SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    PayPal Strikes Again
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PayPal Strikes Again Login/Join 
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Is paypal still a solely owned subsidiary of ebay?

It was, but has it changed? When I was selling and buying on ebay, paypal was the only option for payment. That way ebay and paypal made money. The only way around that was for a buyer/seller to agree on other manners of payment w/o paypal or ebay knowing.

I haven't used either for years.

it was, as you say, but now it is not,

not sure of the new connection, however ebay is going to managed pay, which so far seems to be OK for us,

we switched last week, and finally were able to get the funds from our older locked account as well,

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10592 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
Like some (most?) of you I have used paypal in the past to conduct sales transactions and I have to say I am more than concerned about this.

For those of you who have dropped paypal, what are you using instead? I am selling of the last of my rarely owned pistols, holsters, mags, etc. and won't do FTF transactions so I would like a safe, risk free way to sell online without waiting on snail mail for POs. Any suggestions?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FPNunes,

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1600 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FPNunes:
Like some (most?) of you I have used paypal in the past to conduct sales transactions and I have to say I am more than concerned about this.

For those of you who have dropped paypal, what are you using instead? I am selling of the last of my rarely owned pistols, holsters, mags, etc. and won't do FTF transactions so I would like a safe, risk way to sell online without waiting on snail mail for POs. Any suggestions?

Recently I used "Venmo" for a baseball glove repair.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14042 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
PP and eBay are sorry bastards. I haven't been there in a long time, but they had no shortage of pirated and counterfeit goods, let alone defective items sold as NIB. But the capricious enforcement of vague and shifting prohibitions is pretty shitty.

Good Luck @GallowayPrecision. I hope you get your money back.

Posts: 5784 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:
PP and eBay are sorry bastards. I haven't been there in a long time, but they had no shortage of pirated and counterfeit goods, let alone defective items sold as NIB. But the capricious enforcement of vague and shifting prohibitions is pretty shitty.
Yes, indeed. Preach it.

Posts: 109165 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Venmo is owned by Paypal

Posts: 808 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tn226:

Venmo is owned by Paypal
That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for confirming that.

How about Zelle? My bank offers it but I have not used it yet. I think (not positive) that it is German-owned and free to use. Available at my bank for personal accounts but not for business accounts.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31451 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Tn226:

Venmo is owned by Paypal
That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for confirming that.

How about Zelle? My bank offers it but I have not used it yet. I think (not positive) that it is German-owned and free to use. Available at my bank for personal accounts but not for business accounts.

Zelle (payment service) - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Zelle_(payment_service)
Zelle is a United States-based digital payments network owned by Early Warning Services, a private financial services company owned by the banks Bank of America, BB&T, Capital One, JPMorgan Chase, PNC Bank, US Bank, Citibank and Wells Fargo.

Posts: 808 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lahilljack
posted Hide Post
I've used Zelle several times for personal stuff and has worked 100%.

Mike

Posts: 692 | Location: Adams County, Ohio | Registered: June 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm reaching out to Zazzle, they're the new kid on the block and allow payment for a lot of things that PayPal and other payment options won't allow processed. Trying to let them know if they side with the 2A community they won't be sorry.

Posts: 134 | Registered: August 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redleg2/9:
I have used PayPal for both buying and selling for years, without every losing a penny.

I have a PayPal specific bank account that never has more than $25 in the account and it is backed by a debit card. I put money into the account when I buy and immediately transfer money from PayPal and then transfer it immediately from the account to another personal account.

Extra work, but no exposure. I never allow money to sit in my bank PayPal account.
same here. Exactly.

PayPal are hypocrites. You buy gun items on eBay and pay via PayPal nobody says boo.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3296 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I know that this isn't be best way to raise this, but you guys should probably talk to a lawyer that handles consumer protection law. Each state has their own specific law, and I know that Washington State has it's own special brand of F'dness with the law, but this almost certainly wouldn't stand. Either the arbitration or the $2500 assessment. And this State allows for attorney fees, treble damages and punitive damages for unfair or deceptive acts. And the WA Supreme Court has held that stuff like this that was done with Cell phone contracts was unlawful. So you should probably reach out to some, especially if there is the possibility of class actions. Seek advise, don't just assume you vs. Paypal = lose. And you are a consumer of services with Paypal and entitled to whatever protection your state gives you.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2081 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just purchased various firearm parts and supplies using paypal, direct to a major firearm manufacturer who asked for the transaction that way. No problem. Sent "friends and family."

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I just purchased various firearm parts and supplies using paypal, direct to a major firearm manufacturer who asked for the transaction that way. No problem. Sent "friends and family."

[Austin Powers impression] I too like to live dangerously.

Posts: 28692 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's nothing dangerous about it. I ordered parts from the firearms company; I was asked to use paypal, friends and family, which I did, using the friends and family function. Depending on what accounts are used, there's no cost. In my case, I paid a small fee for using it, which I had no issue doing. I received the items a few days later.

I've bought perhaps a dozen or two firearms here, on this website, from individuals, and paid through paypal each time. Friends and family; it becomes simply a money transfer, no details of the purpose.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
There's nothing dangerous about it.
Not, directly, but you're abetting an enemy of gunowners, and you're using the services of a company which oozes contempt for its customers. You're posting your comments in a thread where the OP tells us that PayPal has seized thousands of dollars from them. Your post suggests that you had no choice in the manner of transaction, but you probably shouldn't broadcast that you're using these the services of these crooks, not in this forum anyway.

Posts: 109165 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
[Austin Powers impression] I too like to live dangerously.

I've done it for parts n pieces, magazines etc, and so far its worked well same as sns3, just be smart and don't put "AR-15 EBR 100 Round mags" in the description...

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Yeah I’ve used PayPal too to buy gun stuff but that was before I learned about them being assholes.

I don’t know guys...if I was using an extremely anti gun company that stole thousands of dollars from firearms retailers and members of this forum I guess I wouldn’t brag about it.

Especially 3 minutes after the boss recommended against it Wink

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15277 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
Yeah I’ve used PayPal too to buy gun stuff but that was before I learned about them being assholes.

I don’t know guys...if I was using an extremely anti gun company that stole thousands of dollars from firearms retailers and members of this forum I guess I wouldn’t brag about it.

Especially 3 minutes after the boss recommended against it Wink

Well, now you're making too much sense. I've used PayPal for a bunch of non firearm purchases but no more. Never used them for a firearm part purchase. They are a den of thieves.

Posts: 7687 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Paypal and I are done. Had some security issues a few months ago and among them were a few random charges on my Paypal that I hadn't made. Nobody else has ever had access to it, and I know I haven't used Paypal in a year or more. Disputed the charges with the CC company I had tied to my account and suddenly PP was all about wanting me to update everything so that I could pay for the fraudulent charges that the CC company reversed. Nah, sorry lol. Not happening.

I haven't used Ebay since 2010, either. I listed a guitar pre-amp and clearly stated "CONUS shipping only. Sorry, no international bidders." Some guy in Israel didn't read and did a "Buy it Now" and then wanted to argue with me over the shipping. Ebay said I had to send it to him because they'd updated their policies and I couldn't refuse to ship it or they'd ban my account. After a week of back and forth with both Ebay and the buyer, he posted negative feedback and said I was a deadbeat seller. I disputed the feedback as he posted it the day after it shipped out to him via his chosen method and Ebay basically told me "oh well, that sucks for you, you should have just shipped it to him." So a long-held account with 100% positive feedback prior to that incident got sullied with one bad deal with a fucking lying idiot. I'm just lucky they didn't take my money as well.

These assholes really seem to hate their customers and they change their rules all the time, and ever to the detriment of the customer. Ebay and Paypal will never see further business from me.

Posts: 17675 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post