SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I don't want an electric car
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I don't want an electric car Login/Join 
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted
I don't want an electric car.

I live in the SF Bay Area, which seems to be the Mecca of these things. I've ridden in them, driven them, and quite frankly have zero interest in ever owning one.

I've been able to watch friend's and co-workers' EV's go full brick. One co-worker is having to wait 8 weeks to have a new battery installed in her quite new Tesla. Range is atrocious and you are stuck using a digital payment method while you wait to re-charge.

I work in a profession where folks drive all day every day. The options for 2024 are terrible. The Ford Explorer PPV sucks in ever form. Dodge (Stellantis) is discontinuing the Charger this year in favor of an EV reboot. GM is introducing an EV "Blazer" PPV.

I can hop in my gas-powered truck and drive across the country using cash to pay. I can hop on a gas powered motorcycle and do the same. We "hot-seated" Ford Crown Vic's at work for years often driving the same car nearly 24 hours a day without issue. My gas vehicles last 20+ years without issue. There is no way these EV vehicles will last even 10 years.

It feels like EV is being crammed down my throat.

I do not want one, and no, I do not think they are "the future," no matter how hard governments and companies try to force it.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no possible way to charge one and dont plan on installing a charger.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Well, The new Dodge Charger does have a legit transmission tunnel, so...

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Well, The new Dodge Charger does have a legit transmission tunnel, so...

Rumor is that the next gen Charger will get the turbo 6 that the Wagoneer has & the Daytona will be the EV model

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
My wife just got her company issued Mustang Mach E. About a week in and she lives it. Her company paid to get a charger installed at the house and they pay for the power consumption of the vehicle.

Have to admit the new technology is pretty neat but agree with the assessment of it being forced upon us. The battery storage looks to be going down faster than advertised.

IMO, they should be pushing the hybrid more. Super efficient gas mileage with battery use. At least for the near term while improving battery technology

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5752 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
no ev in my future!!

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Nor in mine.

If these "green" idiots were so interested in "saving the earth", don't they realize that when they have to discard that EV that it will pollute the earth a MILLION times over what an ICE vehicle would have in the same time period???

Sometimes you just can't fix stupid...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I have no possible way to charge one and dont plan on installing a charger.
Can you imagine trying to survive northern Michigan and the Yoop with an EV?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm keeping my car for 2.5 more years until the extended warranty runs out. If they make an electric that suites my needs I will buy it. Range doesn't matter to me, I could bike to work. My criteria are higher ratio HP to weight than I can get in a gas car; under $45k; 0-60 under 5.5s; 8 year battery warranty; and local repair shops.

Give me those things and I'll buy one in a second.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you don’t want one don’t buy one it’s pretty simple. Unless your 10 there will be plenty of ICE vehicles available the rest of your life.

As far as the Charger Tim Kuniskus said it wil be built on the SLA large car platform that is a flexible chassis that can be built using ICE, hybrid or full EV.

It will be initially available with two versions of the Hurricane TT inline six. One on low boost that is a little over 400hp and one higher performance option that is a little over 500hp. It will have AWD with a button to turn it off if you like.

It will also be available as a fully electric car and a hybrid as well. Then who knows from there. There has been rumor of a next gen Hemi as well but I kinda doubt that.

The whole EV thing is not taking off in America like the manufacturers thought so I believe ICE will be around for longer than most people realize. In other countries with $8+ dollars a gallon for gasoline, good public transportation and shorter driving distances it was an easy sell.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No need to worry. The 2035 changeover all the automakers are claiming is just virtue signaling. It'll be 50 more years before EVs are mainstream.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I just bought my lease out. '21 BMW 230i, zero options. Planning on keeping it until I die. Gas burning, manual transmission, RWD. Fuck EVs!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I confess to have bought a half-electric car: the Mazda CX-90 PHEV. I like it, but I’m leasing it to see how it works out. All today’s car batteries for EV’s are transitional techn9logy. In a few years batteries will be solid state, more efficient, safer, fewer rare earth minerals. Better for the environment. Longer range. Toho5a has an ounc3d they will start producing these around 2027-28. So I would t buy a full EV today.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
On the second day of my 1,600 mile drive from Northern Michigan to Southwest Florida, I stopped at Buc-ee’s in Northern Georgia. I had extra Buc-ee’s “water jugs”, Wink, from a previous visit and I took advantage of the lowest diesel price on the entire trip. I made the remaining 600 miles with one 20 minute stop at a rest area in Florida.

In case any one needs one, I noted all 12 Tesla Superchargers at that Buc-ee’s were empty.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
In case any one needs one, I noted all 12 Tesla Superchargers at that Buc-ee’s were empty.

That's interesting, at some point fuel stations have to convert to EV charging stations, and the cost will be high considering all the red tape, permits, inspections etc that will go along with it, just as they are with fuel.

Wonder if the EV chargers will sustain themselves as long as ICE fuel pumps do, cold, hot, rain, hurricanes, stupid people.

GM, Ford and Stellantis have all backed off the EV drive, it's simple, they can't build inexpensive EV's, and the majority of people can't afford them, when a similar ICE vehicle is $10 - $20K less.

Read where they estimate that with all costs of EV ownership calculated the cost per gallon equivalent to charge is $17 a gallon to run an EV. Link

OP's problem is, he has limited time for his ICE vehicle, CA is banning the sale of ICE by 2035, there is a movement to stop that by R in the house but it's going nowhere, the senate will never ratify it and Two Scoops won't sign it.

CA is a big car market, but the big three are backing down production, namely inexpensive EV's, Toyota doesn't want in the market, they predicted this would happen. So that opens to door for China to take over the US car market by supply of EV's to CA to meet the mandate, and we saw Herr Newsom in a CA EV SUV, so you know he's talking to the Chinese about importing large numbers of their products.

Link Newsom partners with Shanghai on Climate, EV's

It's a brave new world... Californians, you will assimilate....

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I just bought an Audi RS5 with a V8 out of spite.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
No way in hell am I going with an EV. The whole "push" is ripe with dishonesty. Green my ass!

Maybe hydrogen or some fuel cell technology in the future may prove to be a viable alternative to internal combustion engines. But today's EV's aren't period.

‘Overcharged’: Major Study Reveals Alarming True Cost of Owning an EV, ‘Fueling’ Equal to $17.33 Per Gallon

https://www.thegatewaypundit.c...ng-true-cost-owning/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
I just bought an Audi RS5 with a V8 out of spite.
I have to admit that, when I bought my Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5.7L HEMI, one of the thoughts that ran through my head was "This oughtta piss off the tree-huggers."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It really was interesting. I would have thought Buc-ee’s would have been a great place to kill some time while waiting for your EV to charge. Plus, there are three of them along this stretch of I-75, but they may be spaced too far apart for most EV’s range.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I hope never to have to buy any car, and certainly not an electric one.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post