SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Democratic Supreme Court Justice Breyer Plans To Retire Before Midterms
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Democratic Supreme Court Justice Breyer Plans To Retire Before Midterms Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Regarding Biden's promise to nominate a Black female, Martha MacCallum today opined that it is an injustice to whomever is nominated that such a promise had been made--assuming a Black female Justice is nominated and confirmed, the idea that her color and sex were the primary criteria, not her qualifications, will exist forever. I believe Martha is right.

flashguy

It is really a backhanded insult to the nominee, and does tell her that her race and gender are the most important facts about her. Nothing else matters nearly as much.

It is one of Justice Thomas' points about preferences and affirmative action. It taints every person admitted under such a program with the implication that they are not actually qualified and are a mere token. It actually perpetuates racism. And he'll be sitting there, across the table from such an appointee, thinking it every day. Just like much of the country.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmartin:
Justice picks are supposed to be Non-Political picks. Interpret the law , the end. Now days they are only Political. The Dems will come with the worst possible pick in order to get even for recent picks.

Oh, stuff and nonsense. They have always been political and it is naive to think anyone ever expected any different.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is really a backhanded insult to the nominee, and does tell her that her race and gender are the most important facts about her. Nothing else matters nearly as much.

However in todays world, I'm no longer sure that people care about that, just that they got the position, and, that because of the reasons, they more than deserve it...

Posts: 23618 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Make no mistake, Joe's selection is likely to be the most misguided, maligned and unqualified person ever nominated to the SCOTUS.

You sir have nailed it. Will this crazy shit ever stop? Peelosi says she's gonna run again. SHE must be STOPPED.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10915 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Current rumor is that Stephen Breyer was not planning on announcing his retirement today.

That it was forced out by the Biden administration prematurely- and that he is apparently quite upset. This is being reported by Shannon Bream on Fox News right now.

If true, and he had any stones, he should wait out the rest of Biden's term.

Posts: 11368 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How is it that a government official can publicly declare that their next hire will be a black woman? Or for that matter a woman? Can the executive branch just ignore all Federal employment laws?

Posts: 124 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: January 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by cmartin:
Justice picks are supposed to be Non-Political picks. Interpret the law , the end. Now days they are only Political. The Dems will come with the worst possible pick in order to get even for recent picks.

Oh, stuff and nonsense. They have always been political and it is naive to think anyone ever expected any different.

I'm naive or stupidly believe in the intentions of our founding fathers, even though I know I'm aware it goes back no less than 75 years to FDR.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20870 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No Asians or Native Americans on the court. They should never vote Democrat again. If we are going to play identity politics then lets play hardball.

Posts: 12761 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is one of Justice Thomas' points about preferences and affirmative action. It taints every person admitted under such a program with the implication that they are not actually qualified and are a mere token. It actually perpetuates racism. And he'll be sitting there, across the table from such an appointee, thinking it every day. Just like much of the country.
You know, its amazing. I've read virtually everything Clarence Thomas has written over the past 10+ years, and whether I agreed with his opinion or not, never once did his skin tone or gender ever enter the equation. Justice Thomas IMO is an absolutely amazing person, one who is worthy of our respect for his accomplishments, not because of any other attribute. Shame all of that is lost on liberals.

Hey jhe888, I thought (maybe foolishly) that there were laws on the books making it 'illegal' to hire based on color, especially for government employment. Did I miss something over the past thirty years?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Joe again shows his racism. Don’t care about her qualifications, just black, select one…preferably with an apostrophe somewhere in the name.

Posts: 5770 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Joe again shows his racism. Don’t care about her qualifications, just black, select one…preferably with an apostrophe somewhere in the name.
Apostrophe? Where did that come from?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see La’quisha, mo’neka, key’esha, La’tasha, etc. I’d like a street name, like I see on tv.

Posts: 5770 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
I see La’quisha, mo’neka, key’esha, La’tasha, etc. I like a street names like I see on tv.
You meet, read about, or watch different people from what I do.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Whoopi or Mooshelle, or the other annoying hag who got canned at CNN.

Posts: 2781 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just watch the news, they give the names.

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
You know, its amazing. I've read virtually everything Clarence Thomas has written over the past 10+ years, and whether I agreed with his opinion or not, never once did his skin tone or gender ever enter the equation. Justice Thomas IMO is an absolutely amazing person, one who is worthy of our respect for his accomplishments, not because of any other attribute. Shame all of that is lost on liberals.

Hey jhe888, I thought (maybe foolishly) that there were laws on the books making it 'illegal' to hire based on color, especially for government employment. Did I miss something over the past thirty years?

EXACTLY! How is it not a violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act to say up front that all races and genders except for one will not be nominated? Unbelievable. It should be the most qualified person, but that would just be crazy.

FJB! I can’t wait until he is out of office!

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8687 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just for spite Breyer should wait until the day after the midterms to retire. The premature announcement by the hacks in the white house is a political stunt to push him into doing it. Sort of like "doxing" someone.

Posts: 4734 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Current rumor is that Stephen Breyer was not planning on announcing his retirement today.

That it was forced out by the Biden administration prematurely- and that he is apparently quite upset. This is being reported by Shannon Bream on Fox News right now.

If that were true, Breyer could go on TV right now and tell us all he does not intend to retire, and the reports that he is retiring are nonsense. He cannot be forced out, and if he doesn't want to go or even that this isn't his timing, he can put a stop to it.

So, I don't buy it.

It is easy to forget how powerful appointed federally appointed judges are. They CANNOT be fired, except via impeachment and trial for bad behavior. A federal judge - even the most junior district court judge - can tell the President to take a flying fuck at a rolling donut, and all the President can do is take the flying fuck.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I'm still amazed that Bidet knew who Breyer is, and not that it was a brand of ice cream

Posts: 53252 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Breyers NOT Breyer, but it was started by a Breyer. Why the Plural???

Posts: 17294 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post