SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Norm MacDonald has died
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Norm MacDonald has died Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Frown

The most underrated comedian of our time.

Oh, this one hurts.

Cancer. I wasn't even aware he was ill. Few people knew, apparently.

https://www.nydailynews.com/ne...ork4c73fq-story.html

Posts: 107261 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Damn. Loved him on SNL. Wiener dog jokes were great. His sitcom "Norm" was excellent. RIP Norm.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
He was one of our favorites, RIP, Norm.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Oh man... Frown

Yeah, this one was a blindside. Most unwelcome news.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Damn! Frown Norm MacDonald was always one of my favorite comedians.

RIP, Norm. We will miss you.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Norm MacDonald - Comic Genius

Now I understand why the man sometimes looked a bit doped up. He was on pain killers and anti-anxiety meds.

Hopefully, people in general will now begin to see what his fans saw during his life. "Genius" is an overused words, but Norm MacDonald was a genius, the real thing. In years to come, Norm MacDonald will take his place along side the likes of Andy Kaufman; unclassifiable comedy genius and uniqueness. When you first listen to the man, he sounds like so many other comedians, but if you invest the time, you may see what his fans see.

David Letterman helped promote MacDonald's career. After MacDonald was fired from SNL, Letterman had MacDonald on his show several times to keep him in the spotlight. If you want to see the real Norm MacDonald, watch this clip until the end. I don't care for Letterman's politics, but this is touching, truly, especially when it's two men who've avoided sentimentality like the plague. This is the very last comedian stand-up spot on Letterman's show before it ended.

Godspeed, Norm

Posts: 107261 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Aw damn. Another great one gone.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Oh no!

I’m gonna feel this one for a while.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man, that is very sad. RIP.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5149 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cripes!!!!! I just happened to be watching Billy Madison and I opened this up….. RIP. He was a good one.

Posts: 4024 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Damn Frown

I loved that guy

He was on the sitcom The Middle a few years ago and played a character just perfectly suited to him, Mike's very eccentric brother Rusty:

The Middle- The Mad Inventions of Rusty

IIRC he was a rare Hollywood conservative as well

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks para, miss the man already.
Rip Norm.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I was just thinking about him the other day.
He was the best.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I readily admit that I haven't seen most of his routines and interviews...but he was one of the few comedians that, every single time I saw him in any performance, he both made me laugh and feel good...and that is a rare combination. Not every single joke was funny, but he was funny.

My understanding is that he intentionally kept his cancer diagnosis quiet for a decade as he didn't want people to see or think of him any differently and didn't want it to affect his comedy:

The first routine that comes to my mind every single time I think of him will always be any of his portrayals of Senator Bob Dole:

Frown

Nightline: Bob Dole and Colin Powell - Saturday Night Live

Norm MacDonald as Bob Dole getting kicked out of the MTV Real World house:

https://streamable.com/21zg0

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Who could ever forget Turd Ferguson?

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I remember the post here a while back about the genius that is Norm. His delivery his way of stretching out a joke for 10 minutes etc. It took courage and intimate knowledge of comedy to pull that off. A true great a true genius. He is truly one of my favorites.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
That came outta nowhere. Sad news.

Always been a big fan.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Man, damn!

Posts: 3496 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Well
That.
Just.
SUCKS!!!!

RIP, Norm...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definite bummer. Read he had been fighting cancer for 9 years.

Semper Fidelis

Posts: 119 | Location: Missouri | Registered: August 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post