SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Guitars: I'm going back to electric after a 30 year hiatus
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guitars: I'm going back to electric after a 30 year hiatus Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
Lyle Caldwell has a couple videos on his YouTube channel (Psionic Audio) that you should check out concerning amps that he recommends. I have two of them on his list.

-links-

The Fender Blues series is better sounding than the Hot Rods. I find the Hot Rod Deluxe to be rather insipid. The Blues are chimey and sweet. The problem with the Fender amps is the cheap filter caps. That's the most common repair.

Stop by someday and play through one of the Marshalls or the Vox AC30. My Fender Bassman is currently on the bench and I won't get to fixing it for a couple months.

Thanks Mark! This is great info. I've been tubing around for several days and have realized I'm going to have to keep a notebook to get my brain oriented enough to make a purchase decision in the next few weeks. I'm so excited. A new (old) journey!

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
...The offer you extended me on helping guide me to a used Seamaster? Consider that offer extended to you with a used guitar. If I don't know enough about whichever particular one you might be interested in, I have access to my friends at Lollar and all their contacts, plus my old boss who used to own four stores in Nashville and all his contacts. Short of getting my hands on something, I can provide you as qualified an opinion as you're liable to get. ...

Thank you!

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TannerBoyl:
.. The downside is that many of the older Gretsch guitars have binding rot, which is an expensive fix...

Good info. I will almost certainly be going new. I know [that I don't know] what I don't know, but not [what I don't know] that I don't know.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Here's my latest, just got it two weeks ago. Plays like butter, looks way better up close than in photos.

I believe you that it looks better in person. But MAN, it looks good in the pic too!

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
This is (nearly) the same floor model as Alex Lifeson playing in the photo at the Taylor Hawkins tribute. (He’s playing a turbo version which has about 14% more CPU. Processors upgraded changed the address supply chain issues; 450mhz to 500mhz.)

Cooper Carter

Leon Todd

Nice thing about Fractal is that the algorithms are the same across all the different platforms. The main variable is CPU processing and how many blocks you can run. Also I/O options.

No need to settle for one heavy amp.

Have them all including trainwrecks, Dumble, Cameron, CAE, Soldano, etc. including your fenders (tweeds, Bassman, Black face/silver face, deluxe reverb, twin reverb, super reverb, vibro deluxe, Blues Junior, Princeton ,etc.), Marshalls (slp, plexis, JCM, jtm45, etc.), Mesa’s, Vox Ac20 AC30, matchbox etc.

On top of amplifier choices from the 300 in inventory, you also have 2000+ cabinets to choose from if you wish. Speaker Impedance curves and tools to match. These three things change the sound dramatically.

Choices. Wink

Casual FM9 walkabout by Brett Kingman (a great guy to follow for anything related to guitar)

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I am a Strat guy that owns a couple PRSs.
The HollowbodyII is a great buy.
I say that, but next on my list will be a Reverend with the P90s.

Absolutely EVERTHING sounds great out of a 65 Princeton Reverb. Pretty much all of the recording studios can't be wrong.

Best to go put your hands on as many guitars as you can. The right one will speak to you.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I've pared my setup down to a beat up 20 year old Les Paul and a 15W gen 2 evh 5150 head driving a mesa 1x12. I play metal. Poorly. Chug chug chug...

Enjoy! Check out https://www.kieselguitars.com/

I think often about getting a new axe.

Posts: 5132 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
I've pared my setup down to a beat up 20 year old Les Paul and a 15W gen 2 evh 5150 head driving a mesa 1x12. I play metal. Poorly. Chug chug chug...

We can be friends. Same rig here, but a 6505+ through a Soldano 4X12.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Ha ha ha ^^^ g1 p220smudge. Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That's a mean set up right there!

\../

Posts: 5132 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I play a hot rodded PRS into a Splawn Competition 50W into an old Ibanez 4x12 with beautifully broken in Creambacks. It's a eclectic rig but nails everything from AC/DC to Van Halen to early Metallica.
I had to trade in my Fractal modeler. I was spending all of my guitar practice time on fiddling with the literal endless combination of awesome it provides. I needed to go back to a straight in and out tube amp.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's a mean set up right there!

\../

Oh, it's pretty savage. I put in an order for an SLO-100 head back in April, and we're coming up on the six months they quoted. That probably ain't happening now unless someone wants to buy my minty TriAmp MkII Head.

quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Splawn Competition 50W

Splawn makes a hell of an amp. Not familiar with the Competition, but the Nitro is a modern classic.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
... So, obviously I highly recommend Lollar pickups. ...
Absolutely. I've got a set of P90s personally built by P220 Smudge in my Les Paul and some Lollar Blackface in my Strat and a couple other sets of Lollars ready for some other guitars.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I have a dream rig, but I'll share what I currently have guitar wise
- Yamaha tone wood acoustic/electric
- 1987 Charvel Model 6
-- Kahler Locking nut
-- Floyd Rose licensed Tremolo
- VOX 30amp Modeling amp
- Boss GT-1 effects

Pretty simple but it's just me playing for me.

This is not my actual guitar, but this is the exact model/color/config. Wish I had the case.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Here's some of my rig.

Posts: 3529 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Why all youze guys' guitars intact? Where are the taken apart ones??

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
Why all youze guys' guitars intact? Where are the taken apart ones??

I found them a lot more difficult to play when they're in pieces.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of my guitars are custom made Left Handed Hamer USA's. Sadly Fender bought Hamer and let them die out. Hamer USA made top notch guitars.

I like P-90's and use Harmonic Design VP-90's in couple guitars. I have a Dr. Z Z-28 2x10 that loves to be opened up and played at volume. I also have a Fender Vibro King from 1994 that is now as "Vintage" as the 60's Fenders were in the 90's.

The more you play at performance levels, they more you learn that a non-master volume tube amp, at the right volume, using the guitar volume to control clean to crunch, and an overdrive pedal for lead, is the optimum setup. Every high gain channel switcher I've heard at gig volume gets lost in the mix due to compressed fizz. Rack systems programmed by goofs at low volume are too wet with effects at gig volume.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I had to trade in my Fractal modeler. I was spending all of my guitar practice time on fiddling with the literal endless combination of awesome it provides. I needed to go back to a straight in and out tube amp.

That's a legit risk with me. "Get cher' head aaughta yer ass r0gue and practice the friggen instrument!"

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Here's some of my rig.

WOW Rick!!!!!! Eek

I take it you play professionally (or at least semi professionally)? What make are those guitars? They look Telecaster'ish, but maybe not exactly..?