SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking about switching to Mac :Update - Done!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about switching to Mac :Update - Done! Login/Join 
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted
I’m thinking about buying a new laptop. I honestly don’t use our desktop much at all anymore since my wife and I have gotten iPads and I finished my Masters Degree a couple years ago. Our desktop has served us well but is definitely long in the tooth at over 10 years old. It’s slowness definitely prevents us from using it more.

I plan to be doing a few more things that are word processing oriented. I’d also like to try my hands at some editing of pictures and videos of my daughter. I’m thinking of getting a new computer and this time will definitely go with a laptop if I decide to get a new computer. I don’t do gaming at all so I believe that the portability of a laptop far outweighs any benefits that a desktop would have for me.

When checking out new laptops it seems like the MacBooks aren’t priced much higher than quality laptops from Dell or other quality, business oriented units. I’m also intrigued by Apple’s new in-house M1 chipset which seems to be quite fast and efficient. I’m thinking that I’d like to start slowly ripping my DVD collection into a format that I would eventually be able to use a home theater computer for, so that we could watch our collection from any of our TVs without having to find the DVD and insert it into the player. Of course I would also use the laptop for word processing, surfing the internet and likely dabbling with making some home videos and photo collages of our daughter.

So having said all that, is there any reason to avoid a MacBook Air M1 or MacBook Pro 13” M1 over say a Dell XPS 13? The cost of similarly specked computers would be about $150 difference, so negligible in my opinion. We are also firmly in the iPhone and iPad universe as far as portable devices so it seems like the interoperability between a new laptop and our portable devices would be a plus as well. Any compelling reason to avoid a MacBook with the new M1 chipset? Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lt CHEG,

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Consider also the cost of software.

If you have a lot of Windows software that you want to keep using, you'll either have to hope they can install and run in the Mac's simulated Windows thingamabob, or get new software for the Mac.

PCs do the RIPing as well as the Macs, you just need the software. If you are looking to RIP your commercial DVDs/BDs, then you (on either platform) will need software to do that as well, and a willingness to flout the Digital Millenium Copyright Act which says decrypting the copy protection on those is a Bozo No-No.

Posts: 15023 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I converted to Mac from PC some years ago and never looked back.

Last week I picked up a new IPad Pro with the M1 chip; it screams!

It will take some getting used to, but for the most part the hot-keys and such are pretty similar.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I and through my company have owned a lot of Macs and PCs. I also own a new M1 Mac Book Pro. As you say...very much cheaper for the power.

I had some issues connecting Bluetooth devices (specifically an Anker speakerphone I use for audio on Zoom calls) but that magically resolved itself.

There is a known issue with a fairly straightforward workaround. The M1 Macbooks are known to only support 1 external monitor. I need two 32" externals when docked at home and to achieve that I needed to buy an external device to support the second monitor

https://www.amazon.com/Plugabl...hernet/dp/B07CRSH25X

It runs some stealth app that allows you to set up two eternal monitors.

Also, you prob will want some sort of USB docking station. This is the one I got and it works pretty well.

https://www.amazon.com/Kensing...625US/dp/B07VL5XLBS/

Other than that its been pretty good so far. The memory management is extremely efficient. I always get max Ram since they started making them non- RAM upgradable.

Some apps have not been upgraded to run native on the M1 chipset so (like when they switched from the PowerPC to the Intel chipset) you will need "Rosetta" to get them to run.

More info here. I have not experiences the issues they report with Adobe apps...

https://www.iphonehacks.com/20...-macbook-issues.html

Hope this helps.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:

We are also firmly in the iPhone and iPad universe as far as portable devices so it seems like the interoperability between a new laptop and our portable devices would be a plus as well.
Apple iThings and Mac computers work very well together. It should not take long to become familiar with the Mac working environment.

You might want to take a good look at the refurbished units that Apple offers on their website. They are 100% as good, both functionally and cosmetically, as the new retail stuff, they carry the same warranty from Apple, and the cost is lower. Or if you do want a new retail unit, Costco frequently has them on sale and you have the benefit of Apple's warranty with a Costco extension if you use the Costco credit card.

Apple includes quite a bit of software at no extra cost -- word processing, spreadsheet, etc. If you want a MicroSoft-compatible office suite, LibreOffice is free and does a very good job.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Costco has had some great deals on Apple products lately. I scored a new iMac 27" for $400 off about 2 weeks ago.

We have slowly moved away from PCs and into the Apple world with iPad, iPhones, Airpods, Airtags, Macbook Pro and now the new iMac that replaced an aging PC. I run my old Windows stuff with Parallels seamlessly. The cost to convert is not cheap but, for me, worth the price. Good luck with your decision. Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Consider also the cost of software…

Yes, consider the cost of software. Macs come with just about all the software you need, at no extra charge.

Complete Office suite (Numbers, Pages, Presentation) that will open, edit and save in MS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint formats as well as their native formats.

iMovie does basic video editing

For photo editing and DVD ripping there are free and reasonably priced options

While I am forced to use Windows at work, at home I have been Mac for over 10 years now and cant imagine ever going back.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
For me, one of the best things about Apple computers is FreeBSD that underlies the GUI. FreeBSD is an excellent unix-like OS that’s somewhat more stable than Linux. I nearly always have one or more Terminal windows open in every workspace. Up to six workspaces are possible, I believe.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m thinking about buying a new laptop. I honestly don’t use our desktop much at all anymore since my wife and I have gotten iPads ...

I was just having a similar conversation with my wife a couple days ago.

Think about it: With all you're able to do with a tablet, these days: Unless you need it for business: What's the point to a laptop?

I tend to buy/use laptops only when I really need a laptop. Otherwise, they're more expensive for the "same" computing power and tend to have a shorter lifespan.

quote:
... I believe that the portability of a laptop far outweighs any benefits that a desktop would have for me.

If you believe you're going to use it on the road: Yes. Otherwise: Disagree.

quote:
When checking out new laptops it seems like the MacBooks aren’t priced much higher than quality laptops from Dell or other quality, business oriented units.

Good that you're comparing apples to apples, so to say Smile. People often compare lower-end commodity PCs to Apple products and complain the latter are too expensive.

quote:
I’m also intrigued by Apple’s new in-house M1 chipset ...

It does look fascinating.

quote:
So having said all that, is there any reason to avoid a MacBook Air M1 or MacBook Pro 13” M1 over say a Dell XPS 13? The cost of similarly specked computers would be about $150 difference, so negligible in my opinion. We are also firmly in the iPhone and iPad universe as far as portable devices so it seems like the interoperability between a new laptop and our portable devices would be a plus as well. Any compelling reason to avoid a MacBook with the new M1 chipset? Thanks

Given what you've laid-out: I think a Mac would be your best bet. We only disagree on desktop/laptop.

When I finally get around to upgrading my wife's desktop it will almost certainly be a Mac of some type. We, also, are thoroughly in the Apple ecosystem. We both have iPhones and iPads. I have an Apple Watch and Air Pods. The TVs all have Apple TV streamers on them. I recently replaced our X-10 home automation with Lutron Casèta and integrated that into Apple HomeKit.

N.B.: In the interest of an honest discussion: It is well-known by anybody who's paid attention that I have a decided aversion to MS-Windows and always have. So, in case you weren't aware, now you are Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I like the imac over all the other options for screen size alone.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have iPhones, the integration between platforms is phenomenal. Put something on the phone calendar and it shows up on the calendar on your iPad and laptop. Almost seamless between machines. Once I changed over I never had any doubts but there is a relatively short learning curve.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2888 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a computer guy, while I'm fine with a PC, I had previously owned several HP & Dell laptops prior to switching to a MBP. I've had my 13" Retina for 9-years now, it starts up just as fast as when I purchased it, had zero issues with security or any updates. Software is not an issue, learning curve wasn't too hard, getting a MacBook for Dummies was my resource for the first month, after that it was smooth sailing.

Posts: 14635 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I switched over to Mac about the same time Bill Gates and company blundered into the game with Vista.

I never went back to Microsoft.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
My work was all Microsoft, when I retired and went into consulting got my first macbook pro. With wife and I having Apple phones and her Ipad we never looked back. Been on them for 9 years now.

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
As long as the software is optimized for Silicon chips, the M1 is blazing fast. Look into Handbrake for ripping. And once you’re ready to grow into it, the free version of DaVinci Resolve. Impossibility steep learning curve. I don’t think any one person can use all it has to offer, but it can do just about anything.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I am not one to go to for a fair and unbiased opinion, I left the MS world for SunOS, NeXTStep, and FreeBSD about the time MS came out with Windows 3.1. I just could no longer stand the lack of concern for end-user security and operating reliability, a situation which, I think, has not changed much since then although MS has "borrowed" much from the Unix world in the interim. For the past few years I have almost worked exclusively on Macs for personal and Linux for servers, although I will preferentially choose FreeBSD over Linux if the client does not insist otherwise. I do have to occasionally interact with Windows systems, and come away feeling used, abused, and just plain nasty afterwards.

So, Mac vs. Windows? How can there even be a debate? It's not Kenworth vs. Peterbilt, it's a limousine vs. a moped. It is just an added bonus that Apple making their own chips is allowing them to better compete on price, the true value equation was always in their favor.

As far as specific Mac model goes, I'd suggest the Mac Mini probably provides the best bang for the buck. I have one I use at a client site with 2x27" monitors, and it is every bit as capable as the 27" iMac I'm typing this on right now.

Posts: 6456 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mac vs. Windows? How can there even be a debate? It's not Kenworth vs. Peterbilt, it's a limousine vs. a moped.

LOL Roll Eyes

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really dislike windows-based anything. Mac products hold up far better. My previous mac laptop ran ten years and only failed after a taxi driver smashed it. The current one is several years old. I did replace the keyboard, but apple took care of that. I don't get a buildup of weird stuff in the system, or have to buy updates to the system, and I don't get a lot of the threats or problems that I did with Windows.

My computer is mostly to access the web, to type using Word, and to use .pdf. I don't need a partition to do any of that; it all runs from the mac just fine.

I took a few computer classes several years ago, which were set up for windows based computers. I find that some of the directions for projects in excel and other things, didn't pan out quite the same. Different controls and so forth, but mostly worked them same way.

I don't see any comparison between mac and the PC. I bought the kids PC's in school, because of cost, and because I felt it better that they learn on what everyone else was using, and upgrading to a mac product will be on them, if they choose. The mac is far more intuitive, far more robust. Mac products are qualtity; PC's are nothing but problems. I'm not a computer guy. I use my laptop a lot, though, write with it, etc. I replaced my PC's every year or two, because they seemed to last about two years. The mac is more expensive to start with, but lasts a lot longer, doesn't bog down or require "cleaning," and runs years later the same as it did new. I prefer mac.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
Two weeks ago I bought a new 24" iMac. We have had iPads and iPhones so it was a no brainer. I am loving it.

Posts: 1633 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife is all about Apple. Me not so much. Apple is first rate hardware although you can get the same quality in most business grade Win machines. If you think you want a Mac, go for it.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post