SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking about switching to Mac :Update - Done!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about switching to Mac :Update - Done! Login/Join 
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Where you find the MAC in an Engineering company is with the Directors and VPs.
Ah, so you are saying it's a clear path to career advancement? Wink

Posts: 6474 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
I am not one to go to for a fair and unbiased opinion, I left the MS world for SunOS, NeXTStep, and FreeBSD about the time MS came out with Windows 3.1. I just could no longer stand the lack of concern for end-user security and operating reliability, a situation which, I think, has not changed much since then although MS has "borrowed" much from the Unix world in the interim. For the past few years I have almost worked exclusively on Macs for personal and Linux for servers, although I will preferentially choose FreeBSD over Linux if the client does not insist otherwise. I do have to occasionally interact with Windows systems, and come away feeling used, abused, and just plain nasty afterwards.

So, Mac vs. Windows? How can there even be a debate? It's not Kenworth vs. Peterbilt, it's a limousine vs. a moped. It is just an added bonus that Apple making their own chips is allowing them to better compete on price, the true value equation was always in their favor.

As far as specific Mac model goes, I'd suggest the Mac Mini probably provides the best bang for the buck. I have one I use at a client site with 2x27" monitors, and it is every bit as capable as the 27" iMac I'm typing this on right now.

And here I was thinking all along that you were a real architect. Big Grin

To OP, I've never been a Mac user because my business tools have always been pretty PC heavy. I will say that the interconnectivity you get being in the Apple world is very nice but it is also heavily rivaled by Google's world. Gmail, Calendar, Photos, Drive, Meet, Chat, Maps... all highly connected between devices for me. Works well with outlook, too. I have a 5 year old Origin PC laptop that was probably about $2500 new and it is an amazing machine. I have basically nothing to complain about and at 5 years old still runs everything I need it to with great speed, save the newest version of Lumion (our 3D rendering software.)

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
That is why I let these threads go and try to stay out of any pissing contest.

Well, then, posting “lol, Roll Eyes” will generally provoke others, which is the very opposite of steering clear of these types of threads.

True, I said "try" - sometimes you just can't let some things go.
Was not trying to provoke but I understand how it could.
Sorry for that.

I get it. I used to join in also, mostly as an Apple defender. Nowadays, however, I just don't see the two platforms being far enough apart to materially matter enough for argument. In fact, my last computer was a used Dell Optiplex, but that was just to sit in a closet and connect to remotely, for a specific function. I use Macs now mostly because they are the better value after considering the whole TCO of the machine, IMO.

I do believe that the PC world needs an answer to the M1 chip. If the performance per watt is truly as great as it seems, PCs better get busy getting a comparable product. Laptops that go days without needing charging are a game changer, enough so that "Windows only" software may start to be ported to the more efficient and modern platform. ARM is the future, x86 the past.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
That is why I let these threads go and try to stay out of any pissing contest.

Well, then, posting “lol, Roll Eyes” will generally provoke others, which is the very opposite of steering clear of these types of threads.

True, I said "try" - sometimes you just can't let some things go.
Was not trying to provoke but I understand how it could.
Sorry for that.

I get it. I used to join in also, mostly as an Apple defender. Nowadays, however, I just don't see the two platforms being far enough apart to materially matter enough for argument. In fact, my last computer was a used Dell Optiplex, but that was just to sit in a closet and connect to remotely, for a specific function. I use Macs now mostly because they are the better value after considering the whole TCO of the machine, IMO.

I do believe that the PC world needs an answer to the M1 chip. If the performance per watt is truly as great as it seems, PCs better get busy getting a comparable product. Laptops that go days without needing charging are a game changer, enough so that "Windows only" software may start to be ported to the more efficient and modern platform. ARM is the future, x86 the past.

One thing I do not doubt in all this. Intel will fight back against M1. If not, they have already decided to kill off off chip manufacturing......and I doubt that. The race is on.........again. Bring on the late 90's early 2000's What is old in new again.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:
Bring on the late 90's early 2000's What is old in new again.

Ah, the good ol' days--when there were competing CPU architectures Smile

I used to be partial to Motorola's 68K-series CPUs.

Lessee... Processors I coded for: Intel 8080 through 80486. Zilog Z-80. Motorola 6800 through 68030. MOS Tech. 6502-series. Briefly flirted with the idea of seeing what could be done with National Semiconductor's NS32K series. (They never gained much traction.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
My nephew has the MacBook Pro with an Intel, loves it. My ex-MIL just got a 13" Air refurb w/Intel for $716 Eek but I'm not sure what Apple was doing with that batch of gold-shell March-2020 Intel-chipped laptops. Churning out product to use up older parts?

I've got her 'old' 2015 13" Air which runs/feels like new; nice upgrade from my 2011 Air. I have been on Macs for 20 years.

Currently, in the unused pile, I have a 2012 11" Air w/ new battery but wants a new keyboard, and a like-new 2011 13" Air [w/new battery] which will not upgrade past High Sierra (it was only used for 'window shopping' by a house-bound BFF). All have Intel chips. All are rock solid otherwise and I'd swap into one of them before moving to a brand-new PC platform laptop.

That said, M1 is where Apple is. Not where they are 'going'. On the Apple Refurbished page, the only place I'd buy a laptop unless I had to walk in to an Apple Store and pay retail, I've noted fewer and fewer Intel items and more M1 items. Eventually there will be -zero- Intel refurbished products.

The M1 is faster and uses less power. Heat is the enemy of laptop computers.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I was about to buy a Mac for us (mostly my wife) a couple years ago. She works from home quite a bit and the hospital said Macs are a no go. If not for that we’d have one now.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Where you find the MAC in an Engineering company is with the Directors and VPs.
Ah, so you are saying it's a clear path to career advancement? Wink

Don't know about now, but at the time it was a clear path for people who were computer illiterate or nearly so.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Seems the folks who code for PC are computer illiterate.

Every time another gaping security hole is patched up, something else breaks my rip software and the printers just sit waiting for a rollback from the IT guy at $5000 an hour lost production time.

Then we get to waste my time seeing if the next patch to the patch will bring things back up without something else being broken.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

Every time another gaping security hole is patched up, something else breaks my rip software and the printers just sit waiting for a rollback from the IT guy at $5000 an hour lost production time.

Then we get to waste my time seeing if the next patch to the patch will bring things back up without something else being broken.

Sopeaking as a retired Electronic Engineer/Programmer, about the hardest thing to do in programming is to fix/deal with code somebody else wrote, regardless of how well commented it might be.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I picked up a 16g M1 MacBook Air and I do not have enough good things to say about it. It's incredible. The battery life is amazing, and it's only ever as hot as my lap.

RE swiching from Windows: When I have users that switch or struggle with Mac, I take a few minutes and show them the three-finger swipe between full-screen apps, as well as the the multi-finger scrolling etc. It's amazing how quickly people pick up OS 10/11 when they can navigate quickly.

I'm excited to see where Apple lands with the new 14 and 16" flagship notebooks, especially if they support more than a single external monitor (natively).

If you're looking at refurb do not, I repeat, do NOT buy refurb MacBook Air if it has Intel. The stupid fan isn't even physically connected to the CPU heatsink and it gets STUPID hot. Come to think of it, I would steer clear of any Intel Apple product if you're in the market. The M1 beats most of Apples own i9 machines on performance. Easily.

I'm getting, on average, 20hrs of battery with my M1 MBA.

Also, silver is where it's at. Not space gray. Big Grin Big Grin

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9159 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So we switched from Windoze to Apple late last year (2020). I'm sold. The integration with my iPhone and the MacBook is seamless. My only suggestion is that if you need the onboard storage for a lot of files, configure the computer you like with the largest SSD drive and memory you feel comfortable with and meets your budget. The current MacBooks have the chips soldered on the board and as far as I can know, they are not upgradable. A SSD external drive is always an option, but it's just another piece of hardware to transport.
Lineman

https://winred.com/ <<--Support the cause.

Posts: 171 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: July 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
After 35 years in the PC world as IT go-to guy, i decided i hate W10 with passion and bought the spousal unit a MBP M1, an iPad and an iPhone 12 Pro.

She's happy, i'm happy!
So far, so good.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12110 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
<snip>
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<snip>

I was curious about the middle character in this amusing text-based graphic of yours:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Some time ago, a bug in one of my programs was giving me fits. I wrote a utility program, char_ID.sbl, to help me understand the bug. char_ID.sbl operates on a string of characters and reports the ASCII code of each. Here’s the output of my utility applied to your graphic:

bash{3}> sbl char_ID.sbl
Enter one or more characters:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Character #1, ?, is ASCII 194
Character #2, ?, is ASCII 175
Character #3, \, is ASCII 92
Character #4, _, is ASCII 95
Character #5, (, is ASCII 40
Character #6, ?, is ASCII 227
Character #7, ?, is ASCII 131
Character #8, ?, is ASCII 132
Character #9, ), is ASCII 41
Character #10, _, is ASCII 95
Character #11, /, is ASCII 47
Character #12, ?, is ASCII 194
Character #13, ?, is ASCII 175
bash{4}>

So the interesting character in your graphic is produced by the ASCII triplet 227, 131, 132.

All ASCII characters greater than 127 are non-printing (by themselves), AFAIK. In fact, it was one of these printing triplets that caused my bug. I hadn’t previously known of these triplets (and doublets).

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
So the interesting character in your graphic is produced by the ASCII triplet 227, 131, 132.

All ASCII characters greater than 127 are non-printing (by themselves), AFAIK. In fact, it was one of these printing triplets that caused my bug. I hadn’t previously known of these triplets (and doublets).

One of them is Unicode, others are UTF-16 (IIRC?), and others are UTF-8 (of which ASCII is a subset).

IIRC, the kind of angled-smiley-face thing is a single Japanese (Katakana?) character. What you're calling chars 1 & 2, and 12 & 13, I think are UTF-16?. 3, 4, and 5, as well as 9, 10, and 11 are all UTF-8/ASCII.

It was actually quite tricky to figure out and, TBH, I don't entirely recall how I did it. I have it coded into a keyboard macro key.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:

Also, silver is where it's at. Not space gray.
Why? I'm asking because it looks as if I will be buying one soon. Why silver vs. space gray?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:

Also, silver is where it's at. Not space gray.
Why? I'm asking because it looks as if I will be buying one soon. Why silver vs. space gray?

Strictly personal preference IMO.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

Yeah, we're all computer illiterate as hell. Why don't you and the fellow geniuses that you work for switch to the iOS stack? Admittedly it's not much of a stack but seems like it would save you guys 5K / hour on every update.

Posts: 7553 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
LtCheg, if you can wait until later in the year, Apple will be coming out with even faster MacAir and MacBook Pro notebooks.
I'm typing this on my wife's M1 MacBook Air; I have an M1 MacMini on my desk.
The M1 Air is not only extremely fast, but will run all day on one battery charge, and has no fan so is quiet (and still cool).
I will probably be buying one of the new MacBook Pros when they come out.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
I think I’m definitely going to go with a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro, and definitely one with the M1 chip. You guys are killing me though with the news of new models coming lol. I really wanted to get something this summer, at least before October. However, I’m a stubborn guy, and I hate the idea of buying an old model 2 months before the latest in greatest.

Seriously though, thanks to all for the input. I think, if for no other reason, my buy-in to the Apple ecosystem makes it most reasonable for me to head over to Mac. I also forgot that I have a family member close by that’s a teacher who can get me a computer at the educator discount. So maybe knowing I can get a slightly better deal on a computer will ease the sting a bit if I buy sooner than later and miss the latest and greatest. Thanks again all for the input.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post