low-life leaked the announcement early. They didn't make him retire, he already decided to do that. This is just about the timing of the announcement, your fever dreams about a cabal of mysterious power brokers notwithstanding.

As I said, thinking you are smarter than the rest of us is very beguiling.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
There is nothing mysterious about it.

But it's comforting to know we have you to keep us apprised of the inner workings and deep thoughts of these supreme court justices.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)