SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "Reloader" blows up his house
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Reloader" blows up his house Login/Join 
Picture of DEC505
posted
https://www.fox13news.com/news...-seriously-injured-2

In talking with several other reloaders, we have tried to figure out what would cause such a massive explosion with no fire .

Hell has no fury like a liberal
confronted with reality

Posts: 814 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
He was working with something, but it sure as hell wasn't smokeless powder! Unless he had Win 296 or another fast burning powder in a closed container. I'm gonna guess maybe he was loading black powder rounds or messing with other volatile chemicals. I'm sure the arson people will figure it out with residue traces all over the place.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Did anyone hear "Downton" playing?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43802 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Newspapers get all kinds of things wrong. I doubt that explosion was from reloading smokeless powder from a factory container.

Smokeless powder burns when not constrained. Where a few pounds of BP could have done that amount of damage.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11239 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, if I had to guess, it would involve a large quantity of blackpowder, not smokeless

Posts: 2465 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is hard to imagine that was caused by smokeless powder.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks like a natural gas explosion to me. He might have had a gas leak and didn’t smell it because of all the chemicals he had out.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
I’m in the gas leak/explosion boat too.....no way did smokeless powders cause that damage. I’ve been to several gas explosions in my career and that type of damage is consistent with what I’ve seen.

Posts: 3112 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Seems unrealistic. Unless he dropped the powder into a fan and had dust floating everywhere then caused a spark.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20749 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did anyone see the location?

-Florida-

Crazy people doing crazy shit in that state. Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8315 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Possible meth cooking related explosion and he is lying about the reloading?

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Try not to contain expanding gases

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29602 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
could improperly stored primers play a role? I guess it would take a lot of primers in a tight container to do this....

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
could improperly stored primers play a role? I guess it would take a lot of primers in a tight container to do this....

They won't go off by themselves. It takes a hard blow or a flame or something along those lines to get them to go off.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
If that was from 6 pounds of smokeless powder then the government is wasting too much money on munitions. Even with high explosives (primers), I doubt you'll get that affect with the quantities people normally have. Plus, components are usually not contained. That is not from reloading supplies, something else was involved.

Posts: 4075 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
If that was from 6 pounds of smokeless powder then the government is wasting too much money on munitions. Even with high explosives (primers), I doubt you'll get that affect with the quantities people normally have. Plus, components are usually not contained. That is not from reloading supplies, something else was involved.

Only way 6 lbs of powder would do that is if the pressure were contained. Even then, that’s a lot more damage than I’d expect.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29602 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Did anyone see the location?

-Florida-

Crazy people doing crazy shit in that state. Wink

Hey hey hey! We resemble that remark! Razz

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised the narrative isn't "Right-wing gun nut blows hisself up making a bomb."

How did the feds & press let that one go by?

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
He was working with something, but it sure as hell wasn't smokeless powder! Unless he had Win 296 or another fast burning powder in a closed container. I'm gonna guess maybe he was loading black powder rounds or messing with other volatile chemicals. I'm sure the arson people will figure it out with residue traces all over the place.
I don't think of W296 (H110) as a fast-burning powder--it's about the slowest burning powder for handguns. I guess if you are accustomed to rifle ammo it would be pretty fast (H110 was created for the .30 Carbine round).

I don't think it is possible for smokeless powder (any kind) to do that kind of damage unless it had been deliberately confined and set off--not a normal practice during reloading. Something else was involved.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know how the guy survived being that close to an explosion that powerful. Something seems off.

Posts: 987 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post