SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Tesla Owners here? EDIT: Picked up Model 3 today!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Tesla Owners here? EDIT: Picked up Model 3 today!! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Seems a Plaid is PLENTY capable on the track in capable hands (in this case, Willow Springs). A Model 3 Performance also is in the top 50 for course records.

I believe it’s the second fastest sedan ever tested around the ring.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
There was a good article posted from an early adopter of the Model S who put something like 350-400K miles on the car over 8yrs. I'll see if I can find it.

Summarized, he calculated TCO at about 20% of what a comparable vehicle had cost him previously.
I wonder if these electric cars will eventually bite the manufacturers in the ass because of the long term reliability.

Most people get rid of their car once it starts becoming unreliable. Fear of a big expense of an engine or transmission can also do it. Those two expenses are basically non existent and electric cars are unlikely to strand you because they won’t start.

With Tesla already working on a million mile battery I think people will hang onto their cars far longer than they do today.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
That's a valid point. Having worked at a lobbyist on Capitol Hill for the auto industry many years back, I can confirm that the dealers make their livelihood on F&I (finance and insurance/warranty) and Service. Take away the lucrative service business and it changes the calculus for dealers. Manufacturers are basically knocking the profit motives out of the local dealer model (which I'm ok with because 2/3 of them lack scruples in my personal experience).

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:

Doing the math with Cobb EMC @ I can fill it up my Model 3 Long Range at home for $6. Get around 300-350 miles. I'd say that's pretty freaking good. From what I've seen on the road super charger costs are closer to $15-$20 to fill up. I just haven't needed to use one yet.

Either way still significantly cheaper than gas.

Problem right now is that even used Model 3s 2-3 years old are selling basically at the cost of a brand new one. Only reason I bought new. Plus buying new you get the 120K warranty on the powertrain (Battery degradation guarantee & motor coverage).

This is what I wanted to know. Thanks!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34122 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I believe it’s the second fastest sedan ever tested around the ring.[/QUOTE]

I guess it depends on how you define a sedan but there are several Porsche Panameras and even Cayenes that were faster than the Plaid..

https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife

https://www.forbes.com/sites/a...ord/?sh=2610d49d78fc

It is however the fastest EV to set a time so far.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6322 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
KIA just beat Teslas record of charge time from NY to California. The total charge time for over 2000 miles was 7 hours and 10 minutes. Not sure why everyone has to take the most extreme examples of why EV’s won’t work for them. Most people really don’t drive that far very often. I personally haven’t driven over 300 miles in one sitting in my entire life. I’m not wasting my precious vacation time staring out a car window for several days of my vacation. If I can’t get their in half a day I’m flying.

Let’s say you go to grandma’s once a year and she honestly does live across the country. It’s not that expensive to rent a big comfy car and put 2000 miles on the rental.

You calling them extreme examples does not actually make examples outside of your experience extreme. I can’t fly with a wife, three kids, and a large dog. I’m not sure what you mean by 300 miles in one sitting. In November, I drove 4, 300 mile non-stop trips. In August, I did 1,600 miles in two days towing a boat. I did the same in June. This was a slow year for us because of COVID. slabsides45’s question was legitimate and respectfully asked. Unfortunately, an answer has yet to be provided. I know I can add 400 miles of range to my truck in 3 minutes at a properly functioning normal pump. It’s even faster if I use the big boy truck pumps.

The idea that people can just go rent ICE cars when they need to is ludicrous. You really think rental companies will have enough cars for all the people that drive to grandma’s house for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter and just have those cars sit unused the rest of the year?

Posts: 10958 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
KIA just beat Teslas record of charge time from NY to California. The total charge time for over 2000 miles was 7 hours and 10 minutes. Not sure why everyone has to take the most extreme examples of why EV’s won’t work for them. Most people really don’t drive that far very often. I personally haven’t driven over 300 miles in one sitting in my entire life. I’m not wasting my precious vacation time staring out a car window for several days of my vacation. If I can’t get their in half a day I’m flying.

Let’s say you go to grandma’s once a year and she honestly does live across the country. It’s not that expensive to rent a big comfy car and put 2000 miles on the rental.

You calling them extreme examples does not actually make examples outside of your experience extreme. I can’t fly with a wife, three kids, and a large dog. I’m not sure what you mean by 300 miles in one sitting. In November, I drove 4, 300 mile non-stop trips. In August, I did 1,600 miles in two days towing a boat. I did the same in June. This was a slow year for us because of COVID. slabsides45’s question was legitimate and respectfully asked. Unfortunately, an answer has yet to be provided. I know I can add 400 miles of range to my truck in 3 minutes at a properly functioning normal pump. It’s even faster if I use the big boy truck pumps.

The idea that people can just go rent ICE cars when they need to is ludicrous. You really think rental companies will have enough cars for all the people that drive to grandma’s house for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter and just have those cars sit unused the rest of the year?

Where did anyone say that EV’s will work for every single car owner?

I would say the vast majority of people probably live within one charge (800 miles) away from grandma. So for the vast majority of families at least one of their cars could be an EV right now and that percentage will continue to improve right along with the improvements in batteries.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Where did you answer the question posted by the person you quoted instead of posting your usual "extreme example" followed by "just rent a car" response when someone questions how long charging on the road take or how hard is it to find a place to charge?

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...860065774#1860065774

Posts: 10958 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
My e550 cabrio got 17mpg on the highway. Lovely car, but with all costs factored in, about 94¢ per mile.

My 3P is a small fraction of that(I have a 60 mile commute in Myrtle)

Admittedly, part of that is charging at work, using excess power, which the company has to buy, whether or not it is used.

Posts: 5740 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post