SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Democratic Supreme Court Justice Breyer Plans To Retire Before Midterms
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Democratic Supreme Court Justice Breyer Plans To Retire Before Midterms Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Well, 3 Republican Senators--Romney, Murkowsky, and Collins--have announced that they will vote to confirm her, and no Democrats have indicated they would oppose, so it's pretty much a done deal that Jackson will be confirmed. And they can claim it's "bipartisan". I am gravely disheartened, but not surprised.

flashguy

And if you may know; Romney voted AGAINST her for the appellate court.

So it makes you wonder, why a no-go for the appellate court where SCOTUS can over rule a bad call on her part bur, she's suddenly okay as part of SCOTUS who cannot be overruled?

Deals a turncoat makes....

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14152 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, 3 Republican Senators--Romney, Murkowsky, and Collins--have announced that they will vote to confirm her...
I expected nothing less from these America-hating turncoats. FTATHTRIO...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Well, the commie is in, no thanks to Collins, Murkowski, and Mittens.

https://www.foxnews.com/politi...ackson-supreme-court

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17159 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Spiffy. So now we have a Supreme Court Justice that can't distinguish between a man and a woman. Thank goodness for that. Roll Eyes

Posts: 11415 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
Spiffy. So now we have a Supreme Court Justice that can't distinguish between a man and a woman. Thank goodness for that. Roll Eyes
Well, I had lost all respect for the legislative and executive branches of government, why not add the judicial branch to the list. An affirmative action hire for the highest court in the land. Idiocrasy II here we come.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
So when does Breyer plan to retire? What is her title until he retires?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
And the "Squad" is working to impeach Justice Thomas. I don't think it would be likely for 2/3 of the Senate to vote to convict, but it is troubling, anyway.

flashguy
High tech lynching... Roll Eyes

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6367 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Here's Romney, at the 30 sec mark of the video, standing ovation for this rotten commie.

https://www.breitbart.com/poli...cksons-confirmation/

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17159 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Breyer steps down later this summer. Until then, Ms. Brown rides the bench.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5905 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:

I've been wondering why the Senate held hearings when there wasn't an opening.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24585 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
quote:

I think you know the answer.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29906 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
quote:

They wanted to get her confirmed before they lost the Senate in November. It was probable that the current Senate would vote to confirm, but one firmly in Republicann control probably would not. Justice Breyer's step down was going to be too close to the Election and waiting for that would have delayed hearings until afterward.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Sooo, they moved forward with the Nomination and Confirmation of a Supreme Court Justice for a vacancy/seat that does NOT exist... Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9436 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Sooo, they moved forward with the Nomination and Confirmation of a Supreme Court Justice for a vacancy/seat that does NOT exist... Roll Eyes

This was the point of my original question. What is she now? What if he decides he's feeling great and he wants to do one more year? Is she just the permanent 'on deck' justice? If that's the case once we win the Senate back can we nominate the 'in the whole' and 'deep hole' batters? Could we just set the batting order for the next century since presumably others will retire or die?

In my mind there should be a vacancy in order to fill a supreme court vacancy. Maybe that is just my ignorance of civics and our constitution. Does anyone know the precedent for this in the past? How many have been filled before there was a vacancy?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
In my mind there should be a vacancy in order to fill a supreme court vacancy. Maybe that is just my ignorance of civics and our constitution. Does anyone know the precedent for this in the past? How many have been filled before there was a vacancy?

I agree. To extend your line of thought, did they just create an additonal position, a 10th Justice?

Posts: 9730 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I think Congress would have to officially pass a law to change the number of Supreme Court Justices. I don't know how the current SCOTUS would rule if a case were filed that premature positioning of a new Justice without their being an actual vacancy was unconstitutional. As was pointed out, allowing it could have interesting consequences later.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post