SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    PayPal Strikes Again
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PayPal Strikes Again Login/Join 
posted
For those of you that still use PayPal, you should stop immediately. While in the past we were forced to use them on eBay, they shut down our payment processing and seized around $13,000 in our account saying we had violated their Acceptable Use Policy. Here's the thing, nothing we sold on eBay violated that, because well they use the blanket statement "Certain Firearm Accessories and Parts are banned from Sale". Don't tell you what parts, because then they can choose at whim what to shut down a small business for. Held our money for six months, well last week they changed their policy stating they would no longer absorb violation fees that they pay to the U.S. Government. Oh and these "violations" are $2500 a pop. They have NO ACTUAL PAPERWORK on what we violated, and refuse to give us anything. Only $2500 violation I can think of would be ITAR, and we don't ship outside of the US. So they kept our $13,000 dollars saying it was fees for violations, haven't told us what it was nor will tell us, and because of the current political climate we can even get our own Sheriff's Department to file charges. They say somewhere buried in the legalese will be clauses that they can do this. Add in that PayPal is super friendly with our current governor and they are in the same f'ing building as our state Attorney General means that money is gone forever. A few months payroll for one employee gone. Bonuses for employees gone. All highly criminal behavior, but completely legal because our illustrious Government has allowed corporations more rights than actual people. Think we were the only ones? Nope, everyones favorite grip appliqué Tractiongrips, Type 01 FFL Dealer has had their eBay account suspended, and I would guess at this point their account drained as well. Don emailed us this morning with Google Ad Sense terminating his account without ANY PRIOR VIOLATIONS OR REASON, stating it is due to a change in their policies. Wake up people, Big Brother doesn't have to ban shit, they're getting their corporate lackeys to do all the work for them.

Posts: 134 | Registered: August 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Wow!

Have you discussed with an attorney? Maybe one who will sue for actual plus punitive damages?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31451 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Does paypal fall under any usual banking regulations? FTC?

They took $300 of my funds in an ebay scam years ago. I spent days arguing with paypal/ebay and never got any reason why even after they determined I had done nothing wrong. There is no higher up level to appeal to.

It had nothing to do with guns or gun parts, it was about a fraudulent motorcycle auction scam by a hacker using my account name. And I was the one who reported it!

Posts: 11199 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Cancelled my paypal account months ago, kept getting emails from them to login and change password as someone was trying to use my account.

Closed it and left.. Adios Mo-Fo's

I thought maybe Venmo would be a good option but it's owned by PayPal...

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
They can also hold payment to vendors for up to 31 days for "review," with no other reason required or specified. No one is apparently policing their business policies, or holding them accountable.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
$13,000?

That's THEFT, pure and simple.

Lawyer up.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
For $13K? Lawyer. Federal District Court. Looks like you're in NC, correct? You could do much worse than NC and worse than the 4th Circuit if it ends up somehow at the appellate level.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16317 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I was unaware that anyone still used Paypal at all anymore.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17568 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
I wouldn't, but for my incessant need to acquire work related items for a decent price. The default payment method, often REQUIRED PAYMENT METHOD on ebay, is PayPal.

Between them and Amazon I dump a LOT of money to save, on average, about 25% for the types of things I buy. I wish there were other options, but alas, not right now.

Now one thing I do to protect myself as a buyer on ebay/PayPal, is use a CC to pay, which allows me to contact the CC company if necessary, to dispute a payment.

Hope you guys find a way to make things right at Galloway.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6373 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Lawyer time.

Or maybe Small Claims Court. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I started pointing this out about six years ago.

I've posted about this on SIGforum several times.

And was roundly derided each time as having my tin foil hat to tight or knowing nothing about the law.

So, I'm taking advantage of GallowayPrecision's misfortune to say

"See??!?!? I told you so!!!!"

Oh, and GallowayPrecision... Sorry about them stealing your money.

PayPal is claiming it was violation of some federal or state statute or regulation simply to make you go away. The fed.gov has no grounds to assess fines against PayPal for any ITAR violation by your firm, the fed.gov must come after you. The same for violations of 27 CFR 478.

Hidden in the User Agreement is an arbitration provision. I highly recommend invoking it. At least that way they must tell you exactly what you did wrong.

ETA: I sent an email to the eddress in your profile.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32055 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read their EULA or whatever and decided not to go with them years ago.

Don't feel alone. A few years ago B of A tried to foreclose on my house, wrongly of course. I settled for a few thousand payoff and release of my note.

Posts: 17261 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
If they violated the agreement with you, you should sue them.

Your post doesn't give enough information to decide whether they did or did not. I understand that you believe they did, but - as is always true - there are almost always two sides to a commercial dispute.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Wow!

Have you discussed with an attorney? Maybe one who will sue for actual plus punitive damages?

Punitive damages are almost never available in commercial, contract disputes.

He would have to be able to allege some tort (fraud, for example) to be eligible to make a claim for punitive damages. Fraud or theft/conversion are usually hard to establish in the context of pre-existing relationships already governed by a contract. Hard, but not impossible.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ummm.... 13K? Lawyer time. Even if your attorney fees take a bite out of any recovery, it might be worth the cost to shove this up their ass.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Any remaining desire to ever use PayPal again has been removed.

Posts: 28692 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
It's easy for them to pick on a retailer or two. They have done this enough to warrant a class action suit from several vendors. The only way to combat this is to fit them in the pocketbooks...via lawsuits and punitive judgement.

Posts: 1368 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

I use paypal all the time, including to purchase firearms. It goes through as a gift, no explanation as to what's bought. It's none of their business. I've bought a few dozen firearms that way.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
I think you folks advising GallowayPrecision may not know how much lawyers cost nowadays. With no clear path to victory, and there rarely is in these sorts of disputes, it could very well end up good money after bad. GallowayPrecision, proceed with caution; don't let emotion govern your next moves.

Posts: 1853 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
"small claims court" will end up being a paper judgement with no manner of collection in many states. So he's still out his $13,000.

I asked previously, does anyone know if paypal falls under any government regulatory agency?

Posts: 11199 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post