SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking about switching to Mac :Update - Done!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about switching to Mac :Update - Done! Login/Join 
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Agreed, surveillance is something where I’d want a dedicated device, I’d for no other reason than to have surveillance rated drives. Too bad Synology hasn’t figured it out.

Aren't IronWolf drives rated for that kind of work?

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Also,

I may be misunderstanding your surveillance application, if so, then disregard.

As part of Apple's new OS rollout, they are upgrading their cloud service and HomeKit to supply unlimited security recording. It's priced based on how many cameras you want, but I think for $2.99 a month, you get up to five cameras. $9.99 a month, you get unlimited cameras.

Again, if I missed the boat, I apologize.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I don’t think there’d be anything wrong with using an Ironwolf or Red Plus drive for surveillance, but the purple drives are built for continuous 24/7 writing. Crappy read, but really good for constant writing.

You could use your regular NAS and just setup a volume for surveillance, even a single drive. Surveillance doesn’t really need RAID redundancy, except maybe for availability concerns, having a single drive failure bringing your surveillance offline.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post